GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Warranty Confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X164 GL550, F10 535 6MT
Warranty Confusion

2010 CPO GL 35K miles - purchased the car CPO from a Mercedes dealer. It's still covered under new car warranty and then the CPO warranty when the new car warranty expires (as I understand it). Week one, an interior vent (AC/Heat in dash) fails - the fins collapse and the unit cannot be adjusted. Might have been this way when we bought the car and we missed it or it happened upon first use.

My wife brings the car back to the dealer and he says trim items are not covered under warranty. She makes a big stink about having the car for less than a week, expecting more and talks to the service manager. Eventually, they agree to cover the replacement, but not without a lot of effort.

From an ownership experience - our perspective, I know this is all wrong. But my question is - based on the specifics of the warranty as it is written, was the dealer justified in not covering this under warranty? I've read the warranty booklet again and it's not clearly articulated. This is my second Mercedes and I never had this issue with a 2006 CPO - they covered everything, no questions asked, but this is a different dealer. No issues with similar claims on other brands we've owned either.

So sad how hard they 'promote' the warranty when you purchase a CPO, but then turn around and try to deal with them on a relatively minor issue and it's a whole different attitude. And yes, we will be trying another dealer for future service.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Which part of "bumper to bumper warranty" is not clear to that particular dealer? Wear and maintenance items are the only that are not covered. Interior trim pieces are not wear items.

I have seen various interior pieces including vent shrouds replaced by various dealers no questions asked.

Look for another dealer.

Btw the center dash vent shrouds / diffusers are a common problem. If you mishandle them (ie not be careful) you will derail the internal mechanism and it will fail resulting in falling or collapsing fins.

Last edited by alx; 09-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.