GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL Tounge Weight > 600lbs?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
GL Tounge Weight > 600lbs?

All, I have read many posts about the GL hitch and weak tounge weight and wondered if anyone ever found an "official" solution (besides not exceeding it). Previously I was under the 600lb limit with my 3500lb trailer, but we are about to buy a 5400lb (dry) trailer which has a 750lb tounge weight.

So, I have two questions about my 09 GL550:
  • First, has anyone found an alternative hitch that supports greater than 600lbs (the newer GL hitches appear more substantial)?
  • Second, I use an Equalizer weight distributing hitch now and am planning to do so with the new trailer, would this solve the "problem"?
Unfortunately, I got blind sided by this as the larger trailers we were looking at actually had tounge weights at 600lbs. I would greatly appreciate any "updates" to the towing saga.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Yeah Mercedes likes to stick with the 8% rule on the tongue.
The best way is to have your hitch reenforced. I welded a rectangular metal plate between the drop down plates that boxes the receiver and up against the tubular bumper. Easy access to weld this area without having to disassemble the hitch or bumper cover. See image. The square black lines drawn is where I welded the plate. The photo is from someone else, and shows triangular wings welded as a brace. That was a good idea on their part, and you may consider that as you are heavier.
There are other posts where the weld work was even more substantial, but the tongue weight on my camper was only 640 loaded as weighed with a Sherline scale, so I stopped there. So far after 700 miles of towing, everything is still solid.

As for the Equal-i-zer, I also use one. When I hooked it up and weighed the vehicle with and without the trailer on a CAT scale, my tongue weight calculated out at just under 500. So even though I didn't move anything to physically reduce the 640, I noticed the distribution bars did put more weight on the front wheels and the camper axles, and less on the rear wheels.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails GL Tounge Weight > 600lbs?-hitch-weld-plate.jpg  

Last edited by dgiturbo; 11-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
I'm totally with DGI Turbo up until the last statement about reducing tongue weight via weight distribution. That implies that if you use a WD hitch then you are putting less stress on your hitch receiver. It's actually the opposite.

What the WD hitches do is to apply torque to your hitch mount. There is still the same 650 pound static weight caused by gravity pushing down on your hitch ball - but now you also have a twisting force from the torsion bars or springs on your WD hitch that is trying to lift up the back of your truck and push down the front of your truck using the hitch ball as a fulcrum.

When you measure all this on the scale, you absolutely have a more even distribution of weight across the wheels of your trailer and truck. But it does put even more stress on your hitch receiver, not less - you have both downward weight from your hitch ball and rotational torque from your WD hitch.

The combination caused some earlier model GL hitch receivers to shear off - they were not welded all the way around the tubular bumper mount. Later model receivers are more solidly built, and if you find the towing with heavy loads thread on the forum you'll also see that most folks towing big stuff with the GL are welding in reinforcements just to be safe, even with later model GLs. Cost is a couple hundred dollars to have a professional shop weld in basic triangular gussets.

For the original poster - you should be able to look up under your bumper and see if your hitch receiver goes all the way around the tubular bumper mount and is also welded all the way around. If it doesn't I'd be very very concerned about towing anything over 600 pounds without reinforcement. There are no aftermarket hitch reciever options available for this truck - your only option is a good trailer or truck knowledgable welding shop and reinforcement.

Other than a hitch receiver that should support more like 1000 pounds of tongue weight and explicitly support WD, the GL is fantastic tow vehicle, (except for being generally incompatible with LED trailer lights) - I'm towing a 28 foot Airstream - have many thousands of miles without any issues.

Last edited by ddruker; 11-28-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by ddruker
I'm totally with DGI Turbo up until the last statement about reducing tongue weight via weight distribution. That implies that if you use a WD hitch then you are putting less stress on your hitch receiver. It's actually the opposite.

What the WD hitches do is to apply torque to your hitch mount. There is still the same 650 pound static weight caused by gravity pushing down on your hitch ball - but now you also have a twisting force from the torsion bars or springs on your WD hitch that is trying to lift up the back of your truck and push down the front of your truck using the hitch ball as a fulcrum.

When you measure all this on the scale, you absolutely have a more even distribution of weight across the wheels of your trailer and truck. But it does put even more stress on your hitch receiver, not less - you have both downward weight from your hitch ball and rotational torque from your WD hitch....
...Other than a hitch receiver that should support more like 1000 pounds of tongue weight and explicitly support WD, the GL is fantastic tow vehicle, (except for being generally incompatible with LED trailer lights) - I'm towing a 28 foot Airstream - have many thousands of miles without any issues.
I'm with you on this. I didn't mean to imply it reduces weight, as since I never physically removed any weight, the weight must still be there. I just wanted to point out that the weights on the wheels do change with a WD hitch as I measured on a scale, and how much they changed so others could have an example for planning.
I could probably take the time and use a leverage formula to get the actual forces applied, but as the system works, and works well so far, I would rather use that time to go camping.
And yes, a higher rating on the hitch and the ability to recognize LED trailer lighting would be nice from the great engineers at Mercedes. Also a built in brake controller with the tow package.
After all, they built a solid chassis, beefed up all the cooling systems (water oil trans), gave the vehicle unreal pulling power and sway control, and put in a solid round bumper bar. Why did they stop short of reinforcing the receiver, adding a brake controller and LED light compatibility (even though their vehicle has LEDs)