GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 320cdi '07 battery drain 8 amps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 cdi
GL 320cdi '07 battery drain 8 amps

I had my battery drain dead flat last night. No issues with this before and yes I have read all the tail gate latch threads long ago. Had the battery charged today and rigged it temporarily so I can hook my Fluke amp meter in circuit. I've pulled every fuse and every relay from all locations and still it drains at 8 amps. I'm stumped - Any ideas???
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
There should be more fuses.

Also, It is possible that your battery has shorted and is discharging throughg its internal (higher) resistance. The lifespan is 3-5 years. If this is your original - it might be time for a new one.

Last edited by alx; 09-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM

GL 320 cdi
Originally Posted by alx
There should be more fuses.

Also, It is possible that your battery has shorted and is discharging throughg its internal (higher) resistance. The lifespan is 3-5 years. If this is your original - it might be time for a new one.
That was my original hope that it was the new battery I installed 6 months ago had internally shorted but as I said in my original post the battery is drawing 8 amps with my Fluke in circuit.

I have been persevering in my search for the drain and have isolated it to whatever the bottom wire in the battery compartment busbar supplies. It is labelled F82 but there is no fuse #82 on the schedule.

It is the top wire in the image and this is in the bottom of the battery compartment. The image is upside down. Anyone know what this wire supplies???

I assume these wires supply the other fuse boxes but as I said in my original post, I pulled all fuses and relays and still draws 8 amps. Possibly I missed it but I'd love to know where this wire goes.
Attached Thumbnails GL 320cdi '07 battery drain 8 amps-bus.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM

GL 320 cdi
Update

So after disconnecting this battery compartment bus connection F82 and applying power and then reconnecting the wire the system no longer is drawing 8 amps - in fact there is no draw at all.

Unfortunately without knowing what this wire supplies I have no confidence in driving the car as the battery could potentially drain at any time. Anyone know what this wire feeds???