GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Low pressure fuel pump issue

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Low pressure fuel pump issue

So my wife's '08 320 has failed to start two times now in the last month. Both times after waiting about five minutes the GL started but it took a long time to crank, >5 seconds. Dealership states the low pressure fuel pump was drawing too much current and it's being replaced. Thank God for the extended warranty.
Anyone else heard of this issue?
Bish
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by thebishman
So my wife's '08 320 has failed to start two times now in the last month. Both times after waiting about five minutes the GL started but it took a long time to crank, >5 seconds. Dealership states the low pressure fuel pump was drawing too much current and it's being replaced. Thank God for the extended warranty.
Anyone else heard of this issue?
Bish
awfully sounds like a clogged fuel filter... they do clog _a_lot_ and when they do they exhibit the exact behavior- will not start, but if sits for a bit it will after some cranking. once it starts - it will run.

a faulty pump (not able to achieve working pressure) will not maintain the engine running at all or will choke at higher rpms.

never heard of the low pressure pump (or the high one for that matter) going bad on the cdi motors... but there is always a first i guess. if the pump truly went bad at anything less than 250k miles - it is prolly the quality of the fuel ....

Last edited by alx; 08-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by alx
awfully sounds like a clogged fuel filter... they do clog _a_lot_ and when they do they exhibit the exact behavior- will not start, but if sits for a bit it will after some cranking. once it starts - it will run.

a faulty pump (not able to achieve working pressure) will not maintain the engine running at all or will choke at higher rpms.

never heard of the low pressure pump (or the high one for that matter) going bad on the cdi motors... but there is always a first i guess. if the pump truly went bad at anything less than 250k miles - it is prolly the quality of the fuel ....
Thanks for your thoughts. Apparently they found that the fuel pump in the tank was drawing way too many amps when it was tested and parked at the dealership so it's been replaced. We have followed the MB recommended maintenance to the letter so hopefully the fuel filter has been replaced as per the recommendations. Btw the GL just turned 4 years old and has 57K miles currently. The 2 year/25K extended warranty was well worth the money it seems.
Bish
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by thebishman
... so hopefully the fuel filter has been replaced as per the recommendations...
Bish
I have caught the dealership forgetting to service the adblue tank despite charging me for it and forgetting to replace the fuel filter.