New (Used) GL450 Owner --Little Nervous

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
New (Used) GL450 Owner --Little Nervous

Hi All!
This past Friday, decided to drop my local GM dealership (where I have bought many cars over the last 10 year) because I saw that they had a 2010 GL450 on the lot.

I had been looking at GL's for the last year, thinking it would be nice to own one... so I figured I would drop by for a test drive.
I'm usually pretty good about not buying on the first date, but my emotions got the best of me and I ended up purchasing it (with trade) for $37,000USD. This vehicle has 56,000 miles on it and was out of warranty, however I was able to get the dealer to give me 12 month bumper to bumper warranty (with a $100 deductible).

After I got home on Friday night, I decided I needed to go to the store (in reality I just wanted to drive it again!) but when I took a left out of my neighborhood, I immediately encountered a problem I have never experienced. The power steering went out..but it only went out on the RIGHT side only. I could easily turn left but anything past mid-center right was extremely difficult to steer. I drove for a about a mile and was able to make a hard right turn onto a cross street. At that point there were two or three a hard click sounds as I turned right and all the sudden the power steering came back on.

I called the dealership in the morning and was told to bring it in Monday (tomorrow morning) and they would take care of it....
I have not experienced the issue again, over the last 2 days of owning this vehicle.

I am now also hearing a knocking noise (occasionally) coming from the back rear right (sounds like it around the wheel well).

Needless to say, I am a little nervous about my new purchase. I'm certain that I might have been better off doing a little more research. Regardless, I am in it to win it now.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the issues I am experiencing?
Also, can anyone offer any advice to a new GL owner like myself?

I appreciate any input, thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Do not the gm dealer touch your gl. I assume you called the selling dealer.

Never heard of your problem. It sounds interesting. You sure your ps went out turning left or just became harder to turn? There is a steering angle sensor that might be going bad.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by alx
Do not the gm dealer touch your gl. I assume you called the selling dealer.

Never heard of your problem. It sounds interesting. You sure your ps went out turning left or just became harder to turn? There is a steering angle sensor that might be going bad.
Thanks for the reply. The GM dealer is the selling dealer, this car was on their used car line.
Also, the left turn might have been a coincidence of timing, however the steering problem occurred immediately after the turn.
I'm going back to the dealership's service department first thing tomorrow morning.

Regardless of the outcome, I might just cut my losses, find a certified GL still under warranty and trade this one in and get a factory extended warranty.
Although I supposedly have a "12 month/12,000 mile" bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer (through a 3rd party), I still have a bad feeling after experiencing problems within 2 hours of driving it off the lot.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
My thought was not to let the gm dealer touch your truck. They do not have th diagnostic equipment or the knowledge to troubleshoot and repair effectively.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Drop $125 and have the local MB dealer do an inspection.
Then take the report back to the GM dealer to work from.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM

GL 450
The vehicle is already at the GM Service Center, I was told that they may have to send it over to the MB Service center if they can't fix it...
This should be interesting.
Next time there is an issue, I will pay the MB service department to run a report, thanks for the idea N_Jay.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm not sure what state you are from, but some states have a "buyer's remorse" clause.

If they send it over to the MB Service Center, I'd call them. They should be able to look up your vehicle and see what it's had for service/repair. I'd also have them give it a good once over. They will want to please you in the hope they get your business down the road.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM

GL 450
Unfortunately, my state does not have a buyers remorse or right of recession on used car sales...
Thanks