GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

DRL's and headlights...

Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
DRL's and headlights...

Hello everyone, we recently got a 2012 GL550 and we are very happy with it so far but this issue with the DRL"s is driving me a little crazy.
While the LED DRL's are on in broad day light, sunny day, the headlights go on if I drive in a partially shaded area, or never mind in a cloudy day, the headlights stay on the whole time.
No matter where the headlight switch is, it makes no difference unless I turn the DRL's off completely in the dash computer.

What I've noticed also is that this truck has a secondary photocell switch or a secondary setting to turn lights on like the inside running lights on doors and to dim the nav/radio and dash lights, which by the way works like it should and only comes on when it gets dark outside like on my other cars which should work on the headlights exactly like that also.

Anyone has this problem and found a remedy for it?

BTW I told the dealer about it while I had the truck for service and they said the settings were incorrect on the dash comp. and that they fixed it, which is BS, still the same.

I did a search on here also but I couldn't find my answer.

Thanks in advance
J.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GL350 Avantguard
Yup..... Working As Designed. I've just lived with it. Drives me nuts, but I just leave it on auto and go. Check this thread....

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ghts-auto.html
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
Originally Posted by lotuni
Yup..... Working As Designed. I've just lived with it. Drives me nuts, but I just leave it on auto and go. Check this thread....

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ghts-auto.html
Thanks for the link, I'm surprised that there's no fix to it, maybe a software update or something being that so many of us in the same boat...

Thanks again...
J