Illuminated running board- Connector for LED's on 2012 GL 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230
Smile Illuminated running board- Connector for LED's on 2012 GL 350

Hi All,
I had got my 2012 GL 350's illuminated side running board installed at a dealership.
When the guy (who was not very experienced in doing this) got finally to connect the LED lights to the SAM, he said all the slots in the SAM were occupied (I have a fully loaded car, not sure it was cause of that?).

So said he will figure out the next day and I should come and pick up my car the next day.
When I went in to pick the car the next day, I was told by another service advisor, that they had to use the car's Hitch connection to plug my side running boards LED lights and was not able to do it in the SAM itself.

Both my service advisor and the guy that worked on the car were not available (was their day off it seems) and so was not able to talk to them.

But my question is, plugging the connection to the trailer hitch's connection, is this normal to do? Will this break anything? Or cause any other problems, that the dealership did not anticipate?

Appreciate all your inputs and expert advice.

Thanks.

Last edited by Amanm; 03-23-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Slk 230
Anyone experienced anything like this???? Anyone....

Originally Posted by Amanm
Hi All,
I had got my 2012 GL 350's illuminated side running board installed at a dealership.
When the guy (who was not very experienced in doing this) got finally to connect the LED lights to the SAM, he said all the slots in the SAM were occupied (I have a fully loaded car, not sure it was cause of that?).

So said he will figure out the next day and I should come and pick up my car the next day.
When I went in to pick the car the next day, I was told by another service advisor, that they had to use the car's Hitch connection to plug my side running boards LED lights and was not able to do it in the SAM itself.

Both my service advisor and the guy that worked on the car were not available (was their day off it seems) and so was not able to talk to them.

But my question is, plugging the connection to the trailer hitch's connection, is this normal to do? Will this break anything? Or cause any other problems, that the dealership did not anticipate?

Appreciate all your inputs and expert advice.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
mine were connected to the foot well lights but also work with rear dome light on …….dont know if that helps they r suppose to dim n brighten up with door function …..so no clue how it would work with trailer hitch ….
Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 AM

Slk 230
Thanks, mine does switch on and off when I do the following:
- Unlock the car
- Open the car door, when its engine is switched off
its switched off and on , no dimming of lights.
But I did notice that, when the car engine is running (and in neutral) and then I open the door, the lights do not come on, so not sure if it should come on or not, with the engine running and the door open.

Originally Posted by UDWANIT2
mine were connected to the foot well lights but also work with rear dome light on …….dont know if that helps they r suppose to dim n brighten up with door function …..so no clue how it would work with trailer hitch ….