Upper Oil Pan Leaking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Upper Oil Pan Leaking.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am not to the point in explaining my situation.

I have a 07 GL450 from last 5 years and it now has 87000 miles, oil changes has been done on this car every 5-6000 mile but every time I did an oil change after few weeks I use to check the level and it use to be always little over the max (Above the Red head of dip stick) my car doesn't burn oil at all the oil level stays the same. As the car is out of warranty I take it to a Indy shop who is also a good buddy of mine and while changing the oil this time we noticed there was a oil condensation kind on the power steering rack lines which goes to the Radiator, and then we look more closer at other parts we found some oil drops (bubble) on the front side below the main shaft belt, and after discussing with each other for a while my mechanic said it is Upper oil pan leaking, but we don't see any leak behind the pan, it is just on the front upper side, so after few goggling I believe it could very well be oil pressure block seal, because that also sits very close to the pulleys and main pulley. And hardly saw anyone with upper pan oil leaking issues.

My question is did anyone had experienced upper oil pan leak? or is it because of excess oil in the pan which is been thrown out, and I dont see any oil drips on the floor or in the plastic board....It is just driving me nuts https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif dont know why even after taking so care of this car it keeps haunting me for extra money, and not sure it this would help, recently only (last month) I changed my spark plugs and except 1 plug rest of the 7 plugs had very little oil in their threads, for eg like lubing a screw before inserting it into any object....

And my mechanic said to get to this upper pan, we will have to dissemble all the front suspension, remove the the engine and then fix it, I am little worried to do that because who knows if the sealant doesn't work good it will get worse and once you screw up with the original engine fitting and etc it never sits back right like the way company did it.

Please advise what should I do.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Don't touch. It will get worse and it will be obvious where it leaks from. Right now you are guessing where it leaks from and it is an expensive guess.

If you are determined to fix it asap though- dye the oil and have your mechanic trace the leak that way.

But... As i mentioned, I would not bother for now

Btw, oil pan leaks are not common on the gasoline or Diesel engines on the x164 platform.

Last edited by alx; 01-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM

2015 - GL 550
Thanks Alx

I too feel the same, but my mechanic sounded confident about the upper oil pan leak, but anyways I will go to them tomorrow and get it cleaned to see where the leak source is, and how do we dye the oil?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Thanks Alx

I too feel the same, but my mechanic sounded confident about the upper oil pan leak, but anyways I will go to them tomorrow and get it cleaned to see where the leak source is, and how do we dye the oil?
black light activated dye is sold in any car store. put in the proper amount in the oil, drive a few days and have your indy check with black light to identify the fresh leak.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM

2015 - GL 550
Today I took my car to the MB Dealership and just showed them there is a leak with my skinny torch and also mentioned them after 4 days of cold I started my car my Check Engine light showed up and car was shivering and after restarting it again everything was normal.....

So I got a call today from SA after 4-5 hrs and he said my guys checked out the car and the leak is from Power Steering Pump I was like wow really and then I told my SA that my Indy said it is Upper Oil Pan and he was like I dont think so but I insisted before you touch my car I want you guys to be 100% sure about the leak source.....
So my question is, is it possible that the leak very well could be Power Steering Pump? and my Indy mis diagnosed it. I am so confused and in limbo who to believe.

And also about the Check Engine light dealer said your Coils are bad Cylinder 7 & 8 are misfiring so I gave them ok to change the coils.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ps pump could leak, but your Indy should have been able to determine what is the leaking fluid. If it smells like gasoline - it is engine oil. If not- see what else is around the leak area.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 PM

2015 - GL 550
No he did not smell the Oil and I believe Dealership by now must have washed out the oil with the break cleaner so noway to find it out if it was really PS Pump or Oil. But either way they gonna work on the car on Monday and the SA said he will convey the message about through check before they do the PS Pump.
So far the SA what I been using is good and his mechanics does a great job and about my Indy I just use him for some Brake and Plugs\Filter job thats all, and moreover my Indy was a Audi mechanic but also does Merc and Bimmer nicely.