GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

CEL after windshield washing

Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350 2010
CEL after windshield washing

Hi guys,

for 2 years i am having CEL on and local dealer just clear it. no obvious performance or consumption issue noticed. see my previous thread here

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...de-106c00.html

The other day, when CEL was off, i washed windshield only in order to apply nano cover and then poured some water, not much 2-3Liter. after 1hour i started the car and immediately CEL came ON. (it was not raining for several weeks) as you see my previous thread, i also noticed it turns on when i drive in rain. so i am confident now this is related to water. but i am unable to identify real cause of it so asking your help to guide me. Where should i check water tightness? engine area? or maybe exhaust area? Top of the engine or bottom? rear/front?

since washing windshield touches only front area, i assume engine area is best bet. could this be along the chasis, under the windshield? any sensor around there?

except removing engine cover, any other things that i could remove myself in order to make it easier to investigate?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by tsagaan
Hi guys,

for 2 years i am having CEL on and local dealer just clear it. no obvious performance or consumption issue noticed. see my previous thread here

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...de-106c00.html

The other day, when CEL was off, i washed windshield only in order to apply nano cover and then poured some water, not much 2-3Liter. after 1hour i started the car and immediately CEL came ON. (it was not raining for several weeks) as you see my previous thread, i also noticed it turns on when i drive in rain. so i am confident now this is related to water. but i am unable to identify real cause of it so asking your help to guide me. Where should i check water tightness? engine area? or maybe exhaust area? Top of the engine or bottom? rear/front?

since washing windshield touches only front area, i assume engine area is best bet. could this be along the chasis, under the windshield? any sensor around there?

except removing engine cover, any other things that i could remove myself in order to make it easier to investigate?

Thanks in advance.
You really need to read your car and look accordingly. There are many places under the hood where water is not welcome, but might find its way in there.