GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

NAVIKS VIM module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
NAVIKS VIM module

I just finished a long road trip with the family up to Lake Tahoe from Southern California and I can say that the NAVIKS Video in Motion Module is a must have with two little ones in the back that can't control their own dvd screens. It is much easier (and safer in my mind) to control the DVD menus when you can see them. It also allowed my wife to watch the movies up front which made the drive a little nicer for her.

I am posting this because I was torn between whether or not I needed the $400 MidCity Engineering module or just the $200 NAVIKS available on eBay. I went ahead and bought the NAVIKS and could not be more pleased with my purchase.

(disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with NAVIKS)

I simply watched their video online and it took me all of 15 minutes to install.

I really like the reputation of Mid City but even when I called them and asked if I needed their "programmer" feature since my GL already has rear camera and AUX Audio/Video input, they said there is not need.

So I am posting this to save my fellow MBWorld fans a few bucks.

the NAVIKS module on eBay works as described!

Ridden hard and put away wet:

Attached Thumbnails NAVIKS VIM module-8344567194_0baef345fa_h.jpg   NAVIKS VIM module-8344553760_35824ad9f9_h.jpg  

Last edited by cmarshack; 01-03-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: add fotos
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mysecondbenz
I was asking my self why should I pay $400 for ******* interface that's made in USA and probably much better than $200 dollar interface, but greed took over my mind and I've purchased naviks for $200, in the end I still ended up with ******* but now this setup instead of original $200-300 cost me $800

I purchased first box from naviks paid $100 to get it installed at local stereo shop, VIM didn't work out of the box , they sent me replacement worked for few days same story, had to pay stereo shop another $100 to install replacement interface. Paid $100 to get it removed ordered ******* for $400 paid $100 to get it installed.

$200 naviks box, but i got that money refunded
$ 100 first naviks install
$ 100 replacement naviks install
$ 100 replacement naviks removal few days later
$ 400 ******* interface
$ 100 ******* installation

P.S. I have used ******* on my road trip 0 issues, i have since purchased one for my brother X5 he has used it for a week and no complaints

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I did quite a bit of searching and did not hear a single story like yours, otherwise I might have bit the bullet and bought a more expensive one built in the USA. But like I said, mine works perfectly and I installed it myself.

On that note, I would get an installer that does not rip you off. It takes all of 15 minutes (10 if you know what you are doing) to install one of these. If you are getting charged $100 every time you go in for the same job you are being overcharged.

I am glad to hear that your ******* box is working well.

I will certainly report back if anything ever happens to my NAVIKS box.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I too just made a long trip and the Naviks box helped out quite a bit with the little ones in the back. I've had mine for over a year and it has worked flawlessly. I installed it myself in 10 minutes and it was very easy.

Very happy with the product as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
I purchased a Naviks box from Ebay as well. I followed the instructions to install it and it worked fine for just over a year, then it failed. Not only did it fail, it was playing tricks on my stock system (sometimes my radio would not turn on, my rearview camera would not work, etc). I removed the Naviks Module and everything worked like normal. I looked into purchasing another VIM Module but I am hesitant because of my bad experience.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jcbutta
I purchased a Naviks box from Ebay as well. I followed the instructions to install it and it worked fine for just over a year, then it failed. Not only did it fail, it was playing tricks on my stock system (sometimes my radio would not turn on, my rearview camera would not work, etc). I removed the Naviks Module and everything worked like normal. I looked into purchasing another VIM Module but I am hesitant because of my bad experience.
When you removed it did you check to see if the DIN switches got moved? I am just curious as they are not recessed so it could be possible for them to switch to a different setting during the course of the year.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mysecondbenz
problem is all those units are made in china , when you buy made in USA product like *******, you are almost guaranteed that you will not have any issues with a product
Look, it's obvious that you like to promote certain VIM products. And I, like you, tend to buy products made in the US.

But your statement is simply wrong. Are YOU "guaranteeing" that forum members will not have "any issues" with the *******? They do offer a 1 year warranty which is nice but that does not guarantee that you will not have a failure down the road.

By the way, what ever happened to www.naviplus.tv that you were promoting back in 2005? Who is supporting those units today?

Do you own a GL? If so what year/model? It is helpful to put such information as Year/Model even your location on the planet in your profile so that others can decide if you are really trying to help or simply a troll.

If you do own a GL and are really on here to offer useful info then I apologize and will look forward to more useful info that you may want to pass on in the future. If you do not own a GL then I ask that you refrain from offering "advise" here as your history of post does not lean in your favor.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Originally Posted by cmarshack
When you removed it did you check to see if the DIN switches got moved? I am just curious as they are not recessed so it could be possible for them to switch to a different setting during the course of the year.
Yes I did check. Switches were in the correct configuration. Thats the first thing that I thought as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcbutta
Yes I did check. Switches were in the correct configuration. Thats the first thing that I thought as well.
That's a bummer.

If you bought it from the folks on eBay they offer this:

"Warranty: Innovative 12 volt Products warrants its products against any defect in workmanship or materials under normal use and service, as long as the original buyer of product owns the vehicle the product was installed in. For each claim under this warranty product/s or part/s please contact us A new product or components will be shipped to you ASAP. Please request to receive RA#. Any packages send without return or exchange authorization number will not be accepted. RA# must be visible on the packaging box. "

I would try and contact them to see if the can get you another one.

Good luck
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cmarshack
That's a bummer.

If you bought it from the folks on eBay they offer this:

"Warranty: Innovative 12 volt Products warrants its products against any defect in workmanship or materials under normal use and service, as long as the original buyer of product owns the vehicle the product was installed in. For each claim under this warranty product/s or part/s please contact us A new product or components will be shipped to you ASAP. Please request to receive RA#. Any packages send without return or exchange authorization number will not be accepted. RA# must be visible on the packaging box. "

I would try and contact them to see if the can get you another one.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. Will do. Will update with results.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 PM

2004 CLK500 & 2006 BMX X3
Just installed mine and having some issues. The command center will power off on it's own and when I turn it back on by using the power button on command center the controls on the steering wheel no longer works to control the features. I will have to disconnect the module and reconnected it again. Anyone have this issue?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 AM

2004 CLK500 & 2006 BMX X3
Sent it back to Navik for them to take a look at. Their customer services seems to be good. Will post update with the finding when available