GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Keyless Go Stopped Working...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
Keyless Go Stopped Working...

I have a 2012 GL 350, P2 package that I bought used from an Infiniti dealership in Michigan. The original owner had a remote start system installed at the selling Mercedes Benz dealer. The system is called "Drone" and uses an interface made by Mid City Engineering.

Today I was under the dash to install my trailer brake controller and found this remote starter. I don't believe in remote starters and have no use for it. So I pulled it all out, which wasn't hard since it was "plug and play." I buttoned everything up and tried to start the vehicle, but got nothing. I pulled the key button and put the key physically in the slot and turned it and the vehicle fired right up.

My gut is telling me that when they installed this keyless entry that they must have coded the car differently, and now that I've removed it, it probably needs to be coded again. I'm not sure how I figure that out except perhaps by calling the dealership, but figured I would ask and see if anybody knows for sure.

I really like Keyless Go and would like to have it working again.

As an aside, the installation of the trailer brake controller was trivial, but an additional reason why I uninstalled the remote start was that they had used the trailer brake harness for power and ground to the remote start, and I do a lot of towing so needed that harness infinitely more than a remote starter.