GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Heat related loose rear view mirror in 2007 GL450

Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Heat related loose rear view mirror in 2007 GL450

Hi, I'm a newbie poster (although I have been on the posts quite a while). Question: my 2007 GL450 rear view mirror gets super loose in the heat (is fine in the cold). Has anyone heard of this problem before? I am trying to take it off and have the two plastic pieces off exposing the bast of the mirror. Any advice on how I take the actual mirror off? Or is there any point, in that is the mirror broken?

I have searched the forums as best I can but can't seem to find any clear guidance on taking the mirror off. Some threads mention sheer force but that makes me nervous. If there is a thread that describes this process for the 2007 GL450, please just advise and I shall not waste any more time.

I thank anyone in advance who can provide any guidance.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL320 CDI
Heat related loose mirror in 2007 GL320 / GL450

Hi:
I do not have any guidance on this, but the same issue. Reviving topic seeking input.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by GLinBC
Hi, I'm a newbie poster (although I have been on the posts quite a while). Question: my 2007 GL450 rear view mirror gets super loose in the heat (is fine in the cold). Has anyone heard of this problem before? I am trying to take it off and have the two plastic pieces off exposing the bast of the mirror. Any advice on how I take the actual mirror off? Or is there any point, in that is the mirror broken?

I have searched the forums as best I can but can't seem to find any clear guidance on taking the mirror off. Some threads mention sheer force but that makes me nervous. If there is a thread that describes this process for the 2007 GL450, please just advise and I shall not waste any more time.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Should be some videos on YouTube. Once off, remove front face and the rest will be easy. Try to use a plastic pry so you don't damage the plastic. Once everything is off, you remove the mirror mount and tighten the spring. Slide it back on and it will be tight again.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 AM
EWT

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
I've forgotten the details of how to remove the mirror (found instructions somewhere on this site), but I didn't have much luck trying to tighten the spring. I ended up putting some duct tape under the spring to increase the diameter of the plastic piece it clamps on which had the same effect. The mirror still stays put several years later.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 GL450
Simple fast $1 fix

Originally Posted by GLinBC

Bought a foam wax pad from dollar store. It’s about 1” thick - cut it and stuffed above mirror between mirror and roof of car. Works perfectly! Mirror doesn’t move even going over RR Tracks or in hot weather anymore. Amazingly simple fix and cheap. Try to find foam that matches your interior color and you don’t even notice it.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:42 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by MBenz driver
Bought a foam wax pad from dollar store. It’s about 1” thick - cut it and stuffed above mirror between mirror and roof of car. Works perfectly! Mirror doesn’t move even going over RR Tracks or in hot weather anymore. Amazingly simple fix and cheap. Try to find foam that matches your interior color and you don’t even notice it.
Thanks
Would you be able to post a photo of this fix?
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by TX07GL450
Thanks
Would you be able to post a photo of this fix?
Do you REALLY need a picture to envision a sponge jammed between the top of the mirror and the headliner? Sorry, just had to get a quick friendly jab in there for fun!
Old 05-05-2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisG01
Do you REALLY need a picture to envision a sponge jammed between the top of the mirror and the headliner? Sorry, just had to get a quick friendly jab in there for fun!
I understand that some people need more words to understand the question.
Mirror is connected to the roof using a plastic connection and ball and socket mechanism. The problem is that the ball and socket mechanism is loose and need to be tightened somehow. I am not sure how a piece of sponge gets in that ball and socket mechanism and fixes it.
And a picture could be worth more than a thousand words, not your picture of course 😉.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
I understand that some people need more words to understand the question.
Mirror is connected to the roof using a plastic connection and ball and socket mechanism. The problem is that the ball and socket mechanism is loose and need to be tightened somehow. I am not sure how a piece of sponge gets in that ball and socket mechanism and fixes it.
And a picture could be worth more than a thousand words, not your picture of course 😉.
Good - I'm glad to see the "poking fun" was returned in kind!

I believe what he means, though, is the foam is jammed in the space between the top of the mirror and the headliner/plastic console thingy. In other words, it puts slight downward pressure on the mirror to "take up the slop" in the ball and socket. Kind of like sticking a small piece of cardboard into the crack between two pieces of plastic to get rid of the annoying squeak.

Oh... and to answer the original question of cold/hot... it's just due to the contraction/expansion rate of different materials due to temp.

Last edited by DennisG01; 05-05-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:35 PM

Good - I'm glad to see the "poking fun" was returned in kind!

I believe what he means, though, is the foam is jammed in the space between the top of the mirror and the headliner/plastic console thingy. In other words, it puts slight downward pressure on the mirror to "take up the slop" in the ball and socket. Kind of like sticking a small piece of cardboard into the crack between two pieces of plastic to get rid of the annoying squeak.

Oh... and to answer the original question of cold/hot... it's just due to the contraction/expansion rate of different materials due to temp.
You're welcome!

According to your imaginatory visual and spatial skills, would a wax pad (1 inch thick, 4 inch diameter) would create enough tightness to keep mirror from moving? And what kind of aesthetic assault it could have caused if a bigger one would have used to create enough tightness, because I think there's about ~ 2-3 inches between mirror and roof.
so that's why I want to see a photo of the setup.
The rearview mirror in my GL feels too easy to move but it stays put so far.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
You're welcome!

According to your imaginatory visual and spatial skills, would a wax pad (1 inch thick, 4 inch diameter) would create enough tightness to keep mirror from moving? And what kind of aesthetic assault it could have caused if a bigger one would have used to create enough tightness, because I think there's about ~ 2-3 inches between mirror and roof.
so that's why I want to see a photo of the setup.
The rearview mirror in my GL feels too easy to move but it stays put so far.
I would use a camouflaged sponge......
Old 05-08-2022, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 GL450
I would use a camouflaged sponge......
Here’s picture of my sponge in place above mirror. Was 97 degrees today and kept my mirror in place as I drove. Normally it would hang down and never get it to stay. I’m satisfied especially not spending bunch of money on repairs.

The following 2 users liked this post by MBenz driver:
StradaRedlands (08-28-2022), TX07GL450 (05-09-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 12:41 AM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by MBenz driver
Here’s picture of my sponge in place above mirror. Was 97 degrees today and kept my mirror in place as I drove. Normally it would hang down and never get it to stay. I’m satisfied especially not spending bunch of money on repairs.

Thanks! I was able to tighten this in the past by using a big zip tie around the piece gripping the ball. I worked for a while, but is as bad as ever now. I'm going to take it apart and give it another look, but if I can't get it to tighten, this is a good work around!