GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

MB wrecked my GL!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 AMG E53 Coupe
MB wrecked my GL!

You know those stories you tell over a drink - some of them are so bizarre but yet so true!

Got a call to let me know my GL (in for service) was "involved in an accident" by one of the technicians. Apparently pulling out of the wide girth bays is precarious! He turned too soon and creamed one of those cement pillars - wiping out the running board and denting passenger side front & rear doors! AMAZING!

I know S**T happens - but this was truly avoidable.

Has anyone ever ever ever had a similar experience and know what the outcome is (aside from the obvious - they will fix it)???? I'm thinking at the very least I get a new set of tires and brakes!!!!!!!!!!

Sad in Virginia!!!
Attached Thumbnails MB wrecked my GL!-mb-damage.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM

CLK 320
Christ what idiocy - but I guess mistakes happen. That truly sucks though, and I think they should do more than just fix it.

Your poor GL

Let us know what they end up doing for you.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
We had a similar thing happen with a GM car of ours. Check to see how much the accident will cost you during a future trade/sale of the vehicle (assuming you didn't lease). We found out that the 'minor' accident lead to a $1500 reduction in trade value when we went to move on.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
It is known as 'diminished value'. Get a written estimate from a DIFFERENT dealer's used car department as to how much, in his professional opinion, the car has been reduced in value even if it is fixed perfectly (the repair SHOULD appear on CarFax). Use that estimate as your leverage in negotiating your additional compensation with the dealer. Also, after the work is complete get it inspected by a high end body shop of your choosing - on their nickle of course! They should NOT be allowed to get away with a bit of Bondo and a dash of paint. The repair paint job should match EXACTLY in the eyes of a professional.

Last edited by Fourdiesel; 03-19-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 AM

2019 AMG E53 Coupe
**UPDATE**

The GM has called me to apologize and will be sending me/delivering an M Class loaner today (as opposed to the C Class I was given). He's given me assurance that he will not cut corners to fix this (e.g. paintless dent repair) - but will have his body foreman evaluate it today. Even the GM, after looking at it, is concerned that the unibody has now suffered damage and at a minimum will require framework; two new doors; and a running board. He further indicated that if after EVERYTHING is done, if I'm not happy, he will "buy the vehicle from me" -

I'm trying to be gracious and professional. Sure, i'm upset (haven't even made my first car payment yet). I do have confidence that MB will move mountains to make this right....

Hopefully, as a gesture, they might consider giving me some sort of maintenance plan for a few years and make my first few car payments (equivalent to and DV value incurred).

What a headache (and heartache)!

Thanks gang - any other suggestions are appreciated and welcome!

Cheers,
Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Good to hear they are trying to make it right. Another piece of advice...find out exactly what they are going to report to Carfax. In our case, the vehicle was hit in the right rear wheel, causing some minor wheel well damage as well as shearing off a few lug nuts. As a result, the car was towed (we weren't sure if the axel was bent...it wasn't). The carfax report said we suffered 'major damage,' the car was disabled, and airbags had deployed. We were going to trade the car and found that the undamaged value was $14500 but with that report, it was $9500. With the actual damage, it's $13k. If they report it correctly and compensate you for the additional loss of value, I think you will have done well...

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 AM

2019 AMG E53 Coupe
The Saga Continues~

Today marks ONE FULL WEEK since they wrecked my GL. I've spoken with the GM and MBUSA to get the ball moving forward as there appears to be delays around insurance adjusters coming to validate/authorize the $7k damages caused by the mechanics inability to drive through their own lot!

My liaise with MB has started to become sour and unnecessarily egregious! I've been patted on the head and told "we gave you a rental car for no charge, are fixing your vehicle with genuine MB parts, and will be happy to give you a free A & B level service" - are you kidding me?????

$7k damage to my car - the least you can do is give me a rental! An A&B level service is all of what, $750 value? I've made two car payments on a car I'm not able to drive! MBUSA is REALLY missing the opportunity to ensure brand loyalty!!! In my ire, I reminded them I've purchased 12 Daimler products in 20 years totaling more than $450k - that, in and of itself is worth more than a $750 service! My GM/Cadillac driving spouse gets better attention when she gets an oil change than what MB is offering to make this travesty right!!!

Oh, did I mention that they humbly implored me to "rate the automated service experience survey" based on the service not on the "incident of wrecking my car" - because they really value the survey scores! HOW BOLD! However, I love the service department and did that - giving them the usual high marks for the service and left out the fact they wrecked my car in the process..... This was completed prior to the communication break down and unwillingness to put the customer first!

At this rate - this may be my LAST MB purchase! I cannot imagine Cadillac or BMW treating their loyal elite in the fashion that MB is treating me! I am the victim and they're treating me like I'm at fault and they're doing me a favor by fixing my car! Gimme a break!!

Way to go Mr. Cannon! Thanks for answering my communications (not) and thank you for destroying a 20 year Daimler loyal branded customer! Sad! Truly Sad!

Sigh.......