GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

first impression: Arnott vs OEM air suspension for GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 GL450
Lightbulb first impression: Arnott vs OEM air suspension for GL450

sharing some personal experience about rear air suspension from Arnott.

received the rear air suspension from arnott.
one of them got damaged during shipping: the plastic pin that is supposed to plug the air fitting got sheared off, leaving a portion of the plastic pin in the air fitting and difficult to retrieve. one way to retrieve it would be to dissemble the air fitting and thus could damage the airbag and void the warranty. Just sent Arnott a message requesting help on it.

The other one got installed replacing the old airbag. during installation, the center ring on top of the airbag that is supposed to connect with the retaining clip got loose easily and broke apart from the airbag. had to press it back into the top of the airbag to connect with the retaining clip.

the OEM airbag has better/stronger retaining mechanism that will hang the airbag in place. It took quite some efferts to break loose the old airbag from the car. But the Arnott's retaining mechanism is very weak, could bearly hang the weight of airbag.

Hopefully during normal operation, it is very rare for the airbag to depend on the retaining clip to stay in position.
Attached Thumbnails first impression: Arnott vs OEM air suspension for GL450-plug-shearedoff.jpg   first impression: Arnott vs OEM air suspension for GL450-center-ring.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I believe that top clip is only to retain the bag from falling out while the car is raised with the suspension hanging. It wouldn't play any useful role once the car is back on the ground.

And in the future if the car is raised (once the bags are inflated) it wouldn't be used then either, because the bag would be a tight fit since it was inflated.

When you remove the bag, you'll see that unless you unscrew/disconnect the airline AND squeeze the bag a bit to deflate, you can't get it out.

I believe those clips were only to hold the bag in on the assembly line until you got the bag inflated and car on the ground. I wouldn't worry about the clips at all.

For the plastic pin you might be able to jam a Philips screwdriver into the stub and turn it out or use needlenose pleirs. I remember those pins either pulled out or unscrewed quite easily.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 450
What are your impressions of the Arnott air bags vs the stock bags? Can you tell a difference in ride/performance or handling?

One poster was very critical of the Arnott product and highly recommended sticking with OEM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
The front Arnotts looked and perform exactly the same as the OEM ones I replaced. Maybe a little better, but the old ones had over 100,000 miles on them.

The rears look the same but they took away a little of the 'bounciness' the OEMs had. I suspect that's because the OEM ones were worn out.

I didn't buy this truck new but would be very surprised if you could tell the difference between the set of OEMs and Arnotts. They perform basically exactly the same (although slightly better in my case because the OEMs were worn out.

I wouldn't hesitate in a minute to buy the Arnotts again.

Also, they offer a lifetime warranty where MB doesn't. That should say something about the quality of their product. I really do believe Arnott took an OEM design and duplicated it, while also 'improving' the failure areas. So you have a 'good as new' product that got turned into a 'better than new' product.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM

2008 GL 450
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by crossfire190
What are your impressions of the Arnott air bags vs the stock bags? Can you tell a difference in ride/performance or handling?

One poster was very critical of the Arnott product and highly recommended sticking with OEM.
sorry for late reply, haven't been here for a while.

after replacing the air struts, my GL450 rides and handles like brand new (i've also replaced the set of tires), my whole family noticed the quieter and nicer ride and are happy with the fix. Can not praise enough on the arnott airbags. me too, will order from arnott again without hesitation.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM

2008 GL 450
Originally Posted by texas008
sorry for late reply, haven't been here for a while.

after replacing the air struts, my GL450 rides and handles like brand new (i've also replaced the set of tires), my whole family noticed the quieter and nicer ride and are happy with the fix. Can not praise enough on the arnott airbags. me too, will order from arnott again without hesitation.

Thanks.