GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New GL320 CDI Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
New GL320 CDI Owner with Questions

Hey guys, I have been lurking for a few weeks, doing a little research, and ended up buying a 2008 GL320 CDI a few weeks backs and have been enjoying it ever since. Some stats: Black on Black with the only options being the Luxury 1 Package, the iPod connector, and the 19" twin five-spoke wheels. One-owner (older lady in Real Estate), 85K miles, dealer maintained, and very clean all the way around.

I was also looking at a 2009 BlueTec (which threw a O2 sensor error code before I could test drive it) and the Audi Q7 TDI (which was too small and not enough features for the comparable price).

Based on what I read here, I did pick up the extended warranty (3yr/36K miles ) that covers the Airmatic, Nav, and all those other crazy expensive things that most warranties don't. Pricey and hopefully never used, but it will give me and the wife piece of mind as this is our traveling vehicle.

I have already added 5v iPod adapter and 30-pin to Lightning Connector adapter to the iPod cable so that my iPhone 5 works in the car. Upgraded Nav DVD and Bluetooth adapter are in the mail. And I want to the get the foldable rear cargo mat and possibly install the running boards.

So here is my questions:

1. The cover for the battery is missing, and the one the dealer (not-MB) sent me is incorrect as well. I've been looking at diagrams everywhere and can't find the part number. Does any have that handy? I want to provide a part number so that I don't get the wrong part again.

2. This is my first diesel; is there anything I need to know about maintaining the engine that is different from a gas engine? I typically throw in dry gas, carb cleaner into my other vehicles in the fall to prevent line-freeze, and have used Restore in other high mileage vehicles to keep the engine purring. Is there anything I should do besides changing the oil on time?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
1. dont bother. just make sure the carpet cover is on

2. do not add anything to the fuel or oil. the truck uses 5w40 esp mobil 1 synthetic oil and you should stick to it. also do not use bio fuel on your particular vehicle / mileage

if you are doing your own service replacing the air filters requires engine adaptations reset via das.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
If you are in one of the states that forces B-20 (IL for example), it is OK to use.
Get it at busy stations that move a lot of diesel, and try to fill up out of the area when you can.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
if the truck never had biodiesel in its life there is sludge accumulated (normal) at that mileage.

biodiesel is a very strong detergent. once you fill up a sludged up truck you will end up with a clogged fuel filter at best and needing both fuel pumps and injectors at worse. i have seen this several times and parts alone were over $7k and not covered by any warranty. whole repair bills were well over $15k each time.

do not use biodiesel if it hasnt been routinely used throughout the life of the vehicle.

Last edited by alx; 07-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Do they run Bio in TX? My truck, brought into IL from TX with 96K miles has not had any problems (18K miles)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM

2008 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by alx
1. dont bother. just make sure the carpet cover is on

2. do not add anything to the fuel or oil. the truck uses 5w40 esp mobil 1 synthetic oil and you should stick to it. also do not use bio fuel on your particular vehicle / mileage

if you are doing your own service replacing the air filters requires engine adaptations reset via das.
1. The dealer is picking up the cost, but I just wanted to make sure I had the right part number when I call them back. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Thanks for the tip on the biodiesel. I don't think we have much of that in VA, but it does look to be everywhere in NC where we'll be traveling through. I'll have to fill up before we leave the Commonwealth.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 PM

2008 GL320 CDI
Just got back from our trip (the reason we "needed" a larger vehicle) and the GL ran like a champ. Having only put a hundred or so miles on the truck before we left, I was a little worried, but we had absolutely no hick-up putting nearly 2,000 miles on the odometer over the week. And we are looking forward to doing more trips in the future.

I ended up having to swap out the battery before we left. Since the front seat needs to come out to be done properly, I was hesitant to bring it anywhere but the dealership. I knew the battery had some surface corrosion, but it turns out they couldn't pull off the ground cable - another $32 and hour of labor. The one hour battery replacement ended up taking 3 hours. The cover (164-680-12-18) is on order, so I finally have the part number.

We did find out one of the rear doors is temperamental when locking the doors, so we'll have that as our first warranty item when it goes in for the Schedule C maintenance in a few thousand miles.