GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rare 2007 GL (Looking for some information and help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL
Rare 2007 GL (Looking for some information and help)

I am looking at a 2007 GL450 for sale with some rather rare options right now, and I am very curious about some things. It would seem this is a "manufacturer vehicle" meaning it was sent out as a prototype to dealers for demonstration purposes, but somehow made it out onto the market.

It has a few rare options such as the off road pkg, and distronic. Although it gets fishy.. It has no skid plates (part of off road package), it has solar laminated glass (part of tri-zone climate pkg) but no tri-zone climate, it has the 20" rims from the premier edition (and they are from the factory- code R61) and the kicker, it has active ventilated seats, which were never available in 2007.

I am trying to find out about the official options list from a vin decoder. I have used the russian sites but the translations never come out right. I even went through all the codes, but this vehicle has some weird codes like 018A/M "to be refitted before sale", R61 and others.

The vin is 4JGBF71E57A095987 so any help would be appreciated. I know some people post their vins and then random posters will post the data. Thanks! And please chime in.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 SLK 230, 2007 GL 450
I'll shoot you a PM with the data card...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 AM

GL
Originally Posted by mrchris

cool thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM

GL
Originally Posted by mrchris
Did you send it? I don't know how this site works that well since I'm new here.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
you want to purchase out of warranty prototype/ demo vehicle that has been put through god knows what and prolly has seen its odometer reset several times in the process?

Last edited by alx; 01-20-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM

GL
Originally Posted by alx
you want to purchase out of warranty prototype/ demo vehicle that has been put through god knows what and prolly has seen its
odometer reset several times in the process?

1) It is only a one owner car (after being titled at 1500 miles 6 months into it) all service is documented and clean carfax and only has 55,000 miles

2) It comes with an extended warranty (I worry about the trans and air susp)
-I'm curious, is the air susp in the off road model better than the standard one? I know it has more ride height settings, but I do not know the differences.

3) And yes I am dying to have probably the only 2007 gl with a/c seats; and probably one of very few that also has distronic and off road package two things I have wanted in a gl as I have been looking for a while and they are very rare options.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM

I did send it, look up towards the right top, in the same little box as your username, it should show private messages right under that.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:24 PM

GL
yeah it says 0 messages. I keep checking. Can you post it in here?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1g...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

95 E320 Sportline/ 86 190E 2.3-16/ 05 C55
THESE VEHICLES USUALLY CAME OUT STRANGE CERTAIN PARTS MAY HAVE NOT BEEN AVAILABLE YET FOR THE VEHICLE AND MB WAS UNDER THE GUN TO GET THESE CARS OUT FOR PROMO. AFTER THIS THEY USUALLY DO SELL THE VEHICLES. IT HAS ALL OPTIONS BUT SAY THE SKID PLATES WERENT MADE YET THAT IS WHY IT DOESNT HAVE THEM. PLUS OTHER OPTIONS LIKE COOLED SEATS WAS AVAILABLE BUT MAY NOT BEEN A US OPTION IN 07 BUT THIS BEING WHAT IT WAS A DEMO CAR STILL GOT IT. I WILL EMAIL YOU THE IMAGES FOR THE OPTIONS.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 PM

GL
Originally Posted by LEISTUNG1
THESE VEHICLES USUALLY CAME OUT STRANGE CERTAIN PARTS MAY HAVE NOT BEEN AVAILABLE YET FOR THE VEHICLE AND MB WAS UNDER THE GUN TO GET THESE CARS OUT FOR PROMO. AFTER THIS THEY USUALLY DO SELL THE VEHICLES. IT HAS ALL OPTIONS BUT SAY THE SKID PLATES WERENT MADE YET THAT IS WHY IT DOESNT HAVE THEM. PLUS OTHER OPTIONS LIKE COOLED SEATS WAS AVAILABLE BUT MAY NOT BEEN A US OPTION IN 07 BUT THIS BEING WHAT IT WAS A DEMO CAR STILL GOT IT. I WILL EMAIL YOU THE IMAGES FOR THE OPTIONS.

Weird because the card says 481: undershields which i assume is the skidplates since it has the ADS code and offroad pkg code too.

It has voice command too and that is not listed on the card. It also is so early that the rearview camera was not available yet, and I think I read somewhere that the GLs without the camera have a dipping passenger mirror but not the ones with the camera. Digression, all the package info says the off road package or appearance package was supposed to come with cross bars in 07 but I don't think they ever did right? Not until 08?

Also I am well aware of the packages and options as aol autos has a spectacular database; Just click over to the options tab after selecting GL450.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Mercedes_B...MATIC/options/

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM

It's always possible they were there and removed because they were damaged or some shop removed them to do service and didn't replace them. It's not uncommon.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 PM

GL
Can you post the "images for the options?"

and i noticed a lot of early production vehicles were missing the skid plates so that is most likely the scenario.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4JGBF71E57A095987.pdf (43.8 KB, 277 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM

GL
I noticed the color of this car is "bright silver metallic" and the only silver available in 2007 was iridium silver metallic.

So this color was not made in 2007?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...2007/gl-class/
ACCORDING TO THIS FOR TOUCH UP PAINT THEY OFFERED BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC BUT IS CODE 744 775 WHICH IS SHOWN ON THIS IS IRIDIUM SILVER.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Cool find! The fact that it has Distronic, leather, offroad package, cooled seats, lists a different paint color, and is nearly fully loaded is so, so cool! And the fact that this seems like it was a manufacturer car is so cool too!

But, now, in all seriousness, be very careful with this -- as we can see, this is a manufacturer car -- and at that, it seems to be like pre-production -- and for at least two years before it was documented (according to CarFax). I question the mileage of that vehicle and what it's been through, and the service history, or lack thereof. The color, lack of a rearview camera despite P1, etc, the odd datacard, the CarFax, the fact that it has the ventilated front seats which weren't available at the time -- all of it just concerns me. Also, what do you mean that it doesn't have 3 zone climate control? It has the rear off button, and I see the climate control in the rear? Do you mean on the data-sheet? The refitted before sale code is also odd. Also, I have a 2009 and I know that then the chrome fog lamps identified P2...

My conclusion: This was a pre-production vehicle with pre-production parts that was probably driven hard and not well maintained, with no real history, until it was given/sold at an auction... Overall, IMHO, I'd be very concerned about this -- we can see it's pre-production with pre-production equipment and parts, very little documented service, and it has some things and is missing some things that it should have. Pre-production!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 AM

By the way all that is IMO and I could be completely wrong about it.

Also, if you want I have some contacts that I could reach out to in order to get more details on this for you?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

GL
Originally Posted by cjaredscott
Cool find! The fact that it has Distronic, leather, offroad package, cooled seats, lists a different paint color, and is nearly fully loaded is so, so cool! And the fact that this seems like it was a manufacturer car is so cool too!

But, now, in all seriousness, be very careful with this -- as we can see, this is a manufacturer car -- and at that, it seems to be like pre-production -- and for at least two years before it was documented (according to CarFax). I question the mileage of that vehicle and what it's been through, and the service history, or lack thereof. The color, lack of a rearview camera despite P1, etc, the odd datacard, the CarFax, the fact that it has the ventilated front seats which weren't available at the time -- all of it just concerns me. Also, what do you mean that it doesn't have 3 zone climate control? It has the rear off button, and I see the climate control in the rear? Do you mean on the data-sheet? The refitted before sale code is also odd. Also, I have a 2009 and I know that then the chrom
e fog lamps identified P2...

My conclusion: This was a pre-production vehicle with pre-production parts that was probably driven hard and not well maintained, with no real history, until it was given/sold at an auction... Overall, IMHO, I'd be very concerned about this -- we can see it's pre-production with pre-production equipment and parts, very little documented service, and it has some things and is missing some things that it should have. Pre-production!

it is a really rare build indeed.

1) backup camera was a stand alone option which was available only if you got prem 1 pkg but it was delayed availability. Nearly all had the camera it was pretty common so this just shows its an early build

2) the chrome fog covers came with the cornering fog lights in the lighting package in 2007

3) the car was sold after only about a year with 1500 miles to its sole owner for the last 6 years.

4) it doesn't actually have tri zone climate. I saw on the data card tinted glass and I thought it was the solar glass from the tri zone climate package but you can always tell tri zone climate because the front climate controls have a little screen instead of just the fan selection lights in the middle.

I will post the official options when I get to my laptop. All it is missing it tri zone climate, and multicontour seat pkg. The rearview camera was not available yet. I don't count accessories as options (ie iPod adapter, illuminated door sills, running boards, chrome door handle pockets, grille guard, side steps, wheel locks, cargo tray and box)

it also has an aftermarket DVD system that looks like the Mercedes one but I hate it and would take it out and of course because the heating pkg it can't have the wood steering wheel.

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM

GL
By the way all that is IMO and I could be completely wrong about it.

Also, if you want I have some contacts that I could reach out to in order to get more details on this for you?
any additional info would be great!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM

GL
Originally Posted by LEISTUNG1
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...2007/gl-class/
ACCORDING TO THIS FOR TOUCH UP PAINT THEY OFFERED BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC BUT IS CODE 744 775 WHICH IS SHOWN ON THIS IS IRIDIUM SILVER.
weird everywhere I look it says just iridium silver. I even checked cars.com. Does anyone have a bright silver gl?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Hey gwernerjr

I'll definitely reach out and grab some more info.

I found this car here last night before my responses:

But, about #4. It does have Tri-Zone climate control. The little screen was for Canada only. Otherwise in the US, it looks exactly like the pictures online do (I have it in my '09 -- Click here to see the one in this '07 GL). You can also tell by the "rear off" button and the actual climate controller in the rear. (see here in that GL)

I saw the car and the options list online. Another thing that gave me cause for concern was the fact that it seems to have been never serviced at an MB dealership except once (and I know that if I where to buy pre-owned, I'd only ever buy one that's been serviced at an MB dealership, full history, etc). Also, it looks like they've been trying to sell this car for 9 months now...and the fact that it's pre-prouction...who knows what they do with those cars.

But all in all, I'll try to get some more info. But be careful with this, as I believe it is still a pre-production build, meaning that they would have most likely used pre-production parts and it wasn't 100% complete (like bugs ironed out, tweaks, etc).

Sincerely,

Jared
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM

GL
2007 Mercedes Benz GL450 4Matic

Bright Silver Metallic
Gray Leather Seats

Premium I Package
  • Cargo Net
  • Parktronic
  • Power Passenger Seat w/Memory
  • Power Driver Seat w/Memory
  • Power Steering Column
  • Autodimming Driver & Rearview Mirror
  • Power Folding Mirrors
  • Rear Audio Controls
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • harman/kardon LOGIC7 Digital Surround System
  • DVD COMAND Navigation
  • Power Tailgate Open/Close

Sunroof Package
  • Dual shade sun visors
  • Power Tilt/Sliding Glass Sunroof
  • Power Rear Quarter Windows

Heating Package
  • Heated Leather Steering Wheel
  • Heated Rear Seats
  • Heated Washer System

Lighting Package
  • Headlamp Washers
  • Curve Illuminating Bi-Xenon Lights
  • Corner Illuminating Fog Lamps with Chrome Trim

Off Road Package
  • Adaptive Damping System (ADS)
  • 2 Locking Differentials
  • 3 Level Air Suspension
  • Front & Rear Underbody Skid Plates
  • Black crossbars

Premium Leather Seat Trim
  • Burl Walnut Wood Trim
  • Interior Ambient Lighting
Keyless Go

Distronic

Voice Control

Ventilated sets

Trailer Hitch

20" rims

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-22-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by gwernerjr
2007 Mercedes Benz GL450 4Matic

Bright Silver Metallic
Gray Leather Seats

Premium I Package
  • Cargo Net
  • Parktronic
  • Power Passenger Seat w/Memory
  • Power Driver Seat w/Memory
  • Power Steering Column
  • Autodimming Driver & Rearview Mirror
  • Power Folding Mirrors
  • Rear Audio Controls
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • harman/kardon LOGIC7 Digital Surround System
  • DVD COMAND Navigation
  • Power Tailgate Open/Close

Sunroof Package
  • Dual shade sun visors
  • Power Tilt/Sliding Glass Sunroof
  • Power Rear Quarter Windows

Heating Package
  • Heated Leather Steering Wheel
  • Heated Rear Seats
  • Heated Washer System

Lighting Package
  • Headlamp Washers
  • Curve Illuminating Bi-Xenon Lights
  • Corner Illuminating Fog Lamps with Chrome Trim

Off Road Package
  • Adaptive Damping System (ADS)
  • 2 Locking Differentials
  • 3 Level Air Suspension
  • Front & Rear Underbody Skid Plates
  • Black crossbars

Premium Leather Seat Trim
  • Burl Walnut Wood Trim
  • Interior Ambient Lighting
Keyless Go

Distronic

Voice Control

Ventilated sets
Yes...I saw that...but it does have tri-zone.

I'll get back to you with more info momentarily.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM

GL

But, about #4. It does have Tri-Zone climate control. The little screen was for Canada only. Otherwise in the US, it looks exactly like the pictures online do (I have it in my '09 -- Click here to see the one in this '07 GL). You can also tell by the "rear off" button and the actual climate controller in the rear. (see here in that GL)

Hey this pic below is the tri zone climate screen. I have looked at other 2007s with it, it is different. the one you see is the simple three zone climate where it blocks out the rear fan control, versus the one with the screen where the rear can pick temp and air location as well. Also the front seats passengers get individual air location buttons. take a look

http://photos.ecarlist.com/1S/Mg/X2/.../Hi/Pg_800.jpg

it was rare and had additional vents in the ceiling in the rear as well as solar glass

Notice the vents in the ceiling : http://photos.ecarlist.com/ww/oW/2i/.../jA/7w_800.jpg

Notice no vents in the ceiling on the one im looking at: http://www.cstatic-images.com/supers...22/5192/15.jpg

And yes that is the car

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rare 2007 GL (Looking for some information and help)