GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

OEM Cross Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OEM Cross Bars

Am I the only crazy one to think that the OEM cross bars are just absolute garbage? I had purchased them for a road trip. Got them from the dealer on Saturday for a Tuesday trip and made the mistake of not opening them until Monday evening. I had assumed that they were the same as the OEM crossbars that were on my 08 GL (the year that they came with the car).

Apparently, they can only be mounted in one spot throughout the roof and they don't allow for the bars to be on the car all the way back since they don't fit size wise. They also introduce so much wind noise (yes, I did put the rubber insert in) that you can not drive with them on and the sunroof open. I went to the dealer who verified that I had installed them correctly and he said that there was really nothing to do about it. When I inquired about why they were changed from the 08 model, he said that it was because the rails are no longer hollow and do not have a track on them.

Does anyone else have an issues with the OEM crossbars? If so, how did you correct them? I figured that a $386 accessory should perform much better than this one does. It is one thing to drive with the box on top of the crossbars and the windows closed but when the box is off, why should I have to take the crossbars off to be able to drive with the windows or sunroof open?