GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2007 gl450 starts and shuts right off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
2007 gl450 starts and shuts right off.

First off been reading and searching but can't find info, so here goes. Bought a 2007 gl450 from an insurance auction without a key, so the car gets here and I have to go on a huge mission to get it off the tow truck because of the electronic transmission. Well now it's stuck in the middle of the lot. I need to do body work and etc. so I bought a ecu and it came with the original key,and key switchfrom a salvage yard to swap out to hopefully get it to start or at least be able to put it in neutral to have it moved. I installed everything and it started and ran for about 5 seconds then shut off, I tried again and it only ran for about 2 seconds and shut off. Is there something else I need to change? As the salvage yard actually has the complete ( but crashed ) truck. It also will not let me put it in neutral. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You need to code the ecu to the truck. This is done at the dealer only.

You can't just swap security- sensitive parts and hope they are adopted by the truck without any authorization.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Gl450
Ok that's what I was planing on doing. I wasn't trying to drive right away, as the car is still in need of body repair. I just wanted to see if I could get it into neutral to have it towed. Sorry if I offended you ALX, I thought this was a informational forum where people tried to help other people, and not just reply with CHECK YOU OWNERS MANUAL! Or other condescending replies, but thank you for yours.

Last edited by Just in time; 02-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Which part of "you have to code ecu to truck and this is not a DIY" you find condescending and not factual?

Condescending answer would be "there is a reason why the iaa auction vehicles are dirt cheap" or "expensive vehicles at iaa are crap shoot and in your case it seems you got more than you bargained for".

If you want to drag the truck into the shop find four plastic trays put under wheels and drag that way. Until proper ecu Auth is received the tranny will not shift to neutral. There might be other ways I am not aware of To disengage the parking pawl.

Last edited by alx; 02-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Gl450
Originally Posted by alx
Which part of "you have to code ecu to truck and this is not a DIY" you find condescending and not factual?

Condescending answer would be "there is a reason why the iaa auction vehicles are dirt cheap" or "expensive vehicles at iaa are crap shoot and in your case it seems you got more than you bargained for".

If you want to drag the truck into the shop find four plastic trays put under wheels and drag that way. Until proper ecu Auth is received the tranny will not shift to neutral. There might be other ways I am not aware of To disengage the parking pawl.

The only thing I was looking for was to see if I could maybe get another part off the salvage yard to be able to move the car. Or a quick fix to maybe be able to push the car not just a no, take it to the stealership. And thank you for the idea of the plastic, ill try that
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Get 4 wheel dollies.
Either from harbor Freight or build then with wood and casters.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Gl450
I found my answer. I need to remove the intelligent servo module on the transmission and manually shift the shaft on the tranny to neutral.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
The automatic engine shut off sounds exactly like the immobilizer (at least that's what VW calls it) actuating as designed. The key used to start MUST electronically 'talk' to the immobilizer electronics. It is DESIGNED that way to prevent a thief from cutting a key and making the car run that way. The engine will start but if the key that was programmed for the car isn't present the immobilizer shuts the engine off after a few seconds. Same for the transmission - it won't unlock without the right key.
It takes some pretty fancy computer programming to make everything match. Dealers have the access, most of the rest of the world doesn't.