GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ESP fault - cure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
ESP fault - cure?

Got my 'new' used car inspected by independent yesterday. Only fault that reoccurs is ESP. It mentions N51 module (which also controls the airmatic). This explains my "malfunction" icon with down arrow.

The Indy will do a new compressor, new relay and a software upgrade for a $1000. Seems fair. BUT...but, what if that doesn't address the issue with the N51 module which shows a "low voltage" fault code (part of the ESP fault). My understanding is that the software does impact/affect the N51 module. So maybe the $1000 might solve the problem. Maybe not.

For those who don't know, there is a service campaign to replace the suspension compressor and relay which - the indy confirmed - affects my car and was never done.

I'm going to my local non-user friendly dealer tonight or tomorrow (where I know next to no one) and I am going to offer to pay their hourly labor rate for the compressor install and software upgrade if they can get the cost of the parts covered pursuant to the service campaign (obviously I'm out of warranty).

1) Has anyone had an ESP fault that was successfully repaired? And 2) what do you think of my pitch to the dealer (they can still double bill Mercedes NA the warranty labor rate as well right?)

My wife is afraid to drive the car. I gotta get this addressed.

Thank you very much for any feedback. Happy holidays!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by drpesq
. . . . . .

For those who don't know, there is a service campaign to replace the suspension compressor and relay which - the indy confirmed - affects my car and was never done.

. . . .

I thought service campaigns go beyond the warranty period.

Do you have the range of models/years for the campaign?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by N_Jay
I thought service campaigns go beyond the warranty period.

Do you have the range of models/years for the campaign?
I'll look into it further, but I have read 2 threads regarding all 2007 and up to 02/08 production US GL450s being in need of the update.

Apparently the Compressor was upgraded with a supply line less susceptible to leaks and the new relay doesn't allow the compressor to run as long to avoid overheating...

My understanding about service campaigns is that its discretionary whether its paid for by the manufacturer - in or out of warranty.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
"low voltage" means just that - "low voltage". it usually happens when your battery is bad. not accidentally, the esp malfunction is one of the tell tales of a battery going bad.

and yes, your truck is affected by the compressor/relay recall.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 AM

GL 350
Battery not the problem

Originally Posted by alx
"low voltage" means just that - "low voltage". it usually happens when your battery is bad. not accidentally, the esp malfunction is one of the tell tales of a battery going bad.

I had 2 new batteries (main and secondary) installed at the dealer. $630. The malfunction light still comes on. Next...?

DRP
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM

GL 350
Originally Posted by alx

The dealer scan did not indicate my vehicle had any recall on the compressor. That was the end of the discussion about the compressor with the dealer. I was told it was a service campaign - which means its discretionary. Dealers will do it on in warranty cars.

I'll call Mercedes customer service directly (that should be a hoot).

So - I still get the malfunction light with the down arrow. And the fault codes reference "ESP" low voltage on control module and problems will each wheel sensor. The shop tested each sensor independently and they're functioning fine. Perhaps it's the ride height sensors? The malfunction light goes on every time I drive the car, but only after a few miles. It's not on at start up ever. The car also can raise and lower, and there is no leak in the bags - no sagging at all. Maybe it really is a software fault? I'm just not convinced that replacing the compressor is going to remedy the problem (just like a new battery didn't do anything either).

Question: for those who have needed new suspension compressors - is there a warning light before they fail?

How much labor is involved replacing the height sensors? They're in the wheel well, but I imagine there's some programming involved - otherwise I'd do it myself.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Happy holidays
DRP
Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Gl320cdi
Any update drp?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 AM

GL 350
Fit as a fiddle

So shortly after my last post, and quite a while ago, I had the dealer - not the Indy - install a new compressor and relay. The price was the same! Also the dealer performed the cam sensor recall work while it was in. The airmatic - and in fact the whole car - has worked flawlessly since then and that was over 10k miles ago. I did replace the front air shocks and rear air bladders with Arnott products. Two if them were leaking and the other two were necessary to ensure the new compressor doesn't burn out trying to keep up with a slow leak. I spent less than $700 on the suspension parts and did the install myself. Car is great. Let's hope it stays that way for a while.

Apparently the low voltage fault was due to the faulty old compressor.

Regards,
DRP