Suuspension upgrade and lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Suuspension upgrade and lowering

Howdy Folks,

Relatively new to this forum (I've visited and searched a few times but never posted until now).

I have a 2008 GL450 and was looking to enhance the suspension. It was my wife's MB and now it's mine for the next couple of years. I enjoy the ride but am looking for something to make it firmer and give it a more aggressive stance. I'll be upgrading the rims and tires but would like to possibly change out the shocks and struts (assuming it is possible with the air suspension).

I've research and I know there are modules for lowering but they are pricey and not something I am really interested because once I set up the height, I don't intend to raise or lower after that so the modules are more than I need. I heard there are links as well and ideal for me - any suggestion where I can get the links?

I'd love to have everyone's thoughts.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:45 PM

2008 GL450, 2006 Subie Turbo Wagon, 1986 Lotus Esprit, 1961 190SL
Hi Hoaesq, welcome to the forum. I had the same questions as you did and installed links two weeks ago and driven quite a bit. Planning to recap my experience by Thursday in another thread. Stay tuned.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
No need for lowering module or links. Shim the front height sensors with washers (you will see how once you take a look) and bent the rear brackets (again- once get there you will see how).

But... You will not like the results dynamics- wise. The ride will be firmer, but bouncier with more head toss and your front shocks might start to clunk a bit.

I did not like it. It is uncomfortable and out of character for this land barge. The stock ride is perfect IMO. You want a more compliant feel? Get a cayenne..

Last edited by alx; 10-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM

2008 GL450
I don't like the idea of adding shims or bending anything. I'll play for the links and if I'm not happy, I'll switch back to the OEMs; however, your idea would be the most cost effective method.

As for your situation, did you mean the shocks were "bottoming out"? If so, is it possible to replace the current OEM shocks/struts with a set of heavy duty shocks/struts? When I lowered my X5 with links, I upgraded to a set of HD Bilsteins on all for corners and never had an issue with the shocks bottoming out.

Also, I'm not looking to slam the GL, just looking for a lowered aggressive stance and better handling, i.e., a firmer ride.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are no aftermarket shocks. Oem or remanufactured oem by Arnott are your only choice.

I think the stock height on the front is chosen so it is in the sweet spot for the front shocks. Any lower and they are out of their "comfort zone" so to speak. Some will do fine, others will clunk despite being far from bottoming out. So... Your mileage will vary.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM

2005 E55 AMG / 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by Hoaesq
Howdy Folks,

Relatively new to this forum (I've visited and searched a few times but never posted until now).

I have a 2008 GL450 and was looking to enhance the suspension. It was my wife's MB and now it's mine for the next couple of years. I enjoy the ride but am looking for something to make it firmer and give it a more aggressive stance. I'll be upgrading the rims and tires but would like to possibly change out the shocks and struts (assuming it is possible with the air suspension).

I've research and I know there are modules for lowering but they are pricey and not something I am really interested because once I set up the height, I don't intend to raise or lower after that so the modules are more than I need. I heard there are links as well and ideal for me - any suggestion where I can get the links?

I'd love to have everyone's thoughts.
Let me know if I'm wrong anybody, but you don't need any lowering links or modules. The STAR tool can lower it for you. Either get a nice relationship with a service adviser or get someone who has the STAR tool. 9 times out of 10, the stealership won't do it for you unless your really cool with them. I could have lowered my E55 via STAR, I just never got around to it...

Old 10-04-2013, 06:58 PM

2008 GL450
STAR tool? Is that a hardware/software?

Any body know of a vendor where I can purchase the lowering links?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM

2005 E55 AMG / 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by Hoaesq
STAR tool? Is that a hardware/software?

Any body know of a vendor where I can purchase the lowering links?

Thanks

STAR is basically what the technicians at the dealership use to diagnose anything wrong with your car. You can also make adjustments to just about every part of the car with it, including the ride height. I'm certain you can do it on cars but I don't know about SUV's with AIRMATIC. I don't see why not though. I mean I really don't understand why people would get lowering links or modules unless they didn't have access to a STAR computer?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lowering via star requires star setup plus knowledge. Also most vehicles will not just lower with star. There is some trickery involved as star more often than not will not accept the new ride height values right off the bat.