GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Loud vibration/noise from 2nd row HVAC fan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Loud vibration/noise from 2nd row HVAC fan?

So my wife was complaining about an intermittent loud noise and vibration from her 2008 GL450, then the other night driving home I experienced it, and it was really bad, I though the tranny had gone out or we had a total blow out on a tire. It seemed to be emanating from the center of the car hence thinking due to the severity it was the tranny.
As I was driving on the freeway I couldn’t easily pull over then my son switched off the 2nd row HVAC and the vibration and noise stopped.
I am currently away on business, so haven’t had a chance of looking at it again, she is driving around with the rear HVAC off and she hasn’t had the noise since.
I was thinking it could be the rear blower fan that is located in the center console I think?, but seriously the vibration and noise was so bad it just seems so much more than a fan bearing going out as you could feel us through the floor as we were driving.
Any ideas as I need to get onto this when I back home.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Somebody stuck something in the vents and it got stuck in the squirrel cage. Or the junk came from the front. Anyway- your squirrel cage is out of wack as something is stuck in it.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I don't think it is the squirrel cage as I checked it tonight running the rear fan on all speeds and no noise at all, it seems to be an intermittent thing