GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

air leak in suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2003 BMW 325i
air leak in suspension?

I noticed last night the car was lower than normal on the passenger rear After start up, I used the car's manual system to raise the car and it did on all four corners. I hit the button again to lower and it did on all four corners but the passenger rear was a tad lower than the drivers side rear.

This morning, passenger rear was back down again. I suspect an air leak and would like to replace it on my own.

I've got ~75K. Are these symptoms of an air leak in the suspension? I have no warnings on the computer dash. I guess the computer can see an air leak in the tires but not in the suspension bags right?

Pelican sells Bilstein and MBZ for $387- $410 where Arnott's website sells theirs for an unbelievable $165.75. Pelican sells the pair of Arnott brand but notes an average rating on Arnott Industries.

Does anyone have feedback on their Arnott bags? I'm content to buy OEM if warranted, but why overpay if another product can do the same thing?

While Arnott's website has a great set instructions, it does concern me that they have mulitple type-o's and miscode the GL calling it a W164 not an X164. I think they've mixed the ML and the GL code (I had a W163).
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320cdi
I replaced my fronts with Arnott and am very pleased. I have talked to many people and I hear no complaints at all about them. Even my indy shop uses them.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM

I replaced the two front air bags and one rear this past weekend on my 07 GL with Arnott's product. The job is time consuming, but not difficult if you have the proper tools. Luckily my Dad has a two post lift in his garage, and tools to fix tools, so that always makes the job easier.

Arnott's provides a lifetime warranty on their products, and claim to be redesigned better than the OEM ones.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the reassurrance. I have ordered the one for my rear passenger side and await their arrival today.

Interestingly enough they have not lowered down since the original date of post. Still fix it? I've alway prescribed to the 'if it aint broken don't fix it' mentality. But maybe this is preventative so the pump doesn't over heat and fail?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RCorney17
Thanks for the reassurrance. I have ordered the one for my rear passenger side and await their arrival today.

Interestingly enough they have not lowered down since the original date of post. Still fix it? I've alway prescribed to the 'if it aint broken don't fix it' mentality. But maybe this is preventative so the pump doesn't over heat and fail?
Mine was intermittent as well, but there's a reason why it's dropping. I figured Murphy would strike at the most inopportune time and fail completely leaving me or my wife and kids stranded somewhere, so I just went ahead and replaced them. Peace of mind and I also didn't want to risk burning out the compressor.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 AM

So I got the parts, disconnected the fuse, lifted the truck and got under there to find the original bag inflated completely. It was taught and I was hesitant to remove the air line while under pressure.

I guess I expected the bag to be deflated after removing the fuse and having this intermitant failure. Anyone else change their with the originals fully inflated?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM

Don't be hesitant, mine was completely inflated as well. Unscrew the airline slowly, it will deflate down quickly.

Originally Posted by RCorney17
So I got the parts, disconnected the fuse, lifted the truck and got under there to find the original bag inflated completely. It was taught and I was hesitant to remove the air line while under pressure.

I guess I expected the bag to be deflated after removing the fuse and having this intermitant failure. Anyone else change their with the originals fully inflated?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM

I was able to replace the one rear air bag last night. I will say the hardest part was getting the wheel/tire back on! The original came out in peices; the main bag with out the top and part of the top stayed on the plastic retaining clip which I had to pry off.

New one went on relatively smoothly. The compressor seemed to run for a long time, but all looked good. We'll see how long before the other rear goes out and I'm not looking forward to replacing the fronts since I read it's much more invlolved.