GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2014 GL350 Bluetech exhaust fume in the cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL350
2014 GL350 Bluetech exhaust fume in the cabin

Has anyone experienced a exhaust fume like smell in the cabin? I recently started having problem with my GL350 smelling like exhaust gas and having trouble breathing without rolling down the window. It is quite noxious and I get headaches and shortness of breath.
I took the car to the dealer but they say they don't smell anything after keeping the car for two days. I called MBUSA and reported the problem but they advised me to wait until it gets more noticeable and take to another dealer. I took the car to another dealer this morning. I hope they find a problem.

Prior to this I had an awful moldy smell from the AC vent, which my dealer fixed under TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Mercedes. That was a problem due to faulty AC evaporator cap design, and they replaced with newly designed evaporator cap and the also included replacing air filter and mediating the whole car.

But I am still stuck with this other exhaust fume like smell. I took the car to the dealer where they fixed my mold problem but they say they don't smell anything. I know this is very difficult problem. The last mold problem also took me visiting two different dealers for finding problem. Hope the dealer I took to this morning finds the root cause.

Please share if any one of you had similar problem with GL350 or any GL class.

Last edited by dtk92657; 10-27-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Post again in the X166 forum if you have a 2014.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
all grommets (especially the steering column pass-through boot) at the firewall should be inspected. somebody might have knocked one out and that is how you get fumes into the cabin. the truck is too new to have a torn grommet so a misinstalled one might be the culprit.

exhaust needs to be pressure checked for leaks - especially at the front

i would venture to guess that the problem does not lie within the ac/ vent system (unless somebody did not install properly the cabin filters/ cover.

fumes into the cabin are some times hard to identify. some detective work is required.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E-320 W-211 CDI
Question Early 'Black Death

Originally Posted by dtk92657
Has anyone experienced a exhaust fume like smell in the cabin? I recently started having problem with my GL350 smelling like exhaust gas and having trouble breathing without rolling down the window. It is quite noxious and I get headaches and shortness of breath.
I took the car to the dealer but they say they don't smell anything after keeping the car for two days. I called MBUSA and reported the problem but they advised me to wait until it gets more noticeable and take to another dealer. I took the car to another dealer this morning. I hope they find a problem.

Prior to this I had an awful moldy smell from the AC vent, which my dealer fixed under TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Mercedes. That was a problem due to faulty AC evaporator cap design, and they replaced with newly designed evaporator cap and the also included replacing air filter and mediating the whole car.

But I am still stuck with this other exhaust fume like smell. I took the car to the dealer where they fixed my mold problem but they say they don't smell anything. I know this is very difficult problem. The last mold problem also took me visiting two different dealers for finding problem. Hope the dealer I took to this morning finds the root cause.

Please share if any one of you had similar problem with GL350 or any GL class.

Perhaps it is the dreaded 'Black Death' that is common in the older CDIs such as mine?

That is why I run at all times with the cover off, as with it off, those fumes
get into the ventilation system whereas with the cover on, they do not.
Also, being my 648 is a straight six, I can see the black crud when it starts to ooze.

Simply an educated guess, but maybe your GL is to new for that to be happening?

Regards,

Derrel