GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear facing car seats behind DVD player..Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Rear facing car seats behind DVD player..Help!

I just picked up my 2011 GL450 yesterday, the one we test drove and fit in our car seat and booster seats did not have the DVD players. Here is our problem, we have 4 children, 1 yr old is in rear facing car seat, 5 yr old is in a booster, 3 yr old isn't quite ready for a booster and my 9 yr old doesn't need one. The rear facing seat cannot go behind the driver or passenger seat because it hits the DVD player, and I need to have the 2nd row passenger seat accessible to get to the 3rd row. What rear facing car seat can fit in the middle of the 2nd row and what seat can fit next to it on the drivers side 2nd row.
I had no idea that the rear facing car seat would not fit with the DVD player!!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Mercedes placement of the RSE screens is HORRIBLE! Just wait until your kids whack their heads on one.

The only thing less thought out by MB than the placement of the screens is the access to the third row! Flip and tilt...REALLY!?!?. Your best bet is to put the rear facing kiddo on the passenger side and limit the front passenger's foot room. 3 year old car seat behind the driver and the other two in the back. They will have to climb over the seat to get in but this is really the only option. Poorly designed family vehicle considering it's a family vehicle!

We also have an Audi Q7 and it amazes me how much better the car is laid out for the family with car seats and boosters.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
My only complaint about the GL stems from these same issues. I've "solved" the problem of hitting the screen by moving the passenger front seat more forward than I would prefer, but it's OK if my wife is sitting there. My big beef is that there isn't a set of LATCH hooks in the center seat, where you are most likely to use them. But if you do put a seat there, then you run into the same issue with accessing the rear seats. I only have two kids, so third row access isn't a big deal very often, but still an annoyance to be sure.

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Mercedes placement of the RSE screens is HORRIBLE! Just wait until your kids whack their heads on one.

The only thing less thought out by MB than the placement of the screens is the access to the third row! Flip and tilt...REALLY!?!?. Your best bet is to put the rear facing kiddo on the passenger side and limit the front passenger's foot room. 3 year old car seat behind the driver and the other two in the back. They will have to climb over the seat to get in but this is really the only option. Poorly designed family vehicle considering it's a family vehicle!

We also have an Audi Q7 and it amazes me how much better the car is laid out for the family with car seats and boosters.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Originally Posted by sak335
My only complaint about the GL stems from these same issues. I've "solved" the problem of hitting the screen by moving the passenger front seat more forward than I would prefer, but it's OK if my wife is sitting there. My big beef is that there isn't a set of LATCH hooks in the center seat, where you are most likely to use them. But if you do put a seat there, then you run into the same issue with accessing the rear seats. I only have two kids, so third row access isn't a big deal very often, but still an annoyance to be sure.

I have three kids and have the infant seat in the rear passenger side, my five year old in a booster behind the driver and my 7 year old in one side of the rear. I bought a step that goes in the hitch (see below) and my son simply climbs in the rear hatch. Does not work if you need both third row seats.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09 GL450
If your kid is 1, I would just the flip car sit around. That was the age when I did it for both of my kids. I do have "big" kids though

Originally Posted by cchanice5
I just picked up my 2011 GL450 yesterday, the one we test drove and fit in our car seat and booster seats did not have the DVD players. Here is our problem, we have 4 children, 1 yr old is in rear facing car seat, 5 yr old is in a booster, 3 yr old isn't quite ready for a booster and my 9 yr old doesn't need one. The rear facing seat cannot go behind the driver or passenger seat because it hits the DVD player, and I need to have the 2nd row passenger seat accessible to get to the 3rd row. What rear facing car seat can fit in the middle of the 2nd row and what seat can fit next to it on the drivers side 2nd row.
I had no idea that the rear facing car seat would not fit with the DVD player!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 PM

2008 GL 450
I second this thread. I had no idea it was so poorly designed. I have a rear-facing car seat on the passenger side. I moved the 2nd row passenger side seat to the first level back (not the extreme last level back, if that makes sense) then put the car seat in. Also, you cannot have the handle on the car seat way back since it will hit the DVD screen. It works for now until we finally grow into a front facing car seat.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM
dR6

2009 GL550
I ended up just removing the screen altogether. When my son is old enough to sit forward facing, I'll just turn him around and remount the screen. It does leave some ugly wiring exposed though.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
is this the dealer installed dvd or the factory? I have the factory and its no issue. I also turned both of my kids around when they turned 1 also, made for much more enjoyable rides. they are now both in peg perego 5-70 they were in peg 30-30
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM

'09 GL320 and a small fleet of motorcycles
We're running a Cybex Aton 2 in the reverse position. We do have to scoot the seat up a bit, but it works. My wife is comfortable in the passenger seat. I am comfortable there for short trips of less than two hours. Most of the time I am driving anyway, so it is not a concern.

The GL makes it nearly impossible to center mount the car seat. I'm hoping they fix that in the newer models, however, you might find me in an Audi if they don't.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by cmarshack
I have three kids and have the infant seat in the rear passenger side, my five year old in a booster behind the driver and my 7 year old in one side of the rear. I bought a step that goes in the hitch (see below) and my son simply climbs in the rear hatch. Does not work if you need both third row seats.
This is a GREAT idea. I am picking up a 2009 GL550 to replace my S55 due to too many kids (11, 9 1/2, 3) , and had been prepared for middle row gymnastics. This rear step will be a great help except in rare cases where the cargo area is crammed full.

Thanks!