GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

FYI for GL owners regarding wipers and radar sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
FYI for GL owners regarding wipers and radar sensors

Yesterday I posted my wife's 2011 GL550's wipers and BSA(blind spot assist) stop working during a snow shower. I was fortunate to get an appointment in contemporary Mercedes in Erie PA to check the truck out. This was the finding and quote from the service paper,

"No communication with the right side radar sensor fro BSA. Tested and found fuse was blown in rear fuse panel for radar sensors. Not allowing the wipers to work. Replaced bad rear radar sensors and cleared codes"

The service advisor told me the area/location of the sensors and harness, near the rear bumper, had moisture/water buildup and caused the shortage. The troubling thing is she stated the dealership has seen quite a few cases like this with GL and ML. The solution they came up with is to drill a hole in the area to allow the water to escape. The rear bumper was remove for the job. The advisor stated I was luck only 1 sensor was bad and no other harness was fried because at $600 per radar sensors it would be expensive. My wife's truck has 78K miles so warranty was over. It is interesting to note that the BSA failure will cause a wipers malfunction.

For those of you including me who live in a rain/snow area be aware of this potential problem. This is a design issue from Mercedes Benz but it will be costly for us. Today's repair cost me $1064 and I was happy to pay so I can use my wipers again especially with the snow we been having in the Buffalo area.

John