GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Lowering links real world feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450, 2006 Subie Turbo Wagon, 1986 Lotus Esprit, 1961 190SL
Lowering links real world feedback

Even with all the old threads on lowering links, I didn't see the answer to this.

For those of you who installed links from adjustableairride.com, how did they affect the ride? Have you tried them at several height settings?

I've got stock 19" wheels with 55 aspect ratio tires and the characteristic smooth and floaty ride. Hoping to firm the ride just a bit, lower the gravity center for flatter cornering and less head bobbing, and close the wheel well gap with up to 2" drop. And not bottom out on speed bumps. The airmatic raised setting should still be adequate for the occasional fire road adventure.

Will I achieve this with the links? Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
im itchy ...to do the links ........let me know if u pull the trigger.....i wanna know all the flaws before i get links.....
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You don't need lowering links. Shim the front sensors wirh washers and bent the rear brackets up.

You will find that lowering the gl is unrewarding as ride will become stiffer but you will not gain more steering feel or overall body control.

Stock ride height is the perfect compromise IMO.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM

No help from the forum so I pulled the trigger on the inexpensive airrideloweringlinks thru ebay. They just arrived so will install this week and report back.

I plan to drop just 1.5" in front and 1" in the back, so the target is to retain most of the cushy ride but reduce the side-to-side sway a bit. There are a couple of spots on my regular local routes that pitch the GL around significantly even at very slow speeds. I get that this is a heavy beast and appreciate the super smooth ride, so for sure don't want to mess that up.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
The lowered truck will have more head toss.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
Much better option... https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/5123...dule-sale.html
Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM

I've been running the lowering links from ebay vendor airrideloweringlinks for two weeks covering commute, around town, and a 350 mile road trip. This is a GL450 with 19" rims and 55 series tires so probably has the cushiest setup to start with. No off road option.

Shipping was fast from the UK. The instructions are pretty good but I could not figure out how to stretch the provided tiny rubber boots to seal the ball/cup interface. Wouldn't be the first time I have overlooked the obvious but I haven't got around to asking for help from the vendor.

Here are my impressions:

Installation
  • A really straightforward install as you might imagine. Simple steel adjustable link that replaces the stock fixed-length plastic link
  • The most difficult step is removing the stock links, especially in front. The plastic is so flexible they can bend substantially before popping off and there is not a lot of room to maneuver and bend in front
  • Install time was about 30 minutes mostly consumed being careful not to break anything. Raised to high setting but did not jack up
  • The stock links are offset from top to bottom, especially in front. The new links are straight (see pic) so they mount on the upper and lower ***** at a significant angle. They seem to rotate just fine but not an optimal design
  • I applied some light waterproof assembly grease to insure they move easily on the metal ball and socket
  • Instructions stated the ride hight will change between approx .5" to .75" for each 5mm change in link length. The actual ride hight dropped 2" in front and 1.5" in rear with a 5mm adjustment. I have not tried different ride heights yet but plan to
  • Front camber increased more than I expected, and rear camber less
Ride and Handling
  • The drop is lower than the instructions anticipated but I left it there to experience the lowest drop setting I would use (see pic)
  • The ride is firmed up and the characteristic MBZ air suspension float is greatly reduced
  • The firmer suspension no longer "overshoots" if that makes sense. Much reduced side-to-side pitching and more of a controlled feeling
  • Head toss is nicely reduced - firmer with less sway
  • Cornering is noticeably flatter and IMO not bad for a tall overweight luxo SUV
  • Encourages more aggressive driving. Wow, traction control sure kicks in early. Now I know what that dash light is for :-)
  • Small road bumps are now felt where they were not before. I wouldn't classify it as harsh but you are definitely aware of them
  • Speed bumps no longer blow through the suspension travel as easily, but with less travel it feels like a harder hit when bottoming
Conclusions
  • A cheap mod that is easy to install, easy to adjust, and easy to remove
  • A great way to evaluate ride and handling changes if considering the more sophisticated electronic modules
  • It changes the character of the GL. If you like the smooth floaty ride then this is not for you especially at low ride height
  • Driving aggressively doesn't seem so out of place now. The ride is a bit closer to the Cayenne I test drove but not as controlled
  • For me (5'10") it puts the annoying running boards at a lower level so I step right over them rather than around them
  • At the lowest drop it would be too harsh IMO with low profile tires on 22" wheels. Obviously subjective
  • I would be hesitant to take off road with the reduced ride height at the raised setting

Will I keep the links on? In the short time we've owned the 450 I've associated it with super smooth ride and leisurely driving. I must be getting older as I can appreciate it. As I was diving into a corner clipping the apex with the traction light flashing I had to laugh - what am I doing? I've got other cars that handle very well for corner carving. This is a utility vehicle. But the links make it more fun if that is what you are after.

The GL is now the family kid/large dog/errand/road trip car and the wife's primary driver so she makes the call. It turns out she likes the former higher ride height but didn't object at all to the firmer ride. But she probably has a high tolerance given the wide variety of cars she has experienced. This weekend I plan to raise it up an inch and see how that affects the ride. Expecting it will be a linear change.

Hope this was helpful to those considering going with lowering links.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Pics referred to above
Attached Thumbnails Lowering links real world feedback-2013-09-24-13.19.35.jpg   Lowering links real world feedback-2013-09-24-07.41.51.jpg   Lowering links real world feedback-2013-09-21-18.26.08.jpg   Lowering links real world feedback-2013-09-21-17.56.07.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 AM

Update: Instead of adjusting the links to raise the height, I've been selecting the higher off-road mode around town. Since the link drop is a couple of inches, the off-road mode is about an inch higher than standard height.

The ride is just what I was seeking: firmer, more controlled, no float feel and with lots of suspension travel. Handles speed bumps perfectly and doesn't top out like the standard raised mode does. It's of course a hassle having to re select off-road mode regularly as it automatically drops at speed, but having it drop as you accelerate on down the freeway on ramp is kind of cool. The compressor is a wear item, yes? :-)

The wife refuses to be bothered selecting the off-road mode all the time so she is not enjoying the better ride.

I expect to end up with standard height in the rear and just a .5" to .75" drop in the front. It's really easy to tweak with the links.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM

GL450 / GSX-R / Acura RL / Acura TL Type-S
Hi PeterTownsend,
I'm thinking about doing this to my 07 GL450 as well. Any latest update on this?

Thanks,

KingBolom
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM

Lowering Links are still on but currently at the stock ride height settings front and rear. I adjusted back to stock to get a reminder of the baseline ride experience and the wife said she liked it best. I miss the firmer ride but it's her car so she decides.

It is super easy to adjust the height, but the Lotus needs a new clutch so moving on to that. Now that is a car with a firm but supple ride experience :-)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 PM

GL450 / GSX-R / Acura RL / Acura TL Type-S
Originally Posted by PeterTownsend
Lowering Links are still on but currently at the stock ride height settings front and rear. I adjusted back to stock to get a reminder of the baseline ride experience and the wife said she liked it best. I miss the firmer ride but it's her car so she decides.

It is super easy to adjust the height, but the Lotus needs a new clutch so moving on to that. Now that is a car with a firm but supple ride experience :-)
Cool - did you have to get an alignment done? if so, did you go through MB dealership? did they give you any issues regarding the "Lower Links" being installed on your ride?

Last edited by kingbolom; 03-19-2014 at 12:25 AM.