GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Getting Started with service for a 2008 GL320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes GL320
Getting Started with service for a 2008 GL320

I've had Lexus for 11 years now and love them for low (and simple) maintenance. Only thing I never did was timing belt change. Dependability has been phenomenal, but no special thrill driving. So I purchased a mint 2008 GL320 and love it. However, some of the internet comments have been unsettling regarding all kinds of issues. So I'm going to start impeccable maintanence on this (already changed the oil and found 3 stripped bolts attaching the bottom protective engine covers..thanks Mercedes service). So I see several on here talking about MB WIS(?). Is it onsite maintenance help, or hardcover manuals, or DVD's..? What do you all recommend for comprehensive (and comprehendable) DIY (i.e. alldata.com, etc.)? Any links to any recommendations would be especially great. Also, once a service is completed, are there ways to reset without purchasing an OBD scanner? Obviously I'm a Mercedes amatuer here just getting started and will savor any and all help. Specificity appreciated. Thanks.
Jim
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
You'll be able to do things like oil and filter changes, fuel filter, cabin air filter, etc without too much trouble (I do my oil changes from above - Pella extractor - LOTS easier). You can also reset the display to tell you when the next maintainence is due without a computer. BUT, almost anything beyond that will require a Star computer in order to diagnose what is going on AND to reset any indicator alarms. If you can't find an local independent independent with that capability (for your '08 specifically, not just Mercedes in general) you are pretty much at the mercy of a dealer: $$$.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM

2008 Mercedes GL320
Ok. So the scanners you can buy over the counter (Autozone, etc.) won't mimic the Star computer you're talking about?
Sounds like you're into Mercedes..so what's you're experience..less trouble than average with superioir longevity (assuming proper maintenance)? Do all the component electronics hold up better than average? I have 365,000 miles on my Lexus sedan, and never a major issue, including electronics. I'm a little paranoid that the Germans are a money pit in disguise..but the drive is superior. Hope the peripherals are commensurate.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM

volvo
You'll be able to do things like oil and filter changes, fuel filter, cabin air filter, etc without too much trouble
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by jtm0947
Ok. so what's you're experience..less trouble than average with superioir longevity (assuming proper maintenance)? Do all the component electronics hold up better than average? I have 365,000 miles on my Lexus sedan, and never a major issue, including electronics. I'm a little paranoid that the Germans are a money pit in disguise..but the drive is superior. Hope the peripherals are commensurate.
I've driven a Mercedes for 10 years now. I had an ML500 and then a GL450. I've personally found them to be reasonably reliable. I put on a lot of miles, about 20-25K per year. I've never had any engine, transmission, drivetrain problems. I bought extended warranties and I've found they are about a break even proposition for me. Repairs are expensive, so it doesn't take much to recoup the investment.

Regarding electronics, my Comand unit did fail on my GL. It required a replacement to the tune of about $2700, covered under my extended warranty.

My opinion is that Mercedes GL is you don't really have to worry about the drivetrain. Outside of the drivetrian they do have a lot of sophistication which brings a lot more things to fail. I would guess it will have more issues than your Lexus.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM

2008 Mercedes GL320
Thanks. As I looked at every SUV, the headturner on paper was the potential mpg for the GL320. As you know (with a 2013 coming) nothing in the 5500+ curb weight comes close to 25-30 hwy. However as I kept finding some horrible stories from Mercedes owners, I nearly put it up for sale. I think you're right, especially with electronics, Lexus (and Japanese generally) seem to do better with component electronics reliability. But in the end, I think what it boils down to is the mpg savings are probably going to get used up in electronic repairs..so it's a wash. If fuel continues to rise, then maybe the mpg contribution will outpace the repair costs. What is clear is that the GL SUV is the best drive out there.

Anyway, still waiting for anyone's recommendation on best DIY manuals and/or DVD's.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM

I haven't driven anything but diesel since 1980 and, with the exception of the '84 diesel Camry I had until the timing belt broke, the Japanese do NOT choose to market a diesel in the US. Thus I really cannot say much about the relative reliability and quality of their cars. Sorry but I can't make a comparison.
OBD readers WILL read the US required OBD parameters BUT, you won't be able to do anything about them. Clearing them will simply mean they reset. One of the best values around for technical stuff is https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/home.jsp it is subscription based. You do get accurate info though. There are some expensive computer systems available the allow access to the electronics but I haven't 'sprung' for one yet.
Example of electronic issues - our satellite radio (that my wife likes) just now refuses to find the sat signal. Rather than pay the dealer over $100 just to diagnose the problem and then who knows how much replace the antenna (if that is the problem) I plan on going to Car Toys and find out just what they offer in the way of Sat radios and if there are any I can plug one in to the aux input of the audio system. Even if I have to replace the entire head unit at least I'll have a decent nav system rather than the clutzy COMAND unit that can't even be updated properly!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM

2008 Mercedes GL320
What do you mean COMMAND unit can't be updated properly? Is there more than occasionally getting the latest DVD from Mercedes?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 PM

By updated I mean 'to be made useful'. ie make it tell me to exit a freeway (at 60mph) a few hundred feet BEFORE the exit, NOT just after the exit! I also mean the ability (when in Stockton, California for example) to look up a store such as Walmart and be told the nearest one is in St Louis! I also mean to make it user friendly to load an address without having to start of backward ie, state, city, street, then number. Ever load a request for a fast food place while going down the highway and have it tell you the nearest one is 10 mi BEHIND your direction of travel?
I have NEVER had mine give my correct location when I get home (it gives the wrong side of the street and is at least a half mile off). There is no way for me to tell it "this is home" and what the address is, when I'm parked in the driveway.
And, if the battery is drained - for any reason - ALL previously remembered destinations are gone. If you didn't write down all the particulars, you have to start from scratch again.
Interested in the altitude when traveling over mountain passes? Forget using the altimeter on the GPS. It is a minimum of 200 ft off, usually 600-800ft in error. I checked with the dealer and they did a lot of work before they determined that there is no standard for accuracy of the altimeter. No programming is available to fix the issue.
Yes, the nav disks are available but each update costs more that three Garmin, Magellan or Tom-Tom GPS units.
Like I said, if something, anything, goes wrong, I won't hesitate to replace the entire head unit with whatever is the best deal available.

Last edited by Fourdiesel; 09-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 PM

2008 Mercedes GL320
Well.....crap. I'm driving GL320 from Chicago to Aspen in November. I'll remember your post and see if I have similar problems.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Bring a Garmin/Magellan/TomTom and stick it on the windshield! You'll quickly see why.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 AM

gl320cdi
Angry albert

I have a GL320CDI my sat radio stops and searches for signals for about 30 seconds, then the radio works for another 15 to 20 minutes, and stops and search again, and so on.
Mercedes refused to exchange my radio during warranty, blaming Sirius/XM for the problem. Since they merge, the signals are mixed up ??.

However, I got a Sirius/XM radio at RADIO SHACK and tune my radio to un-used station and now works without interruptions, amazing a $59.00 dollar radio works better than a $2300,00 Mercedes radio.
Now, my car is out of warranty, and I wanted to purchase a SERVICE MANUAL, come to find out, now, the manuals are a subscription from Mercedes and cost up to $3100.00 dollars per year to subscribe.
NOt only we paid $91,000.00 for the car new, now Mercedes is trying to squeeze more from their customers.
SHAME ON MERCEDES BENZ.
I have had Mercedes for the past 40 years, never had a problem till now.
Thinking of doing some research on other brands and get rid of out two Mercedes.
However, the car have been running mechanically good so far.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by atimpau
I have a GL320CDI my sat radio stops and searches for signals for about 30 seconds, then the radio works for another 15 to 20 minutes, and stops and search again, and so on.
Mercedes refused to exchange my radio during warranty, blaming Sirius/XM for the problem. Since they merge, the signals are mixed up ??.

However, I got a Sirius/XM radio at RADIO SHACK and tune my radio to un-used station and now works without interruptions, amazing a $59.00 dollar radio works better than a $2300,00 Mercedes radio.
Now, my car is out of warranty, and I wanted to purchase a SERVICE MANUAL, come to find out, now, the manuals are a subscription from Mercedes and cost up to $3100.00 dollars per year to subscribe.
NOt only we paid $91,000.00 for the car new, now Mercedes is trying to squeeze more from their customers.
SHAME ON MERCEDES BENZ.
I have had Mercedes for the past 40 years, never had a problem till now.
Thinking of doing some research on other brands and get rid of out two Mercedes.
However, the car have been running mechanically good so far.
Typical SA nonsense. The signals do not "mix up". Sounds like a defective radio to me. I would go back and point out that you had this same problem whilst under warranty and would like the radio switched out. If nothing else, also try another dealer if you can.