GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL 350
Tire Replacement

I know a lot has been discussed here about the run-flat tires, but thought I would put my recent experience up. Vehicle came with Goodyears. I thought they were terrible. Replaced them with Bridgestone Duellers from Costco in Florida while we were there on vacation. They made it feel like a new vehicle. On the weekend, had a problem with a roofing nail which deflated one tire on the way to our cottage in the middle of no-where. Had a plug kit, so plugged it, inflated with my electric compressor that's always in the back, and went on my way. Got to the cottage and set the pressure and except for a little shimmy at highway speed, everything was fine for the balance of the weekend.

Took the car in to Costco here in Toronto so they could repair or replace the tire as necessary and again, got great service. The service advisor, Daniel, advised that the tire with the problem was trashed and would have to be replaced. His view/Costco policy is that for four wheel drive vehicles, if one tire has to be replaced, all of the tires have to be replaced. He immediately saw the concern in me about the cost of replacing four tires when only one had a problem (which would be covered by the warranty) so he quickly assured me that all of the tires would be covered by warranty and that I would pay a pro-rated price for the new set. He did his best to find a replacement set but ultimately had to order them in, meaning I have to wait, but he again assured me that he would make sure the pro-rata calculation will make me happy to compensate for the inconvenience of having to wait.

Costco also offers a long list of free services which go with a tire purchase, such as nitrogen fill on installation and free top ups as long as you own the tires, lifetime balance and rotation, to name a few.

Not trying to spam anyone, but just thought you might want to know about the Costco alternative if you have one in your area.