GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Recommendations for Roof Cargo Box & Snow Chains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Recommendations for Roof Cargo Box & Snow Chains?

Planning a Spring Break trip with the family, driving from Texas to Colorado. I'm looking for recommendations for a roof cargo rack system. Considering a Thule Sonic XL 635B cargo box. Also, any recos for snow chains? First time considering buying chains, so I'd like to hear from experienced users. I have the 19" wheels.

Thanks!
Dimitris
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM

GL350
I have a similar Thule (in grey). Great boxes, much better than Yakima which I once borrowed from a friend that promtly schredded to pieces on our return trip. It was no fun limping to the nearest exit to buy duct tape just so we can make it home.

I will say one thing again and that is the box itself is nice and solid, but it includes some cheap plastic parts that frustrated the hell out of me. I'll try to explain, but if you buy the box, you might be able to figure it out yourself.

There are 4 clamps that hold down the box to the roof rack/railings. These clamps are held in place with what is very similar to a "cell block" on a skateboard. These are made out of plastic. Within the cell block is where there is a spot for where a screw is put through to hold the clamp in place. The flaw in the design is that there is maybe only about a quarter inch of plastic that secures the screw in place. This is very flimsy and can easily chip off. If/when it chips off, the screw cannot be held in place and the entire clamp will be loose and cannot be used. This happened to me EVER BEFORE our first use of the box. The easy remedy was, I ran to Home Depot and bought essentially what were some large metal "washers" which serve to hold the screw in place. I now tape a smal bag with these extra washers inside the box so I can access them easily the next time one of these plastic blocks chip off.

Basically, they used some $.05 parts which are crucial, to go along with their $500+ boxes. The remedy is simple and effective but it is still frustrating that this is extra step is required to make this a stable/solid box.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GL350 Avantguard
I have the Thule Hyper. Like it a lot. Fits well, low wind noise and clamps on tight. minimal affect on diesel mileage as well. (Not my house in second pic ) Sorry for the large size in pics too.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 PM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Thanks, I'll get a bag of washers!

Originally Posted by cc4sc

The remedy is simple and effective but it is still frustrating that this is extra step is required to make this a stable/solid box.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
We have OEM roof cargo box. Works great.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by cc4sc
There are 4 clamps that hold down the box to the roof rack/railings.
I have used the Thule clamps on several Thule racks when the bars did not have slots.
I never had a problem but also never liked the design.

Thule sells a T-bolt kit and the MB bars have slots. I use leave the bars on my box and take the whole assembly on and off as needed.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM

2014 GL350 BlueTEC
I've just ordered a Yakima Whispbar Rail Bar and the Skybox Pro 21 myself for my 2014 GL350 BlueTEC from REI, will be picking up this weekend. Really could have used this last weekend on our ski trip. Will come in handy for the next one!

The OEM Mercedes roof box looks great and has the shiny Mercedes logo, but the large box is only 450 L. Yakima makes a 600L box which gets rave reviews for rigidness, ease of install and ease of use. (Everyone says get the largest box you can get.) The OEM cross bars also have a very high profile, as opposed to the Yakima Rail Bar, which is nearly flush with the factory raised rails and essentially silent, the standard for low noise cross bars. A friend of mine actually did all the research and sent me these links you should check out:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...#ixzz3PVxzKrE0

Here are a couple of videos I found specific to the SkyBox Pro 21:

David
Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 PM

2014 GL350 BlueTEC
Oops, Duplicate

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by davidahn; 02-20-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 02-20-2015, 06:55 PM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
I ended up purchasing:

- Thule Aeroblade Edge cross-bars (from REI) + 4-lock set
- Thule Sonic 635B XL (from Amazon w/ free S&H)

I'll install this weekend and post pictures.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Not a GL owner but maybe in future. Have a relatively new Yakima Rocketbox 14 that will fit on both the top of our CLS ( I have the MB OEM cross bars for the CLS ) or alternatively on top of our SUV. It's mounted on the latter now and managed to load it with two sets of skis and poles, two ski boot bags and three helmets. Pretty happy with it - some moderate wind noise. Have not done a long distance test on my CLS with the box on but given the slippery shape of the CLS, I am almost 100% sure I will suffer in gas mileage with the box on top of the CLS. There has only been a minor ( 7% or so ) gas mileage penalty with the box on our SUV.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Originally Posted by lotuni
I have the Thule Hyper. Like it a lot. Fits well, low wind noise and clamps on tight. minimal affect on diesel mileage as well. (Not my house in second pic ) Sorry for the large size in pics too.
Question: did you install your crossbars or someone else did? Reason I'm asking is that per the GL manual, the front cross-bar needs to be installed based on the white marks that are set by MB on the inside of the roof rails, which is close to the trailing edge of the front moonroof. I ended up placing the front cross-bar (Thule Aeroblade Edge 7503) at that level, and the rear crossbar about 36" behind. In this photo, this is the farthest back that I can move the cargo box. I'm told that the farther back you move it the least wind noise you get. Due to the rear hatch, I can only move it back perhaps another 10" before it would hit the rear-hatch door. Hope that's OK.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GL350 Avantguard
Sorry for the delay in response.... been traveling.

I did install the MB cross bars myself. I did read the manual and understood what it said but I wanted the box to be mounted as far back as possible (taking into account the tail gate max opening). The box has adjustable clamps and I set those to be the furthest apart then set the back cross bar (while lift gate was open and then set the front.

MB recommends the back cross bar to be between the 2 bars that connect to the truck on the rails. This is for optimal load distribution on it.

My logic was:
1 - as far back as possible to eliminate noise
2 - have the box clamps as apart as possible to distribute load
3 - the rails hold plenty of weight and even with the box loaded full of gear I have never come close to max weight so the cross bars position didn't concern me much

If I ever have to carry steel beams up there I would readjust the cross bars properly

So far not had any issues and its rock solid.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 PM

2014 GL 450
21 cu ft thule force XXL or Yakima Skybox 21

Does anyone happen to have either of these for their GL? I have an x166 (2014) and have narrowed it down to one of these - if they will fit and allow the tailgate to open all the way.

Just wondering if I need to downsize to the XL version.

Also any recommendations on either? I'm leaning towards the Yakima. I was all set on the Thule before seeing both in person at REI.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Gl350
Roof cargo box

Originally Posted by thedma
Does anyone happen to have either of these for their GL? I have an x166 (2014) and have narrowed it down to one of these - if they will fit and allow the tailgate to open all the way.

Also any recommendations on either?
I'm leaning towards the Yakima. I was all set on the Thule before seeing both in person at REI.

Thanks
I am currently in the same boat as you are. Did you ever make a decision? I was also looking at the Thule xl. I was afraid I would not be able to open the back hatch with the longer carriers. The salesman at REI recommended Thule over Yakima but the Yakima box seems a lot more solid
Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Thule worked for me

Originally Posted by thedma

Also any recommendations on either? I'm leaning towards the Yakima. I was all set on the Thule before seeing both in person at REI.

Thanks
I checked Yakima at same time when looking for Thule, and the quality of Thule and aero design was superior. Have had it now for 2 years. Have taken two 13hr drives to Colorado for skiing and two 11hr drives to summer locals and it has been awesome! Taken the car up to 110mph on the highway and never felt I had a box on the top. I purchased the costlier Thule and Aeroblades (low profile) but was worth the cost.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Gl350
Roof cargo box

Originally Posted by dimitristx
I checked Yakima at same time when looking for Thule, and the quality of Thule and aero design was superior. Have had it now for 2 years. Have taken two 13hr drives to Colorado for skiing and two 11hr drives to summer locals and it has been awesome! Taken the car up to 110mph on the highway and never felt I had a box on the top. I purchased the costlier Thule and Aeroblades (low profile) but was worth the cost.
So you got the Thule xxl. Any problem with opening the tailgate? Did you get the Thule force or the sonic? Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
I bought Thule 635B Sonic Cargo Box XL - Black

And matched with the Thule AeroBlade Edge set (Thule Aeroblade Edge 7503). Only thing with the blades is that the width of the existing GL railing is more on the front than the rear of the vehicle, so I ended up buying the Aeroblade Edge 7503 for the front and a slighlty different designation (don't have handy) for the narrower rear. I took the AeroBlade to the REI store, looked at their catalog and bought the 2nd blade that allowed for a more narrow installation.

Ordered the box via Amazon -- free shipping & no hassle to get it transported from REI.

You can view the setup earlier in this thread where I posted a picture of my vehicle on 2-23-15

Last edited by dimitristx; 06-05-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Gl350
Originally Posted by dimitristx
And matched with the Thule AeroBlade Edge set (Thule Aeroblade Edge 7503). Only thing with the blades is that the width of the existing GL railing is more on the front than the rear of the vehicle, so I ended up buying the Aeroblade Edge 7503 for the front and a slighlty different designation (don't have handy) for the narrower rear. I took the AeroBlade to the REI store, looked at their catalog and bought the 2nd blade that allowed for a more narrow installation.

Ordered the box via Amazon -- free shipping & no hassle to get it transported from REI.

You can view the setup earlier in this thread where I posted a picture of my vehicle on 2-23-15
Thanks. I'm getting online this afternoon and ordering the sonic XL from Amazon