Proud new owner of 2010 GL350 white!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 MB GL350
Proud new owner of 2010 GL350 white!!

Hello everyone,

As a previous owner of a high horsepowered but very impractical cars, I finally decided to trade in my 2009 MB C63 AMG for a mint 2010 GL350. So far, I am very happy with this behemoth of a vehicle for its practically and ease of use. I do however, like to ask you GL experts as I can't seem to find answers on the internet (I admit, I am horrible at searching stuff on the internet...)

-This car has conventional halogen lights. Is there any way I can convert or modify this into HID headlights? If so, what would be the cost. If not, what would you experts suggest?

-This car has conventional fog lights (two round ones on each side) as opposed to newer LED fog lights (single bar type). Is there anyway I can do to make change? (Can a dealer do it and if so, what would be the cost?)

Thank you very much,
Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Search for "mtec" xenon lights. A buddy of mine installed it on an 06 R350 with halogens and it worked without any errors. Cost will run you a couple hundred bucks.

The LEDs are doable but requires programming and possibly a new front Signal Acquisition Module (SAM). Since yours is a 2010 which means some GLs had it, you might not need a new SAM. The only thing would be to find a dealer that would cooperate with you and be willing to do it. But often times even with a mod friendly dealer like mine in Seattle, they've never done it before so I'd be possibly throwing hour after hour of labor money away as they search for an answer.

Others have installed OEM LEDs tied directly to their accessories so it comes on whenever the ignition is on #2. They then move their fog lights to somewhere behind the bumper so they won't get error codes. This is more of a workaround but can still achieve a similar result as the first. Search for this as another member did this on his GL.

Please update your profile with your location so I can help you better.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 AM

2010 MB GL350
Wow...that was quick. Thanks for the thoughtful advice "xxGenericSNxx". Doing some research in this forum leads me to believe that it isn't all that simple...sigh. I may order or pick up "Philips Crystal Vision Ultras" which, just by looking at the uploaded pictures here look half decent (unless of course I am totally wrong). Can someone else make suggestions on whether they look like cheap HID imitation lights or????

If its going to take too much effort/modifications to house a set of HID lights, I at least want to put in a set of 'bright lights' as they stock headlights are absolutely terrible....

Btw, xxGenericSNxx, I have updated my location and etc.

Thanks again,
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes stock halogens aren't bright and to me looks really cheap when viewing from the outside. I'm sure there's some shops in Vancouver that can help you out with the mod. If not, there's a few shops here in Seattle that I'd recommend.

I don't have any experience with the Philips Crystal so I can't help you there.

Edit:
Also save yourself the trouble and forget about buying any cheap xenon kits as they often times don't work and aren't very good quality. If you also want to avoid any hassle I'd just pay someone at a shop to do it. I had a xenon kit installed by a shop back in 1999 and it still works flawlessly. I've only had to replace one bulb last year. Just make sure you take it to a reputable shop that works on nicer cars and you should be set.

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 06-17-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 AM

2010 MB GL350
When you refer to a 'shop', you mean a MB dealer or a reputable vehicle tuner/shop? And what places would you recommend in Seattle then? And just one more question..does a shop install actual xenon lights or something similar?

I know....a noob that I am!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By shop I was referring to an aftermarket tuner place that does this type of work. MB dealers typically won't do this/ would only install OEM parts. Doing an OEM xenon retrofit is possible but would be a couple thousand dollars and the dealer may or may not have to do some STAR coding which often times is annoying because dealers don't know what they're doing. Thus racking up hours upon hours of labor.

The two shops in Seattle I'd recommend are CNC Autosports and Benchmark Motoring. I had my xenons installed by CNC over ten years ago and they're still operating like day one. I just had some audio work done by Benchmark and the work is also top notch. The shops would install 100% real xenon lights with ballasts. I'd try CNC first since I actually have experience with their lighting, albeit quite a while ago.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 PM

2010 MB GL350
I got ya...I will give them a call soon to make inquiries and thanks again for the advise. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to send me a quick message! Never knew I would have this much trouble trying to install HID lights...MB make HID standard on this $70k plus suv!!!