GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Wipers stopped working after steering column was replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Unhappy Wipers stopped working after steering column was replaced

Well this is a long story but I will try to make it simple. Bought a used GL450 (mistake #1), they steering cloumn had to be replaced due to the manual tilt being broken. This was done by a MB dealer so I would hope it was done right. Instead of a manual tilt they replaced it with the electronic tilt, fine with me but I dont think its right. It literally moves up and down @1 inch. Is this correct? Then a short time later maybe 2 months the wipers would work some times and then other times not work. Now they have stopped all together. This affects the front and back. So does anyone have a clue what this might be other than fuses and or motor? Motor doesnt make sence to me because the front and back died and the same time? And the fuses are fine. Could this be a switch issue? If so does anyone know of a DIY for the switch? I'd appreciate your feedback. I am really starting to think the GL450 is a lemon.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the steering column should have more than 1" range. way more than that.

the wiper switch on your car might be going bad, but it might be also another problem.

but, you should have this covered as all parts installed by the dealer carry one year warranty.

take it in and tell them to fix it. it should be free.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Thanks alx. I am going to look into this with the dealer.
Seth
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Actually, have the dealer or look at all the connections in the steering column. It should have more movement than the 1" and maybe is getting caught in something (like a harness). As such, it may have broken / unhooked or ripped the washer harness that connects in that column (my guess anyways).