GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Looking for advice on used GL

Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum
Looking for advice on used GL

Hello Mercedes Owners.

I'm anxiously excited about being a first time owner of a Mercedes. I've always loved German cars and have been a proud owner of 2 Audi's in my life time. I'm looking at purchasing a used GL450 for my family and had few questions for those experienced with this model. I've only considered this SUV because from what I've read, it's about the same cost to own something like a Escalade or, although not in the same class, other smaller third row seat vehicles like a Acura MDX or Toyota Highlander.

I'm looking at a 2007-2009 year range GL450 with anywhere from 55k to 70k miles. Looks like the average price in my area for this vehicle is about $26k.

What can I expect in yearly maintenance costs? Is this thing a pain to keep maintained? or is reliability and costs of up keep pretty normal?

Anything I should look at when checking out potential candidates to purchase? Specific questions I should be asking the dealer or seller? Vehicle specific issues I should look for that are commonly known?

What is the next most expensive interval of service on a GL under 70k miles? What's the next thing I need to do to the car after I've bought it?

Thanks in advanced and I'm sorry if these are novice questions... but I figured you guys would know best!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The most expensive repairs I've had was replacing the air struts. They will all go bad sooner or later. Budget around $400 each if you replace them yourself with the Arnott units or around $1200 if you have the dealer change the air struts.

I also recently replaced the rear hatch mechanism which was around $500 out the door at the dealership. Some also had the power steering rack fail but I just replaced a leaking fluid reservoir before it ran out of fluid so no damage to the rack.

Overall, I think the car is pretty reliable. Mine has around 145k on the odometer and it was much more reliable than my old CL600. The ABC suspension repairs on the S/SL/CL's make our GL's seem as reliable as a Toyota Camry.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum
Thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm really excited to check out this SUV and find one near me. Seems like a great deal for a used one.