GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Help diagnosing a leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Help diagnosing a leak?

I know that it is the $64m question, but I wanted to know if any of you guys can help diagnose a leak that had developed on my 08 GL450.
It looks to be coming from the front LH (Drivers) side of the engine, I noticed it this weekend when I removed the engine cover to change the oil, I don’t think it is engine oil, as my engine oil was black and this is honey colored. Looks like it is leaking above the AC compressor, could it be the PS reservoir?
I didn’t really have time for a dig around, so just looking at pointers at the moment.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Well I think it is the PS tank seal, I replaced mine yesterday, after a few hrs of fiddling around. you need a T30 torx about 3-4 inches long and a 1/4 inch wrench to remove the lh torx (when looking at the car). I found a mirror really helpful to be able to see what is bolted where.

You also have to remove the C clip holding the reservoir to the pump, you will only see this using a mirror, its at the bottom RHS of the reservoir, behind the return hose.
I syringed all the fluid out first, but when you pull off the tank you still get oil everywhere.
My O’ring had flattened compared to the new $3 one from the dealer, one tip for refitting is place the C clip on the tank first so that it is in position, otherwise it is impossible to get your hands down and fit. Once bolted on you can lever the C lip in place with a screwdriver.

After doing it once, I recon I could do it now in about 1 hrs, it is super tight, and by the look of it no tricks.
Good luck