GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 carseat setup for 4 kids?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl450
GL450 carseat setup for 4 kids?

Hi, I have 4 kiddos, ages 6 (still in carseat but ready for booster), 3 and 14 month twins. What is the best way to configure the carseats so the 3rd row can still be accessed easily? I was thinking a carseat and booster on second row and 2 carseats on third row? Please let me know specific carseat brands that may work best also. Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by cmartin831; 05-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
I'd put the six yo on the passenger side second row, so that when he gets his booster it's easier to get into the third row. You didn't mention whether the 14mos are forward or backward facing - I could not get our backward facing sunshine kids seat to fit in the third row. YMMV. I also found that some kids love sitting in the third row with one seat up, the other down - as long as you're not hauling heavy objects. The look on the kid's face when you tell them to enter and exit via the trunk is priceless, as well as keeping some baggage capacity.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM

gl450
Thanks for your reply! yes, the two twins will be rear facing still. Thanks for letting me know the sunshine brand RF didn't work well for the 3rd row.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
That configuration will be tough to be honest. Mostly because of the rearfacing twins. I have 4 also but all 3 yrs apart. You need a car with captains seats. Acadia?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GL350
Here are some ideas that work for us.

Have the 6 year old sit in third row driver side so you can lean in(with second row tumbled forward) to help the 3 year old in third row passenger side as needed.

If you can avoid using the passenger side second row portion, you'll have better access to the third row. It will be real tight for two car seats on the remaining 60% portion though.

Keep front row passenger seat as far forward as possible to make the seat tip easy to operate.

I never bought seat belt extenders, but they would greatly help with the booster seats. It is a pain to get the belts buckled.

For when you get there- We've been able to fit a phil and teds Sport inline tandem stroller behind the third row. Recommend that you start looking at roof boxes for summer vacation!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
how many seatbelts are in the third row, is it a 3 seatter or 2.

im having my third kid this summer, and we have a 2 and 4 yr old. i have the 4 yr old in a recaro prosport,and the 2 yr in a recaro signo.
the newbie will be in the chicco rear facing convertible with base
im hoping to put them three across in our Denali. im pretty sure we can, but i was thinking of getting an MB GL , but i dont know if i can get three across in that.

by doing that, leaves us room in back for strollers etc.

even tho the 4 yr old can put her seatbelt on her self, i always check it and it would be tuffer for my wife to do so if she was in the thrid row.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
only 2 seats in the third row
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by tfinan
Here are some ideas that work for us.

Have the 6 year old sit in third row driver side so you can lean in(with second row tumbled forward) to help the 3 year old in third row passenger side as needed.

If you can avoid using the passenger side second row portion, you'll have better access to the third row. It will be real tight for two car seats on the remaining 60% portion though.

Keep front row passenger seat as far forward as possible to make the seat tip easy to operate.

I never bought seat belt extenders, but they would greatly help with the booster seats. It is a pain to get the belts buckled.

For when you get there- We've been able to fit a phil and teds Sport inline tandem stroller behind the third row. Recommend that you start looking at roof boxes for summer vacation!
2nd on ^this^

I've also got twins and one 2yrs older. We ran this configuration in our previous ML 3rd row.

Initially we ran the older in the 3rd row with ingress/egress through the hatch and the rear facing seats on each center row outboard position so it was easier to toss them in / out and buckle / unbuckle them.

I'll say that while hatch ingress/egress is 'fun', it is also 'somewhat' of a pain... bumper gets really dirty so you have to be careful of your clothes and the kids' clothes, the cover gets scuffed up on top, and they rely on you to get in out (cannot do it themselves really).

We later switched to 2 forward facing in center row left/middle positions and one in 3rd rown w/ center right seat folded flat). This was better, though it's true it is a bit of a tight fit having 2 seats crammed together on the 60% portion of the seat.

And yes seat belt access SUCKS - I sooooo wish I'd bought the extenders - ugh. Try to find the narrowest seats you can find. Keep a blanket on top of the folded seat, saves the seat 'back' (carpeted part) from getting mangled.

You do NOT want to deal w/ buckling infant/toddlers into 3rd row - I had a discectomy (herniated), very likely at least somewhat attributed to getting kids into/out of the !#$%^&* car - ugh.

I'll say, man oh MAN is it simply LIBERATING when you finally emerge from these woods! One's commando now finally, 2 are in butt-boosters - phew! What a change of life that makes! 8-) We've now flip-flopped - the twins are in the 3rd row of the GL, and the older one's in center / left.

You'll get there, you prolific sonnabish heh heh.

*steps on soapbox*

If you haven't, please have all non-booster (permanently installed) seats professionally installed, at least the first few times. Our local pigs (er, pohleece) do it. I was shocked how much better they got them, and soon became a pro at getting it 'right'. I'm aghast how many of my friends' seats are just plain WRONG, flopping about and what not.

ALSO

please do not rush to forward-face them, or to jump them into a booster, too soon - man do I see both of these scenarios too often, it's sickening (makes no mention of the dolts I see running their youngins riding shotgun!)

sorry - end rant! 8-)

Say, where you located? I'm about to toss a very decent double jogging stroller, an also decent double Jeep "umbrella" stroller (side/side on both), and a number of assorted boosters (all in excellent condition - never soiled - we take good care of our stuff). Jeep double would EASILY fit behind the utilized 3rd row).

I'm in CT, they're yours if you can come get them 8-).

And 2nd on the roofbox also - we just completed a 1500mi roadtrip in the GL with us 5 and my 2 inlaws. With the roofbox we were all VERY COMFORTABLE and we were able to take all our CRAP w/o any worry whatsoever. Of course it's 21 cubic feet 8-).

Good luck, and enjoy - man does it fly by.

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 05-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by cmartin831
Hi, I have 4 kiddos, ages 6 (still in carseat but ready for booster), 3 and 14 month twins. What is the best way to configure the carseats so the 3rd row can still be accessed easily? I was thinking a carseat and booster on second row and 2 carseats on third row? Please let me know specific carseat brands that may work best also. Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You might want to try the Sunshine 80. Two would fit the second rows, and you can still fold the seat. Two would fit the third row, and still have room for another person.

They're pricey though. I bought 6, I know