GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 Bluetec Fuel Filter Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
GL350 Bluetec Fuel Filter Service B

Just brought my wife's 2011 in for the Service B at 20K miles. I can't believe the dealer wants close to $1,000 for this, and it really makes me not want to buy another Mercedes - I feel like they are taking advantage of me.

The Service B is roughly $400 which is basically an oil change. They say they also check this, check that, but I'm sure it's about 15 minutes worth of work.

I told them not to refill the AdBlue because I did it myself. I learned the hard way last time when they tried to charge me $300. When I argued and told them that an hour's worth of labor at $129/hr for a 15 minute job plus $32 a gallon for AdBlue fluid which cost $12 at Advanced Auto for a 2.5 gallon bottle - they cut me a break and only charged me for half an hour. Well I topped it off myself this weekend - about 10 minutes worth of work - saved $250.

So on top of the $400 service, they hit me with an additional $400 to replace the fuel filter. The part is supposedly $150 and there's almost 2 hours of labor involved. This sounds suspicious, and after figuring out what a scam the AdBlue service is, I feel like I am getting taken advantage of. Is it really necessary to replace a fuel filter every 20K miles? I've never had to do this on any other car I've owned, but I understand the diesel may be different. Still, on another web site, I found some DIY instructions which stated it's about a one hour job.

And to top things off, the dealer wanted to charge me $165 to flush the brake fluid. Now why would this be necessary? I've owned the vehicle for about one year, and it's got 20K miles. I've never done this on any other vehicle at 20K miles (maybe 50K miles I would understand). I told him to skip the brake fluid flush since it's not listed on the Mercedes maintenance schedule under required service. I'm thinking this could just be another way for the dealer to take me for some unnecessary work.

So the bottom line is I'm not feeling too good about the cost of maintenance on the GL350. My Audis are about half the cost to service at the dealer, and my previous BMW services were free for the first couple years. Just something to keep in mind when it's time to buy another car.

Last edited by FastMoneyPlaya; 09-04-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya
Just brought my wife's 2011 in for the Service B at 20K miles. I can't believe the dealer wants close to $1,000 for this, and it really makes me not want to buy another Mercedes - I feel like they are taking advantage of me.

The Service B is roughly $400 which is basically an oil change. They say they also check this, check that, but I'm sure it's about 15 minutes worth of work.

I told them not to refill the AdBlue because I did it myself. I learned the hard way last time when they tried to charge me $300. When I argued and told them that an hour's worth of labor at $129/hr for a 15 minute job plus $32 a gallon for AdBlue fluid which cost $12 at Advanced Auto for a 2.5 gallon bottle - they cut me a break and only charged me for half an hour. Well I topped it off myself this weekend - about 10 minutes worth of work - saved $250.

So on top of the $400 service, they hit me with an additional $400 to replace the fuel filter. The part is supposedly $150 and there's almost 2 hours of labor involved. This sounds suspicious, and after figuring out what a scam the AdBlue service is, I feel like I am getting taken advantage of. Is it really necessary to replace a fuel filter every 20K miles? I've never had to do this on any other car I've owned, but I understand the diesel may be different. Still, on another web site, I found some DIY instructions which stated it's about a one hour job.

And to top things off, the dealer wanted to charge me $165 to flush the brake fluid. Now why would this be necessary? I've owned the vehicle for about one year, and it's got 20K miles. I've never done this on any other vehicle at 20K miles (maybe 50K miles I would understand). I told him to skip the brake fluid flush since it's not listed on the Mercedes maintenance schedule under required service. I'm thinking this could just be another way for the dealer to take me for some unnecessary work.

So the bottom line is I'm not feeling too good about the cost of maintenance on the GL350. My Audis are about half the cost to service at the dealer, and my previous BMW services were free for the first couple years. Just something to keep in mind when it's time to buy another car.
oil change is 9 quarts of 5w40 at about $9/ quart; 1 hour of labor

oil filter is $20 (or so)

so $300 for the oil change

one hour for the car to be read ($120 at your dealer- it is $145 on the east coast). this is not done all the time, but is required for service b and is mandatory if issues are suspected or there are complaints. includes also visual inspection.

so $420 for the oil change

fuel filter is $100 or so for the (new style) part. 2 hours of labor sounds about right. the job requires strut brace to come off and maneuver the intake boxes out of the way. the fuel filter sits in the front of the engine "v". it is a very annoying job. not hard, just annoying and you need to make sure the intake boxes are mated properly at reassembly.

so easy $340 ($100 filter and 2 hours of labor). i actually think the book calls for 3.5 hours. dont quote me.

so... $740 sounds about right give or take.

brake fluid flush is every 50k miles or 5 years.

you will also have a tranny flush at 40k miles - this one is best done at the dealer as it requires special equipment to warm up the fluid as it is pumped / old one pumped out. it should run you around $350.

Last edited by alx; 09-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
Originally Posted by alx
oil change is 9 quarts of 5w40 at about $9/ quart; 1 hour of labor

oil filter is $20 (or so)

so $300 for the oil change

one hour for the car to be read ($120 at your dealer- it is $145 on the east coast). this is not done all the time, but is required for service b and is mandatory if issues are suspected or there are complaints. includes also visual inspection.

so $420 for the oil change

fuel filter is $100 or so for the (new style) part. 2 hours of labor sounds about right. the job requires strut brace to come off and maneuver the intake boxes out of the way. the fuel filter sits in the front of the engine "v". it is a very annoying job. not hard, just annoying and you need to make sure the intake boxes are mated properly at reassembly.

so easy $340 ($100 filter and 2 hours of labor). i actually think the book calls for 3.5 hours. dont quote me.

so... $740 sounds about right give or take.

brake fluid flush is every 50k miles or 5 years.

you will also have a tranny flush at 40k miles - this one is best done at the dealer as it requires special equipment to warm up the fluid as it is pumped / old one pumped out. it should run you around $350.
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like they were trying to hose me with the brake fluid flush since it doesn't seem to be required until 50K.

And I do live on the East Coast - my dealer charges $129/hr for labor.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I think your dealership is expensive. My last fuel filter change totaled $213. $52 for the fuel filter and about $4.40 for two loom ties, whatever those are. Labor was $157. I had this done a year ago. Unless there has been a run on fuel filters, your dealership is ripping you off.

I have the Mercedes Service Sheet for the X164 and it does recommend a brake fluid replacement at 20,000 miles or 2 years.

By the way, my oil change cost $206. I'm in the Midwest but I think that is offset by the fact that I get a MB loaner included anytime I have work done.

Last edited by 43221B; 09-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
Originally Posted by 43221B
I think your dealership is expensive. My last fuel filter change totaled $213. $52 for the fuel filter and about $4.40 for two loom ties, whatever those are. Labor was $157. I had this done a year ago. Unless there has been a run on fuel filters, your dealership is ripping you off.

I have the Mercedes Service Sheet for the X164 and it does recommend a brake fluid replacement at 20,000 miles or 2 years.
I have read in a couple of spots that the newer GL350's have a different fuel filter that is more expensive. The part is $150 on the newer ones. I noticed that your's is a 2009, so that might explain the difference. But I agree, my dealer is probably ripping me off!

I also think that if the diesel fuel filters need replacing, Mercedes should have designed them to be in an easier location to replace so they wouldn't require the alleged two hours of labor to replace them. Could you imagine if they put the oil filter in some obscure location requiring a two hour oil change? Nobody would buy one!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya
I have read in a couple of spots that the newer GL350's have a different fuel filter that is more expensive. The part is $150 on the newer ones.
Ok, I think I read that the newer filters have a water sensor on them. That would explain the price.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 43221B
Ok, I think I read that the newer filters have a water sensor on them. That would explain the price.
Correct. Newer fuel filters are more expensive. About x2 to be precise.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I just had my 20,000 mile service on my 2011 GL350 and they replaced the fuel filter for free, because of a recall. Thought it was strange, because I had it replaced for free at 10,000 miles, because of a recall.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Actually Mercedes Benz has always reccomended a brake fluid flush every two years regardless of milage. In about 2010/2011 they changed the interval to two years or 20k.

Diesel fuel filters have always been a shorter interval as compared to gas. Diesel is a heavier fuel and is more susceptible to contamination. Also diesel fuel system components have much tighter tolerances so clean fuel is critical.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Didn't you get the recall for the fuel filter leak? I think all diesel Mercedes were recalled. For sure I know the GL and Ml were, years 09-12 I think. Mine is 11 and I got the filter changed for free.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 AM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
Originally Posted by hubert
Didn't you get the recall for the fuel filter leak? I think all diesel Mercedes were recalled. For sure I know the GL and Ml were, years 09-12 I think. Mine is 11 and I got the filter changed for free.

Mine is a 2011 which I purchased in Sept 2011... I never got a recall notice. So I guess I get to pay the full $400 for the filter change:

From Autoblog:
Nearly 7,000 Mercedes-Benz vehicles are being recalled for potentially leaky fuel filters. Included under the recall are diesel (read: Bluetec) versions of the 2011 E-Class, GL-Class, M-Class, and R-Class, as well as the 2012 S-Class.

The 2011 model year vehicles being recalled were built between January 2010 and April 2011. NHTSA says fuel filters on affected vehicles "may develop leaks from the area around the heating component."

Mercedes-Benz USA will be contacting owners for free inspection and replacement, beginning in November

Last edited by FastMoneyPlaya; 09-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
How can I find out when my car was built ? I bought it on March 31, 2011 and my dealer said they got it straight from the factory, because the car was delivered 7 days later, but nobody contacted me about this recall.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aeggroup
How can I find out when my car was built ? I bought it on March 31, 2011 and my dealer said they got it straight from the factory, because the car was delivered 7 days later, but nobody contacted me about this recall.

Thanks.
call the dealer, provide your vin and ask if you are included in the recall.

if you have replaced already your fuel filter as part of scheduled service, you are not "eligible" for new filter as recall applies only to factory installed fuel filters.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by alx
call the dealer, provide your vin and ask if you are included in the recall.

if you have replaced already your fuel filter as part of scheduled service, you are not "eligible" for new filter as recall applies only to factory installed fuel filters.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM

'99 CLK430 '02 SL600 Silver Arrow '14 GL350 Bluetec '80 Rolls-Royce Corniche Coupe
Fuel Filter Replacement - Reality

This applies to a '09 GL320 Blutec - later models may be different.

Fuel filter cost is $54 from an MB dealer (part # 642-092-01-01).

As a DIY project, it takes about 45 minutes, and requires having an E10 TORX socket and some TORX bits on-hand (you can get by w/ a 9mm 12 pt box wrench on the E10 TORX fasteners if they are not too tight). You do NOT have to remove the strut brace.

Remove the engine cover. Next, the plenum which attached to the two air boxes and the turbo needs to come off - hose clamps at either end, one on the turbo inlet, and two electrical connectors. Next there are a couple electrical connectors to the left of the filter held in place w/ two E10 TORX screw - remove those for access. Unplug the connector to the water sensor on the filter (all model year GL filters have the sensor).

Remove the three E10 TORX bolts securing the filter bracket. The one on the right side may be partially blocked by the pipe going to the turbo - you can probably tease it out w/ the 9mm box wrench. Remove the clamps holding on the two rubber hoses on the filter (MB uses one time use, crimp-on clamps - they can be replaced w/ small jubilee style clamps - these are low pressure lines). Pull off the fuel lines.

Remove the filter. Unbolt the bracket (allen socket bolt) and transfer to the new filter. Remove the water sensor on the old filter by removing two TORX screws and twisting to clear the mounting lugs - pull up to remove. Replace the o-rings and bleeding tap on the sensor w/ new ones supplied w/ the filter (lubricate w/ diesel). Mount the sensor on the new filter, reversing the removal procedure.

Install the new filter reversing the above steps. Reconnect all connectors and install the plenum talking care to assure that none of the rubber boots/seals are kinked.

Put a small rubber tube on the bleeder fitting and turn CCW about one full turn. Put free end of tube in container. Start the engine. Once diesel is coming out of the tube w/ air bubble, turn the bleed screw CW to close and remove tube.

Check for leaks. Replace engine cover. Your done!

A dealer that charges more than 1 hour labor for this procedure is robbing you!

By the way, after 30K miles there was not a drop of water in my old filter!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got a price of 60.00 for the 2010 filter. Do you need to bleed out the air or is it really not needed?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM

'99 CLK430 '02 SL600 Silver Arrow '14 GL350 Bluetec '80 Rolls-Royce Corniche Coupe
Good Idea to Bleed

Best to bleed - easiest thing in the whole process to do. If you don't bleed the air, there's a good chance the engine will stop - bleeding things at the injectors will be much more difficult.

You might be able to get away w/ filling the filter w/ diesel before you complete the install - but there will still be some air in it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
I also recently did the 20,000 mile service myself on our 2011 GL. I think the total cost was around $400 in parts and fluids.

Change oil and filter
Change diesel fuel filter
Empty and re-fill DEF tank.
Flush brake lines
Change cabin air filters
Rotate tires (front to back only)
Reset service indicator

Our local dealer had a promotion going for $90 for the oil service on any Mercedes - which was cheaper than I could buy the oil and filter for myself for the GL. They also did their usual complete multi-point inspection as part of that service - so a great deal.

All of these service items ranged from trivially easy to pretty easy if you are decently handy. Here in the SF bay area quotes for getting all of the services done at the dealer were in the neighborhood of $1,200.

For my 2011 GL - my build date was after the recall (bummer) so I wasn't eligible for a free new diesel filter. The parts department needed my VIN to to figure out which of the three different GL diesel fuel filters that they had in inventory was the correct one for my truck - and they also suggested I bring the old filter in to make doubly sure it matched the new one. Sounds like they have had some experience here...

Swapping the fuel filter also requires new fuel line clips, and a new cap and cotter pin for the bleeder valve on the fuel filter (the bleeder cap on the old filter was not the same size) - the dealer did not know they needed to sell these parts along with the new fuel filter and the diesel fuel filter replacement instructions from Mercedes that I have don't mention the bleeder cap or the bleeding procedure.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mschirmer
You do NOT have to remove the strut brace
you are a better man than me. i cant possibly envision how you remove the airbox plenum without removing the strut brace
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
I don't recall removing the strut brace either. There are plenty of good directions and walk throughs with pictures available...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Just put my filter on my 2010 mine has the sensor mounted in the middle with a pipe on each side, there are two other styles also. Mine did not come with new o rings for then sensor so I just pushed it into the new filter, now there is a small leak around the sensor so now Im trying to order the new orings for the sensor. Did anyone else have the same filter that came with o rings?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Hey Jimmyp, you need to buy new o-rings and clamps, they don't come with the new filter (crappy I know).
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
all filters and oil change was ~ $200 to do it on my driveway...
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM

I had to order them will put them on wed to stop the leak
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
Your driving a very expensive and complicated vehicle, it is what the dealer charges these days for servicing. If you feel ripped off go with an independant shop but choose wisely as they may not have experience with these trucks, and you need a good knowledgable person working on it to realize the needs and know the issues to look for.
I service mine at home, I spend way more time then the dealer would ever take changing fluids and showing it love, but thats the way business is done around here now quick and profitable. That nice coffee at the dealer does actually cost more then one accross the street at the coffee house! I do bring it in for alignments and other issues that I cannot address and make sure the work is done correctly and thoroughly.
Now here is food for thought, imagine owning a $15k smart car and paying these same prices for servicing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL350 Bluetec Fuel Filter Service B