GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

US imported GL in Europe (airmatic, comand)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl 500 4Matic
US imported GL in Europe (airmatic, comand)

Hello guys,

Im considering buying 2013 gl imported from USA and Im solving two issues now:

1) I know that airmatic setup is different in US version and I would like to know if someone could compare it. Is US version like EU in comfort mode or is it even more softer? Or where you feel the difference most (curves, etc.)?

2) I found in this model is comand ntg 2.5. To work properly like EU version do I have to replace it or some firmware can make it look like EU version? I found navigation could work properly but my biggest concern is about radio stations browsing. In US version you don't have all avalible stations displayed on main screen but you have to list manual thru the FM waves - this would be big discomfort for me.... Could this be repaired?

Thanks all of you for help and wish you many good luck with your MB`s

PS: sorry for my english

Last edited by M.Rourk; 12-06-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
European FM radio frequencies are separated differently than in North America. Reprograming a US radio for Europe would be pretty difficult. Probably best to replace the radio with a European version (expensive) or put in a good aftermarket radio hooked into the aux port.
I have never heard that the air ride specs are different between US and European markets. It IS possible that cars available in Europe have more options than US cars though.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
European FM radio frequencies are separated differently than in North America. Reprograming a US radio for Europe would be pretty difficult. Probably best to replace the radio with a European version (expensive) or put in a good aftermarket radio hooked into the aux port.
I have never heard that the air ride specs are different between US and European markets. It IS possible that cars available in Europe have more options than US cars though.
That is exactely what I was thinking... I found that aftermarket comand ntg 2.5 is about 700€ so regarding to car price it is not that much...
I heard that airmatic is different but I will have to take car for long test drive to find out if it suits me.
Many thanks for your answer!