GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

anti theft window film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti theft window film

I was in Montreal, Canada last week and parked near china town for quick bite and found out some ****ing crackhead homeless guy broke driver side corner window (one behind passenger window) and took my tumi backpack with work laptop, 2 ipads (kids) and other valuables which cost close to $4000. filed a police report with Montreal city police and I know they aren't going to do anything... it was for kids snowboarding trip to mont tremblant and stopped by montreal so we had lots of stuffs in the cargo area.

I replaced the window myself yesterday and it was quite easy once you took modeling pieces off and the replacement window costed about $200 from dealer.

So, I'm searching for anti theft window film for car window as side windows are tempered glasses and i was wondering if anyone has installed these films before...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Any film product will keep the tempered glass from scattering but will not provide the rigidity to keep the pane in place. As long as the window operates, it would still be possible to just smash the glass and push it out of the frame.

I put on an aftermarket alarm that arms off the MB key fob. It can be installed with various sensors like motion, shock or tilt. It is after the fact but hopefully the perps will move on.

The best deterrent is not leaving any valuables in plain view.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM

Thanks for your opinion and i normally tried not to leave any stuffs in vehicle but this time we were on our way to Quebec City and stopped by Montreal just for quick bite and we had lots of stuffs in the cargo area. it doesn't hide perfectly although those are privacy tinted glasses.

Can you share your add on product?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I had a typical system installed to protect my new wheels since all four were stolen recently. The motion sensor was to chirp when someone got alongside the car but the IR windshield and laminated side glass didn’t let the microwaves through. The motion sensor would also detect someone reaching in but I didn’t need that feature. The tilt sensor is set to one-degree and will sound an alarm when a wheel gets off the ground. The impact sensor will pick up a strong thump. It does arm with the car’s locking so there is no need for a second remote.

Maybe you could put a darker film tint on the side and back glass and a legal tint on the front glass to make it harder to see in.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Sti
While not an automotive application. I installed some 3M safety and security film on my house windows. I needed to replace one of my windows due to a stone chip from some landscaping. The outside pane got a hole in it. Well, the 225 lbs house frammer took 20 minutes to get the inside pane out with his 23oz hammer, with the film installed. I was sold on that product. I wish they made that for cars?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._Window_Films/

Last edited by BIGsmoke; 05-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.