Has anyone tried the THULE K-SUMMIT XXL K77 snow chains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Question Has anyone tried the THULE K-SUMMIT XXL K77 snow chains

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has some experience with using the THULE K-SUMMIT XXL K77 snow chains with your GL450.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM

2008 GL450
I guess not, so the question now is do I really need them in my 2008 GL450 if I am driving to north Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks taking Interstate 80 with definitely snow and maybe icy conditions?

Is it worth spending the $599.95 @ Thule.com or just get some cheap cable chains @ Pep Boys or Autozone just in case that I would probably not even use them?

Rud.com also makes some nice chains but unfortunately not for the size of my tires which are 275/55R19

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by guliano; 01-07-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Want to add something else
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Originally Posted by guliano
I guess not, so the question now is do I really need them in my 2008 GL450 if I am driving to north Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks taking Interstate 80 with definitely snow and maybe icy conditions?

Is it worth spending the $599.95 @ Thule.com or just get some cheap cable chains @ Pep Boys or Autozone just in case that I would probably not even use them?

Rud.com also makes some nice chains but unfortunately not for the size of my tires which are 275/55R19

Thanks in advance.
I really depends on the tires and condition of those tires that you have on the GL right now. The GL is a very capable all wheel drive vehicle but if your tires are bald and/or not M/S rated the snow performance will be less than ideal.

I was just in Tahoe over the holidays and we got DUMPED on. I always have two sets of wheels and tires specifically for trips to the mountains. The tires in my signature are Terra Grapplers and did very well in the snow. That said no tire will do as well as chains in icy conditions. And all terrain tires like mine do not do as well as a dedicated snow tire with a rubber compound specifically designed to bite on winter roads.

I-80 from Sacramento to Tahoe does a very good job of snow removal and chain control. If you have an all wheel drive with m/s tires you do not need to carry chains. My brother lives in Sac and heads to Tahoe almost weekly in his Ford Expedition with plain Jane Michelin m/s tires. He has yet to have an issue.

It's a tough call but I would say if your tires are Mud/Snow (there will be a M/S on the sidewall) and in good shape you will likely be fine without chains, but i would probably buy a set and carry them just to be safe.

If you go up several times a year I would look into a cheap set of winter wheels. You can get wheels and tires for under $1000 if you shop around. Which is not that much more than the $600 you are about to drop on chains. And keep in mind that every mile you drive on the winter tires is one less mile you are driving on your "summer" tires...rubber is rubber, so that cost is diminished over time.

Either way, drive safe!!!

Last edited by cmarshack; 01-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM

2008 GL450
Thanks for your detailed feedback, I really apprecite that.

I have the Michelin Latitude 275/55R19 111h in good shape and at the time I bought them, 8 months ago I was told they were M+S, so now I am in doubt because I just googled them and they show as summer tires, so I am going right now and check in the tires and see. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM

2008 GL450
I checked the tires and there are not marks for M+S (M/S) rating. I called Costco where I bought them and they claim it is a M+S rated tire. This is what Michellin site says about it and I couldn't find anywhere about M+S rating:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...t/tire-details

I guess I got f..ed by Costco.

Should I call my American Express?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
That tire will be worthless and actually hinder performance when it gets below freezing. The rubber compound is not designed to be used on any road in below freezing conditions, it will actually harden and be prone to sliding even on dry roads in extreme conditions.

it is essentially the Pilot Sport in an SUV version. I got stuck in two inches of slushy snow in an Audi A6 with Pilot Sports.

I would get some chains.

As far as going after Costco they are pretty good about returns. If they are still telling you it's an all season tire you may want to show them the Michelin website that states the following regarding their summer tires:

"Summer: These tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimized dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are designed for year round usage but should not be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal."-The Latitude Sport is a Summer tire and is NOT an m+s.

The problem is that they do not have any other tires in that size so you may have to try to get credit back if you can convince them they sold you on a tire that is not safe for the mountains. All depends on how long you have had them and how lucky you get when you go and talk to them.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM

2008 GL450
Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to respond such detailed information. I have the tires for 8 months and I like the way they look after this time, they are definitely going to last longer than the 2 continental sets I had in the past that lasted only 18 months each set. I will see what's available out there for a reasonable price before attempting the return at Costco, I am sure they will give me a full refund since I asked for M+S when purchased them, of course I don't have a document stating that but Costco are always good with their customers.