GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

transmission drive style learning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2003 BMW 325i
transmission drive style learning

My wife drives our 2007 GL with about 98k miles every day. I drive it on the weekends sporadically or not at all. Lately, we've been having the "tranny won't shift" symptoms but it's only been when I drive it. Restarting the car fixes the problem until I drive it again, and sometimes the symptom occurs to my wife shortly after I drive it.

For a long time (about 2 years) it would happen intermitently. I took it to the dealer and described the problem. They plugged it in and did not find any issues and asked that I bring it back when it throws a code (which it hadn't).

I finally got a "check engine" light code shortly after the "no shift" symptom which I read with my basic OBII scanner. One code only, pointing me to the yaw control or speed sensors. Light went off after a few cycles of engine on/ off.

I'm aware that I will probably need to replace the throttle body in the transmission, but I just think it's weird that I've got no codes pertaining to the transmission: no LIM lights, or limp home symptoms.

So, I'm just wondering if the transmission has learned my wife's driving style and does not adjust to mine when I drive it. Will a simple "flash" of the tranny control module fix this problem?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Gl320cdi
Have you tried doing the gas pedal trick to relearn the tranny?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 PM

2007 GL450, 2003 BMW 325i
Originally Posted by Summit Benz
Have you tried doing the gas pedal trick to relearn the tranny?
I'll try that... have not yet, but read it somewhere... thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM

GL 450
I had a similar problem with my 2011 GL450. I bought it used at 28K miles, it now has 42K. At low speeds during a downshift between 1500 rpms and 2000 rpms it would shutter as I accelerated. I brought it in to the MB Dealer last week. They said the adaptive transmission thought I was an old lady. Yes I was babying it. They reset the transmission and asked me to drive hard. The tech said cars driven hard have fewer problems. So now I drive like a maniac threatening kids and animals in every neighborhood. While reckless it seems to have had a positive affect on the adaptive shifting shutters I was experiencing. Anyone else have a similar problem?