Rack and Pinion problem ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Audi A6 Avant, 02 Eurovan, 02 Discovery TD5, 95 Discovery Tdi
Rack and Pinion problem ?

Hi All,

I am new to this forum as I am a VAG (Volkswagen/Audi) and Land Rover owner but my sister has an 07 GL 320 CDI so please be kind !. She brought over her rig today as there was that dry grinding sound when turning sharp and I checked her PS reservoir and found it to be below minimum. Took look around and saw no leaks around the reservoir or upper part of the motor but when I looked underneath I discovered PS fluid around the bottom motor cover, near the rack and pinion arm.

I did a search on this forum for rack and pinion gear and found that more than a few owners had them replaced under warranty so I am just wondering if this is a common defect for this model. One owner even mentioned a tsb and recall that his was replaced under so anyone have info on this ?

She has taken it to the dealer since new and I spoke to her service advisor discribing the problem as it is 6 months past warranty ! He mentioned two fixes, for $1,500 replacing a control unit on the rack and pinion (??) or $5 k to replace the entire unit !! Never heard of a control unit (module ?) on a rack and pinion and cannot believe that the cost of a new unit would be so high and labor so expensive due to the location of the R & P (in the audi it is at the back of the engine next to the fire wall !).

I intend to remove the bottom cover and take a look closer tomorrow. In the event that it seems that the R & P is the problem then does anyone know of a good source for rebuilt R & P that would have improvement over stock since these seem to fail. No point putting another OEM part that is not improved that will fail in another 60 K miles.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Check my post in this section as there is a SA about our racks leaking. I forget it, but I started the thread here.

Good luck.

And yes there are sensors and a computer on the sterring colum, for what its worth.

They work with the ESP system, and give the computer the steering angle, as my dealer screwed it up when they installed a new rack, and we had to go back for them to fix it.

PS: Here is the thread my friend

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ks-07-09s.html
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Audi A6 Avant, 02 Eurovan, 02 Discovery TD5, 95 Discovery Tdi
Thanks much for the link to the bad steering rack thread. Don't know why it didn't show up on my search ?

Looks like this seems to be a common problem. Rebuilt racks seem to run between $500-$600. Will probably pick one up from the place I bought one from for my Audi. My Audi's showed signs of starting to fail and since I was having the transmission replaced it was easy access, otherwise it is over 6 hrs labor to replace this part since it behind the engine back by the firewall.

At least MB has the rack in an easy position.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Just had the rack replaced on my ML350CDI under warranty. It was showing the same symptoms, but there was no drips on the garage floor and I never noticed the leak in a cursory glance under the bonnet.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 ml 350 84K
2009 ML 350 Rack

My car never was leaking but at the 40k service for trans fluid filter change they noted the leak. Squeaked in under the 50k warranty..
I highly suggest this be checked before your warranty wears out..
Mine wasn't noted to be leaking or giving me a problem.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320cdi
Originally Posted by plova
Thanks much for the link to the bad steering rack thread. Don't know why it didn't show up on my search ?

Looks like this seems to be a common problem. Rebuilt racks seem to run between $500-$600. Will probably pick one up from the place I bought one from for my Audi. My Audi's showed signs of starting to fail and since I was having the transmission replaced it was easy access, otherwise it is over 6 hrs labor to replace this part since it behind the engine back by the firewall.

At least MB has the rack in an easy position.

Thanks,

Jeff
Where did you get the rebuilt unit?