Looking to Buy 2011-2012 GL450 or GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RX400H
Need Buying Advice GL450 vs GL550 and Warranties

Hi,
I am a new member and with kids and their stuff we are looking at getting a larger vehicle. We currently drive a Lexus RX400H and No minivans allowed in our household.

I am torn between the GL550 and the GL450. Would look at the GL350 but they are going for a hefty premium in Northern California. We drive about 8,000 miles per year so the gas guzzler hit isn't that bad relatively speaking and we would be going from a hybrid that gets 20+mpg in the city to 12/13 anyway so prepared for that as there are no large vehicles getting great mileage in the city.

Seems pricing wise a 2011 GL550 falls about the same as a 2012 GL450 with somewhat similar specs and close enough mileage but GL550 has better driving dynamics and is loaded. I have time to look around but likely close on one by end of the year.

Any recommendations on one vs the other.

We also want a MB warranty for at least 3-4 years. Any recommendations or insights on MB Warranty to go 4 years from purchase . Time is more important than mileage since we don't drive that much. Places to buy them other than dealer as price would be influenced on vehicle purchase deal.

Also when does MB inventory on used GL450/550's the best to negotiate deals. Summer, Fall, ?

Last edited by lafuerza; 08-19-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
My opinion only

When these things hit 50K the price drops big time as they are out of warranty. To buy a warranty after 50K is off the planet. You might as well put the 5K into some sort of interest bearing account and draw off it when needed.

Benz is offering a deal now. Buy a CPO, and they will payment assist for two months up to 2K. They will also throw in the next two services and you get unlimited miles and 1 additional year on the remaining warranty and 2.99% for 60 months. What I've found on this deal is the prices are very high compared to the same optioned vehicle on another sellers lot. you're paying for this somehow it's not free!!

Here's what I've figured out. Once these things hit the 50K it's very hard to get any kind or loan with a decent rate. There rational is after 50K these things become mechanical monsters and you'll service them before you make a payment. Some places wont even right a service contract or the cost will be so high, you won't even bite off on the idea.

We have a 2009 Lexus LX570 with almost 90K on it. Not a single problem. Although the fit and finish on the rice burners are not as good as the German cars the reliability is unbeatable.

If I had to get rid of my Benz I'd go back to owning a rice burner. Hands down. I fix everything myself. Parts for this monster are off planet mars too! I buy all my parts through catalogs or the internet. The stealer here in Northern VA sells everything over MSRP. Way over! I'm not talking pennies it's dollars.

If you decide to go this way, seek out a local shop to service it vs. a dealership. Most small shops do a better job as that's how they stay in business. The traditional dealer has many revenue streams to keep them going.

Also the telematics in the German cars are years behind especially if you use an iPhone. Don't know about an Android devises. Can't Bluetooth audio, there is no cord for the iPhone unless you rig up the 30pin adapter to lightning cord. You can buy a Bluetooth adapter for 100 bucks that allows the audio streaming, not sure of it's ability to work well.

Good luck!