Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GL Class (X164)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


GL Class (X164) 2007-Present: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Drives: 2008 GL320 CDI
How to Lock my car from outside while engine running

Hi Guys,
I have tried to research this for a while but I am having no luck with this so hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I live in Fort McMurray, Canada where -45 C is common temperature during winter. What I am trying to do is turn the car on and then lock it from outside so I can heat the car, or go grocery shopping and return back to a warm car (leaving car on with no one inside is not frowned upon here and everybody does it). When i return back to the car, I need to then unlock it as well. I have tried a few things to accomplish this but with no positive results. What I can do is turn the car on and then lock it from inside using lock button inside on the door but when I try to open the door from outside it does not work, even inserting the metal key in the door will not open the car (I left the window open while doing so to test..phew!!). Does anybody have a way to work around it? Here are specs for my vehicle:

-2008 GL320 CDI with Keyless GO go option.

Easy solution is to get a remote start installed but apparently it is not recommended on Mercedes and it will void the warranty of the vehicle. I called a few Mercedes dealers here in Alberta and no one is willing or "authorized" to install a remote starter system they strongly advise me no to get it installed. Does anybody have any solution to this?

Thanks.

Mohit
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

mohitp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW corner of CONUS
Posts: 584
Drives: 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
I haven't tried this myself (because I don't live in Ft McMurray) but I presume you've tried to leave the car running while you get out and lock the doors by either pressing on the IR window on the door handle OR taking the key out of your pocket and pressing the 'lock' button. I'm guessing that doesn't work?
Have you tried the little mechanical key hidden in the fob and using that to lock the door in the old fashioned (pre 2000) way?
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
raymond g-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 4,831
Drives: 99 E320
not glamorous, but you would exit through the back door
__________________
raymond-
4734'N 12218'W
raymond g- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
Wow was about to post the exact same question.

I've tried as well and can't figure it out. I found if i hit the inside lock button (on the door) it locks everything but the drivers door on mine. I've tried locking from the outside (with the GL running) but can't.

I too need to do this in this cold weather.

BTW. Aerocar parts (edm) will install a starter on MB diesel (I think they do the installs for webber, and the dealers will install starters if you buy the vehicles from them).

Check this link. http://www.compustar.com/mercedesstarter/
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,425
Never tried it, but if you have mbrace you can try the remote lock/ unlock from your phone mbrace app.
alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx View Post
Never tried it, but if you have mbrace you can try the remote lock/ unlock from your phone mbrace app.
No mbrace available on my 12 in Canada

Actually I think they may have dropped mbrace in Canada all together (cannot even d/l from the CA App Store)
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
justthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,624
Drives: '12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML63, '12 CLS63 (Sold), '10 C63 (Sold), '10 VelociRaptor, '09 GL550
On my old '09 GL, there was no way to lock the doors while the car was running. Good luck, though.
__________________
'13 SL63 / '14 E63S Wagon / '12 ML63 / '14 Raptor / '14 458



MBOGC 80

justthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Drives: 2008 GL320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel View Post
I haven't tried this myself (because I don't live in Ft McMurray) but I presume you've tried to leave the car running while you get out and lock the doors by either pressing on the IR window on the door handle OR taking the key out of your pocket and pressing the 'lock' button. I'm guessing that doesn't work?
Have you tried the little mechanical key hidden in the fob and using that to lock the door in the old fashioned (pre 2000) way?
Yes, I have tried to unlock (or lock) from outside using the hidden metal key the old fashion way but it does not work. Infact, if I lock the car from inside, the key wont even open the door. I am SOL I guess.
mohitp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
It CAN be done and it's the same way you can leave your key in the car while surfing, swimming or doing any activity that you don't want your $$$ key in your pocket.

I have only tried this with Keyless Go, but it should work the same with the key in the ignition.

1. Remove the little valet key from the key fob.

2. Open both the Driver's door and the passenger door on the driver's side.

3. Lock the doors using the door lock button on the driver's door panel (this will lock all but the driver's door).

4. Close the driver's door.

5. Reach in through the passenger door and manually lock the driver's door by pushing down on the lock Pin.

6. (make sure you have the valet key in your hand!!!) Close the passenger door.

Now all doors are locked and your key is still in the car (running or not, this is how to store your key in the car while exercising etc.)

To open, insert the valet key into the slot in the drivers door, turn 1/4 to the right, and pull the handle (Fast) 2-3 times (this will unlock and then open the door).

Hope this is helpful!
__________________

Last edited by cmarshack; 01-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
So I tried this yesterday and it did not work on mine. I tried both with leaving fob in and out of the car and just using the key. Nothing. Tried turning the key, pulling the handle 2-5 times, leaving it pulled out for 5 seconds and a bunch of other combinations. I just cannot get it to unlock...
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
You insert the little valet key in the lock, turn it 1/4 turn to the right (leave it in there) and then pull FAST two or three times. You have to pull fast, and the lock will pop up inside.

It sounds weird but it works.
__________________
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern BC, Canada
Posts: 54
Drives: 2006 Purple Mini cooper S conv, RRS 2008 gone, 2011 GL350 Palladium Silver!!!
Don't believe in it who has the time
Compustar does make a remote starter, only runs for 15min but it works. There are a few other weird quirky things about it, but when it's -30 you don't car. I have one in my 2011 GL350 and live in Northern BC. Got it put in from the guys down in Kelowna at Andre's Electronics. It's been in 2 yrs and no issues. But not cheap, 1500.00
honda90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda90 View Post
Compustar does make a remote starter, only runs for 15min but it works. There are a few other weird quirky things about it, but when it's -30 you don't car. I have one in my 2011 GL350 and live in Northern BC. Got it put in from the guys down in Kelowna at Andre's Electronics. It's been in 2 yrs and no issues. But not cheap, 1500.00
Yea about 1500 is what I'm getting quoted here too. Do you remember which model of compustar you got? Does it wait for the glow plug when it's really cold?
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern BC, Canada
Posts: 54
Drives: 2006 Purple Mini cooper S conv, RRS 2008 gone, 2011 GL350 Palladium Silver!!!
Don't believe in it who has the time
What is cool about the GL is that with the keyless go it's almost like there are no glow plugs. Starting is almost exactly like a gas engine,yet when you take the plug out and use the key you know you have glow plugs. I have always plugged my truck in when it hits about -20 or so, cold wx starting is hard on the engine regardless of a remote starter or not.

The only time that I have had to actually go out and physically start my truck was pushing -45 this winter. I used the key 2x to get the plugs going before I actually turned it on.

The starter system is 2 fold. They put in the starter off the mercedes key fob and you can just stay with that and use the panic button to start. This is good if you've lost your other starter fob....I also chose the 2way with 2 fobs from compustar. My only wish is that it would run longer than the 15 min, but the fob shows me the countdown so I can set it up to run again. I've talked to the compustar people and they say that it has to do with the mercedes part they have to use in order for the system to work. It's better than nothing.

My Sister just got one put in her 2012 350, up north these things are mandatory!!

On the downside, the mercedes safety thing about the vehicle locking etc. you have to restart with the remote once you get somewhere in order for it to be locked and running.

I used to have a RR Sport supercharged....I got tired of hitting the gas station once a week. Now I can't remember what day I've filled up it's been so long
honda90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Drives: 2008 GL320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
It CAN be done and it's the same way you can leave your key in the car while surfing, swimming or doing any activity that you don't want your $$$ key in your pocket.

I have only tried this with Keyless Go, but it should work the same with the key in the ignition.

1. Remove the little valet key from the key fob.

2. Open both the Driver's door and the passenger door on the driver's side.

3. Lock the doors using the door lock button on the driver's door panel (this will lock all but the driver's door).

4. Close the driver's door.

5. Reach in through the passenger door and manually lock the driver's door by pushing down on the lock Pin.

6. (make sure you have the valet key in your hand!!!) Close the passenger door.

Now all doors are locked and your key is still in the car (running or not, this is how to store your key in the car while exercising etc.)

To open, insert the valet key into the slot in the drivers door, turn 1/4 to the right, and pull the handle (Fast) 2-3 times (this will unlock and then open the door).

Hope this is helpful!
OMG...Thanks a lot. That totally worked. I modified the process a little bit. Instead of using the back door, I just open the window now. This is what I do:
1. Turn car on using keyless go button.
2. Leave the key case (without the metal key) in the car.
3. Open the window (driver side)
4. Get out and make sure I have the metal key on me . Then close door.
5. Press the lock button on the inside of driver door while standing outside (pretty easy to reach)
6. Close the driver door window by pulling on the power window button. As it is automatic, the window will start closing.
7. Pull my hand out before the window crushed my hand (have enough time to do so)
8. Check that the door is locked while car running.

When car is heated, I just do what you said to open the door and it works like a charm. Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
MOhit
mohitp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Nice!

And you just made my method even easier!!!
__________________
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
Still can't get it to work....

Ok.... It must be me.....

It is freezing here (literally and figuratively ) so I spent more time trying to get this to work. It just won't work on my 12 or it's me.

I spent about 15 mins trying all manner of combinations and variations on all the above instructions and nothing.....

Can some one post a video?? . Please please
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuni View Post
Ok.... It must be me.....

It is freezing here (literally and figuratively ) so I spent more time trying to get this to work. It just won't work on my 12 or it's me.

I spent about 15 mins trying all manner of combinations and variations on all the above instructions and nothing.....

Can some one post a video?? . Please please
What is not working? Locking the car or opening the door with the little metal key?

I do not have the car here so I can't post a vid. But if you follow the instructions above it will work.
__________________
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
I can lock the GL just fine however it just will not unlock with the valet metal key.
I tried the key both ways (reversing it, either turing it left or right depending which way it was inserted). I leave the window open to then unlock, but the car is fully locked when i try this.I've tried pulling fast, solw, holding the handle hitting the button etc. It just stays locked. I am wondering if they changed something on the '12?

I also took out the push start button and started the GL with the key fob inserted (instead of using the push start button) to see if that would make a difference nothing....
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuni View Post
I can lock the GL just fine however it just will not unlock with the valet metal key.
I tried the key both ways (reversing it, either turing it left or right depending which way it was inserted). I leave the window open to then unlock, but the car is fully locked when i try this.I've tried pulling fast, solw, holding the handle hitting the button etc. It just stays locked. I am wondering if they changed something on the '12?

I also took out the push start button and started the GL with the key fob inserted (instead of using the push start button) to see if that would make a difference nothing....
With the key turned, pull the handle 3-4 times, quickly in a row, and the lock will open. It is very weird but that is how it works.
__________________
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
yes, absolutely tried that, exactly. Hence my request for video.....
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 159
Drives: GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuni View Post
yes, absolutely tried that, exactly. Hence my request for video.....
Like I mentioned, I do not have the car right now, so can't do a vid. If you have a moment maybe you can shoot a quick vid and I can try to see what you might be doing wrong.

Otherwise dealer may have to replace a lock mechanism?
__________________
cmarshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
lotuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 61
Drives: 2012 GL350 Avantguard
Go it!

Ok got it!!

Problem existed between the ground and the key.

I tried again today (even shot a video to post). When I inserted the key and pulled 2, 3, 4 times nothing would happen but then I noticed the the lock pin slightly juggled up and down. It is a mechanical unlock and not an electric one.

Here is what you need to do...

Insert the mechanical key and turn 1/4 turn.
Pull on the handle out to the normal position to open then tug and pull a bit more and the lock will pop up (I was missing the extra pull to pop up the mechanical unlock).
Then bring the handle back to the natural state and then pull to open the door.

So 1 pull extra hard to unlock. Release and regular pull to open.
lotuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
car, cdi, doors, engine, gl320, lock, locked, locking, mercedes, midland, ml320, outside, remote, runing, running, start, vw, working



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details