GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Adding a sub or enhancing oem HK sub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Adding a sub or enhancing oem HK sub?

Stock HK system is mediocre at best, but could be decent with more bass. Has anyone added a subwoofer to the HK system? Looking to add something low profile/hidden that doesn't intrude on cargo space, and hits lower notes with authority without overpowering the HK speakers.

Stock sub sounds a bit better with the sub compartment open, so may look into modifying the cover if no better option can be found.

Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
My R was missing the stock HK sub when I bought it. It would've cost $1,500 to add the stock one back in so I decided to go for a custom setup. This is my first foray into the custom sound arena and let me tell you, I love my setup. The audio shop built me an enclosure that fits into the same space that the HK occupied in the spare tire well and accomodated two 6.5" JL 6W3V3 subwoofers. The base is much better than any stock system on any other MB I've used (no experience with Bang and Olufsen systems). There's an adjuster up front that adjusts the amount of bass I want and it can actually be overpowering at times so I need to turn the knob down. I find this to be a good thing as too much is better than not enough.

They basically built a unit that fits into the extra space above the spare tire well and below the cargo tray cover. In the event that I actually do have a flat, the sub enclosure is removable and I can access the spare. This was a necessity for me since this is our road trip car and getting rid of the sub is not an option. Since you have a Bluetec with no spared due to the adblue tank I don't know how much room you have to play with. I saw someone did this nice enclosure for a GL but it only works if you DON'T have the 3 zone climate control. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...r-install.html

I keep saying this, but I'm going to make a "build thread" of my project in the R63 forum so keep your eyes out for that and I'll show the enclosure.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally took the time and made a thread. You'll find a picture of my subwoofer box in there. I got rid of the atrocious cover and replaced it with an OEM one. The sub box fits neatly underneath and any unsuspecting person isn't the wiser when they see the trunk. It's only once you turn on the music you know something's not stock.

https://mbworld.org/forums/r63-amg-w...to-thread.html
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
JL flat piston (13" IIRC) in a custom box. Came in around $4k

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM

'97 E320
Both setups are really neat, but neither would work for me. The spare tire well houses the AdBlue tank in my GL, so don't think it's possible to fit anything in there. The floor mounted subwoofer looks really trick, but impedes too much on the cargo floor and takes away it's flatness. Only place I can really see adding a sub would be on the first aid kit-side of the cargo area. I wonder if there's enough space in there, if the first aid kit is removed...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by stickygreen
Both setups are really neat, but neither would work for me. The spare tire well houses the AdBlue tank in my GL, so don't think it's possible to fit anything in there. The floor mounted subwoofer looks really trick, but impedes too much on the cargo floor and takes away it's flatness. Only place I can really see adding a sub would be on the first aid kit-side of the cargo area. I wonder if there's enough space in there, if the first aid kit is removed...
I still have my full-size spare down there.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I said, if you don't have the three zone climate control it will fit in the first aid area.

Otherwise my dual sub install was inspired from a Ferrari build where they stuck the two six inch subs under the dashboard. The install was so slick it didn't take up any leg space. You can't even tell its there unless you look for it. Maybe they can so the same with yours.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 AM

'97 E320
Generic - do you have a pic of the subwoofer box installed? Having a bit of trouble imagining how that box would fit in there. My GL does have 3-zone CC, so I guess it won't fit.

justthebest - very cool setup, but I often fold the rear seats down to carry larger cargo, and would hate to be dragging things across the top of my woofer. I like the idea of a flat load floor, but this has given me an idea. Maybe a flat-top box can be made to take the place of the rear cover, while remaining flush with the floor. Gonna have to go out and stare at the GL fir a few...
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car's in the shop at the moment. Ill post when I get it back but it may not be until the end of the week.

In the meantime can you send me a photo of what it looks like under your adblue cargo cover? I want to see how much clearance there is and I can maybe say if there's enough room or not. Keep in mind on the R with H/K sound, the sub is mounted to the base of the cargo cover so when you lift it up it fits in the extra space between my spare tire and the cargo cover. My aftermarket solution takes up the same space. I don't know if the GL has clearance like the R since gas GLs have larger spares than the R. If you have H/K is your sub mounted in the bottom of that cover?
As you can see from my other thread I use to have a custom cover and it got scratched up. I wouldn't recommend it if you actually plan on hauling stuff since it is a truck after all.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 AM

'97 E320
Got it all figured out. Instead of messing around and spending $$$ to build my own box, just going to have one of these installed:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369313...v3.html?tp=112

And will likely power it with one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX25....html?tp=35834

Will end up leaving the box loose in the cargo area, but with rubber feet so it won't slide around. Still unsure if I'll have it set firing up or down, but either way it'll easily fit behind the rear seats, while still providing a flat surface for cargo to sit on if necessary. Also will be easily removable/transferable.

Which brings me to the two last questions before getting this all done:

1. Where could the small amplifier be mounted so that it is hidden/out of the way while still receiving adequate airflow to keep cool? It would easily fit below the cargo cover, but not sure it that would cause it to run hot

2. Can anyone recommend a good stereo shop familiar with these vehicles in the Northern/Central CA area to do the install properly? I don't mind the little local shop working on my work truck, but scared to let them touch the GL

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They mounted my amp under the driver's seat.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 550
Installed in your GL yet?

Originally Posted by stickygreen
Got it all figured out. Instead of messing around and spending $$$ to build my own box, just going to have one of these installed:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369313...v3.html?tp=112

And will likely power it with one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX25....html?tp=35834

Will end up leaving the box loose in the cargo area, but with rubber feet so it won't slide around. Still unsure if I'll have it set firing up or down, but either way it'll easily fit behind the rear seats, while still providing a flat surface for cargo to sit on if necessary. Also will be easily removable/transferable.

Which brings me to the two last questions before getting this all done:

1. Where could the small amplifier be mounted so that it is hidden/out of the way while still receiving adequate airflow to keep cool? It would easily fit below the cargo cover, but not sure it that would cause it to run hot

2. Can anyone recommend a good stereo shop familiar with these vehicles in the Northern/Central CA area to do the install properly? I don't mind the little local shop working on my work truck, but scared to let them touch the GL

Thanks!
If so, how does it sound?