GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Guys i need quick answers regarding madia interface plus. Got 30min to give answer...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Guys i need quick answers regarding madia interface plus. Got 30min to give answer...

Got 2011 GL its in a dealer now getting some issues resolved. While there the guy told me about the MIP. Is it worth the 400 plus price tag? Anybody here did it? What does it do to my system now? How does it look like, any extra boxes that will take up the small glove compartment space??? Help fast as u need to give him answer in 30 min.
Thank You all!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by hubert
Got 2011 GL its in a dealer now getting some issues resolved. While there the guy told me about the MIP. Is it worth the 400 plus price tag? Anybody here did it? What does it do to my system now? How does it look like, any extra boxes that will take up the small glove compartment space??? Help fast as u need to give him answer in 30 min.
Thank You all!!!
Only benefit you get unless you have a blackberry is bluetooth audio streaming-worth it to me but up to you?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Did you buy it? If so, how about giving a review?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I got it but for now I can't seem to work it. My phone don't even play music thru the AUX cable anymore??? The instruction are there but they not that clear. I spoke to my service guy and I have to go back so they can explain how to work all the options. They olso gave me a 15% discount on the Box .
Originally Posted by cmarshack
Did you buy it? If so, how about giving a review?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

It is a total waste of money. I made the mistake of buying it for my 2012 GL450. I tried using it with an iPhone (which is specifically what it was designed for) and it does not work all that great. Here are the issues:

1. Audio streaming does not remove the need to actually control the music via the phone. You do not get a list of artists, albums, playlists, etc. You have to start playing on the phone and then it will allow you to switch tracks but only on whatever the phone is currently playing. You do not get to see the name of the song until it is already playing. My wife's MDX which cost $30k less than this car has complete integration and MB couldn't seem to get this right.
2. Pandora - To listen to pandora, your phone actually has to be plugged into the MIP box via its cable. Problem is that the cable is very short so you can not continue to have your phone with you in the center console. It has to be inside the glove box. I also was never able to get it to work. It constantly said that the pandora app was not installed.
3. No other features work - forget about sms or text reading. Nothing else works.
4. The volume on the phone is muted regardless whether or not the car is on the MIP mode or not. That means that you do not get alerts, notifications, or any other type of sound. If your kid is playing a game on your phone, there is no sound coming out of the phone.

Overall, this is a very bad accessory. You may as well go with the many aftermarket bluetooth devices that plug into the aux cable since they will provide you just about the same number of features at a much lower price.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Originally Posted by jhzafrani
You may as well go with the many aftermarket bluetooth devices that plug into the aux cable since they will provide you just about the same number of features at a much lower price.
Any suggestions on one of these aftermarkets? I have a 2009 GL550 with Bluetooth/iPod integration but there are no streaming options to stream my Spotify music from my Android device through my car sterero. My wife's Ford Taurus can do this and my MB cant? fail - anyway, I dont really use the iPod anymore since going to Spotify and would love to find a device I can stream my phone thru my MB stereo.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Franman
Any suggestions on one of these aftermarkets? I have a 2009 GL550 with Bluetooth/iPod integration but there are no streaming options to stream my Spotify music from my Android device through my car sterero. My wife's Ford Taurus can do this and my MB cant? fail - anyway, I dont really use the iPod anymore since going to Spotify and would love to find a device I can stream my phone thru my MB stereo.
I have used the Griffin Technology BlueTrip AUX in all of our cars and it works great!
Amazon Amazon

iPhone 4S users get an additional bonus that the button on the device also acts as a Siri button (it activates Siri when pressed).
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Originally Posted by jhzafrani
I have used the Griffin Technology BlueTrip AUX in all of our cars and it works great! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i00

iPhone 4S users get an additional bonus that the button on the device also acts as a Siri button (it activates Siri when pressed).
cool - I'm not sure I have an AUX input jack in the GL, but never needed one so I'll double check.

Also - since I already have bluetooth in my vehicle, is a device like this going to interefere with my phone-to-car bluetooth pairing? I dont want to use the device for phone calls, only streaming (but want to be able to still connect my phone to the vehicle at the same time to place calls.)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Franman
cool - I'm not sure I have an AUX input jack in the GL, but never needed one so I'll double check.

Also - since I already have bluetooth in my vehicle, is a device like this going to interefere with my phone-to-car bluetooth pairing? I dont want to use the device for phone calls, only streaming (but want to be able to still connect my phone to the vehicle at the same time to place calls.)
It will not interfere since Bluetooth works based on profile types. Meaning, your bluetooth integration only supports the headset and address book profiles while the streaming device supports the music streaming profile. As long as there are no conflicting profiles, the phone can be connected to multiple devices at the same time.

This is how I had it setup in my GL until I made the mistake and got the MIP. :-(
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got it to work but now if I want to conect thru AUX jack there is weird sound coming from the speakers and I can't seem to conect thru BT with the MB radio so I can use my phone thru the radios BT. Anybody knows if this is what I lose coecting that media interface plus?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn I got so embarasted today. I was showing of the MI+ to my friend and he was surprised at first and tought it was cool but than we sat in his 2012 Honda CRV(27 grand fully loaded) and out of curiosity he played around with his stereo because it has bluetooth and bam it played pandora and all the music he has on his iPhone. No problems like we have with the MI plus, it plays all the time and every time no need for clunky boxes that take half of the glove compartment space and do not work properly. What is happening to the best or nothing. I have a Lexus IS250 and it had this option in 2010 but I wasn't surprised because the Japaniese are light years ahead in technology but a Honda that's a quarter of the price has it already and working I would not say nothing if I bought the MI plus and it worked as it supposed to but it does not.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM

2011 GLK350
I was able to pick up the MI Plus off of eBay for $175. I have Samsung S3 and the bluetooth audio streaming works very well. It starts playing my Google Music right away and even shows song title info on the display. I have the MI Plus set up to do Media Streaming and the MB Bluetooth for call audio on my smartphone. Problem is that when I use my phone via BT, the sound is garbled. I have to disable the MI Plus on my phone to get rid of this garbled sound. Anyone know why this is happening? I am running the original firmware on the MI Plus, so not sure if I need to upgrade firmware to get rid of this issue.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM

2010 GL450
Originally Posted by sshams95
I was able to pick up the MI Plus off of eBay for $175. I have Samsung S3 and the bluetooth audio streaming works very well. It starts playing my Google Music right away and even shows song title info on the display. I have the MI Plus set up to do Media Streaming and the MB Bluetooth for call audio on my smartphone. Problem is that when I use my phone via BT, the sound is garbled. I have to disable the MI Plus on my phone to get rid of this garbled sound. Anyone know why this is happening? I am running the original firmware on the MI Plus, so not sure if I need to upgrade firmware to get rid of this issue.
I don't have a MIP, but looking at posts 6, 7 and 9 in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...iphone-4s.html - it may be an issue with the MIP.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I set the MIP to auto play in settings and it works most of the time now. The sound is really good from my iPhone 4s!!! Lets hope they will make a good software upgrade and it will be perfect.
Originally Posted by cranky1
I don't have a MIP, but looking at posts 6, 7 and 9 in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...iphone-4s.html - it may be an issue with the MIP.