GL450 parking sensor goes off on its own

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
GL450 parking sensor goes off on its own

Hi
Recently when I've been driving when I go to a stop my parking sensors get activated for no reason even if I'm coasting yet there is nothing there.
I took the car into the dealer and they said that a rat chewed the wires and lots of cars had this issue recently so my extended warranty would not cover the damage and I would have to go through my insurance which I did. They ordered a "wiring harness" but its been three weeks so I called back and they said its going to take another 10 weeks for the part but they are fighting it with mercedes Benz in Germany since they are making the part.
I got a loaner car but its just too small and I need my GL back for family trips. Any ideas on whether they're just lying? Is a "wiring harness" really that hard to find

I asked if there was any mercedes dealership in the US that had the part and they said no.

I find that odd since its not even a new car. (2007).
Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Wow, that's a long time to be without your GL.

You could ask them for the part number and do your own research (call for availability to other dealerships, etc.). Also, isn't there a button somewhere on the console to deactivate the parking sensor. There is on our 2010. I use this when going through a car wash (so the sensor doesn't activiate the warning tone everytime a brush comes nearby). Couldn't you use your GL and just deactivate the sensor each time you start the vehicle?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 AM

GL 450
They gave me a part # and I can only find one part in stock for $2500 from a website which doesn't look very safe. The dealer said they have to have the part custom made from Germany but the time frame they gave is different from other dealers. The part that failed is a wiring harness (its a very expensive part not the cheaper harness - I think its the entire wiring of the car?"

This car has been one of the worst mercedes built to date. Glad it happened before I was going to jump on the S550 - id rather get a Panamera S now since I've had better reliability with Porsche.

Are your guys's GL's this bad? Before this, it consumed a lot of oil and the suspension broke so the car dipped downwards and a variety of other smaller issues.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 PM

GL 450
Just a heads up, the car is still being repaired as of 7/6/13. They said the tech broke his foot so its going to take longer. The part took a very long time to get (over 2 months) so its clear Mercedes didn't keep the part in stock - I called multiple dealerships.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:11 PM

2014 S550 4Matic, 1992 Corvette LT1, 2008 Toyota Sequoia, 2019 Jeep Wrngler, 1997 Lincoln Town Car
Same thing with my '09 S550. A car in front of me kicked up a piece of rubber retread and hit one of the front right parking sensors. Now, the parking sensor goes off on its own at times when driving. I believe this is to the sensor being unseated and pushed back a bit into the bumper...sensor must be detecting the bumper. I amgoing to try to reseat the sensor before replacing it (no double reds on the dash sensor readout...so I'm guessing they are still good).

Joe