GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Homelink not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL
Homelink not working

I am following the instructions to clear my homelink and set a new code after moving.

When I press buttons 1 & 3 simultaneously, after 20 seconds, the light flashes yellow. I don't get a steady green light. My guess is that none of the following instructions work.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320
Originally Posted by ASMDSAHAI
I am following the instructions to clear my homelink and set a new code after moving.

When I press buttons 1 & 3 simultaneously, after 20 seconds, the light flashes yellow. I don't get a steady green light. My guess is that none of the following instructions work.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
I don't remember what color the light was flashing but the things I noted were.

1.) When I cleared it I just waited until the light changed.
2.) If your garage door has a rotating key you will have to hit the learn button on your opener and then hold down on the button in your car until it pairs to the garage door opener.
3.) You have to hold the remote super close to get it to pair.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Hopefully the solution is as simple as above. Be aware there are many issues with recent MY vehicles which lack the new Homelink communication standard. If that is your case, you end up adding a repeater in your garage which allows communication between the vehicle and opener.

You can determine if the opener has the new communication standard based on the color of the learn button on the opener. I don't know what each color means but you can google it. Good luck trying to find out what standard the car is using. That seems to be more trial and error. Maybe someone here knows more.

FYI, the new Homelink protocol came out probably six years ago or more but as of 2012 only a few vehicle manufacturers were using it.

As I mentioned, google it. There's tons of info out there on the subject across most vehicle brands.

I had to change my three openers a few years ago. Wanted to go with new Homelink protocol because it allows internet and smart home capabilities with the openers. But after much research I found two of my vehicles would have connectivity issues, both MY 2010.

Hope the easy solution works.....