GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rattling noise from front CV joint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Rattling noise from front CV joint

About a week ago we noticed a metal rattling noise coming from the front suspension. Mainly over small bumps and not all the time. It sounded like a loose brake pad and/or worn upper strut bearing.

Well the noise has been getting worse (not louder, just more often) so I crawled under the vehicle and started tapping things with a rubber mallet. When I struck the front passenger side CV joint (the area where it goes into the gearbox - NOT where it connects to the hub/spindle where the brake rotor is) BINGO, there's the metal rattling sound!

This seems really strange to me and I'm wondering if my situation is unique. Has anyone else needed to replace the front CV joint?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 mercedes gl450
www.rockauto.com in case you have to replace CV half shaft assembly . Good prices.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
this is not common. the cv joints have been pretty much a non-issue even on high mileage x164 trucks.

there is a spring clip/ ring that afixes the cv axle into the transmission. if the clip has been damaged and there is excessive play you will get that noise. some play there is acceptable however. also if the internal joint in the cv has been worn out/ damaged the resulting excessive free play might end up making that noise

now.. what is important is the question why is there a movement there at all? there should not be any lateral side-to-side movement and the distance between the tranny and the spindle should remain the same always.

before i start tearing the cv i would look for worn bushings/ steering components that allow that lateral movement. something is moving there side to side (in/out) while the whole assembly should be only moving up/down
Old 10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
im getting a similar noise aswell not sure where its coming from but over large or small bumper i can hear the rattle metal sound mostly passenger side..

did you ever get your issue fix? OP
Old 11-08-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Mine turned out to be loose bolts for the front anti-sway bar. For the record, it was my fault. I replaced the front air springs, as the front end was sagging. I had to loosen the anti-sway bar bolts to remove the strut assembly. I obviously didn't tighten those bolts enough. Since that time, everything has been perfect for almost 20k miles.