Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Engine Problem - GL350 Bluetec

Hey everyone!
I have a 2010 GL350 and the coil looking symbol (Pre-Glow indicator lamp) in the instrument cluster is not going out; sometimes, it stays on for hours, sometimes it stays on for a few minutes after starting the engine. What's weird is that the engine doesn't even need to warm up; I live in sunny SoCal

Has this happened to anyone? Is this a sign that my Bluetec will have future engine problems? I got a CEL before service and also got the CEL today as well after the pre glow lamp stayed on... I just had the car serviced less than 3K miles ago...Then again, I doubt the dealership did the whole service considering they crashed my car into a pole and did body work on my car without my permission!

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by newyorktoLA; 04-19-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Could mean anything, you need to pull the engine codes. Considering that it sounds like your Dealer isn't the most ethical, I'm sure they forgot to tighten something up. Find a new dealer/mechanic.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by amaycg
I just had the car serviced less than 3K miles ago...Then again, I doubt the dealership did the whole service considering they crashed my car into a pole and did body work on my car without my permission!
How's the lawsuit going?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Hey everyone!
I have a 2010 GL350 and the coil looking symbol (Pre-Glow indicator lamp) in the instrument cluster is not going out; sometimes, it stays on for hours, sometimes it stays on for a few minutes after starting the engine. What's weird is that the engine doesn't even need to warm up; I live in sunny SoCal

Has this happened to anyone? Is this a sign that my Bluetec will have future engine problems? I got a CEL before service and also got the CEL today as well after the pre glow lamp stayed on... I just had the car serviced less than 3K miles ago...Then again, I doubt the dealership did the whole service considering they crashed my car into a pole and did body work on my car without my permission!

Thanks for the feedback
Perhaps the full service included the crash and body work to fix it. S**t happens, but at least they need to be up front and candid about it.
Glo plug symbol that stays on usually means an engine electrical fault of some kind. If it flashes its serious, if it is on steady it's also serious but less so!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Thanks for the support you guys! The problem turned out to be a faulty ECU (at 53K miles?) and a couple of glow plugs (covered under extended warranty)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 BlueTech
This happened to my ML350 BlueTech two weeks ago.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the feedback
Local MB Dealer replaced glow plug control unit. Parts and labour came to $639.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 BlueTech
"The Best or Nothing'?!

I'm beginning to think 'Nothing' is the better option...my MB is definitely NOT turing out to be 'The Best'! I just picked up my ML350 BlueTech (108K miles) from my local dealer this past Tuesday following a week's worth of repairs. In addition to the glow plug warning light requiring the control unit replaced (see earlier post) I finally had to get the increasingly worse oil leak repaired. My car required the oil cooler seal replaced, at a cost of over $2300! I contacted Mercedes Canada H/O and they agreed to cover parts and 25% of labour (11 hrs). In the end, the total cost of both repais was almost $2400!
This morning on the way to church (about a mile from my home) the engine died...I mean DEAD! Had to get towed to dealership, less than a week since I picked it up. Doing a little Google search, it appears that 'catastrophic engine failure' is not uncommon with this engine. I'll find out tomorrow when the dealership opens, but I hope this isn't the case.
9 montha ago, my transfer case failed, fortunately under extended warranty, or it would have cost approx. $8000 to repair. I'm beginning to think I've bought a 'Mercedes Certified' LEMON! I bought a MB diesel because I thought I would be getting exceptional engineering, quality and therefore longevity...my expectations so far have not been met.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Ulster Roots
Local MB Dealer replaced glow plug control unit. Parts and labour came to $639.
About $135 for the part at discount, so guessing $250 new.
How many hours did they charge?
I replaced mine in about 1 hour.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by Ulster Roots
I'm beginning to think 'Nothing' is the better option...my MB is definitely NOT turing out to be 'The Best'! I just picked up my ML350 BlueTech (108K miles) from my local dealer this past Tuesday following a week's worth of repairs. In addition to the glow plug warning light requiring the control unit replaced (see earlier post) I finally had to get the increasingly worse oil leak repaired. My car required the oil cooler seal replaced, at a cost of over $2300! I contacted Mercedes Canada H/O and they agreed to cover parts and 25% of labour (11 hrs). In the end, the total cost of both repais was almost $2400!
This morning on the way to church (about a mile from my home) the engine died...I mean DEAD! Had to get towed to dealership, less than a week since I picked it up. Doing a little Google search, it appears that 'catastrophic engine failure' is not uncommon with this engine. I'll find out tomorrow when the dealership opens, but I hope this isn't the case.
9 montha ago, my transfer case failed, fortunately under extended warranty, or it would have cost approx. $8000 to repair. I'm beginning to think I've bought a 'Mercedes Certified' LEMON! I bought a MB diesel because I thought I would be getting exceptional engineering, quality and therefore longevity...my expectations so far have not been met.
Hi Ulster Roots, I share your pain. My 2010 ML350 Bluetec with 82K miles died under similar circumstances - the engine seized- less than a mile from my home and after a noticeable "clacking" sound in the engine upon startup, without any warning lights. All this after having numerous repairs including the oil cooler seal, AdBlue heater and pump, and glow plug replacements, all by the same dealer from where I bought the car new in 2010 with regular maintenance. What's the status on your, please? I found your thread in a Google search for "Bluetec engine problems" of which there appear to be plenty. Follow my current MBUSA saga in my thread here if interested: https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html