GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2009 GL550 - airmatic issue??

Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
2009 GL550 - airmatic issue??

I noticed tonight on my 09 Gl550 that the front passenger side seemed to be much lower than normal. I can barely lay my hand flat on top of the tire because there is no clearance from the wheel well. The other 3 tires all have a good two inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Tire pressure is normal on the sagging front right side so it's not due to that.

I thought I recalled hearing about issues with the GL Airmatic suspension but thought that was mostly just with the first year models.

Tried to google search the issue and couldn't find anything, but I will certainly be taking it into the dealer asap as my factory warranty ends in March of next year.

Reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone knows if this is a common issue with the 09 GL and if I have reason to be concerned given I only have 5 months left on my warranty. I don't want this to resurface next year if it gets fixed. I only have 33k miles and the 07 owners with issues are often around 100k+ in mileage. Will this be covered under warranty or is it "maintenance"?

Any insight is greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 2009 GL550 - airmatic issue??-image.jpg  

Last edited by Franman; 11-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Happened to my 09 too, twice !! I couldn't reproduce it, sometime I park the car, and it lowers couple hours later. Most of the time, I could park it for days, and it look completely normal.

Finally captured the problem on iphone, and showed to dealer. Both front shocks were replaced under warranty. Problem haven't happened since.

Originally Posted by Franman
I noticed tonight on my 09 Gl550 that the front passenger side seemed to be much lower than normal. I can barely lay my hand flat on top of the tire because there is no clearance from the wheel well. The other 3 tires all have a good two inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Tire pressure is normal on the sagging front right side so it's not due to that.

I thought I recalled hearing about issues with the GL Airmatic suspension but thought that was mostly just with the first year models.

Tried to google search the issue and couldn't find anything, but I will certainly be taking it into the dealer asap as my factory warranty ends in March of next year.

Reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone knows if this is a common issue with the 09 GL and if I have reason to be concerned given I only have 5 months left on my warranty. I don't want this to resurface next year if it gets fixed. I only have 33k miles and the 07 owners with issues are often around 100k+ in mileage. Will this be covered under warranty or is it "maintenance"?

Any insight is greatly appreciated
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Originally Posted by zam2000
Happened to my 09 too, twice !! I couldn't reproduce it, sometime I park the car, and it lowers couple hours later. Most of the time, I could park it for days, and it look completely normal.

Finally captured the problem on iphone, and showed to dealer. Both front shocks were replaced under warranty. Problem haven't happened since.

this was due to leaky air shock. replace them if you are in warranty. otherwise try arnotts OEM replacement.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...18_pid146.html

i see this link after my stealer charged me for $2400 for one side includes part+ labor.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM

2009 GL550
Thanks. Just reading this after picking vehicle back up from dealer. Of course they couldn't find anything wrong or reproduce the issue (although it happened again to me yesterday afternoon). How can I make it act up at the dealer? Said they did leak test as well as checked shocks. Grrr
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by Franman
Thanks. Just reading this after picking vehicle back up from dealer. Of course they couldn't find anything wrong or reproduce the issue (although it happened again to me yesterday afternoon). How can I make it act up at the dealer? Said they did leak test as well as checked shocks. Grrr
Happened to me too. So when it happened again, I captured the whole thing in picture, and video (all the way to zoom into the VIN)

Once I showed up at the dealer, of course it didn't happen. But the video & pix did the work
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

2009 GL550
Originally Posted by zam2000
Happened to me too. So when it happened again, I captured the whole thing in picture, and video (all the way to zoom into the VIN)

Once I showed up at the dealer, of course it didn't happen. But the video & pix did the work
I'm trying to do the same but of course it only happens when Im not watching. When you captured it on video, does it slowly leak over the course of a set amount of time? Or is it a quick fall?

I've been trying to watch and the one time it acted up, I checked on it about 5 minutes after I parked and it was normal, then went out about 25 minutes later and it was in the low position.