GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 Windshield Replacement. Which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
GL550 Windshield Replacement. Which one?

So our Gl550 front windshield has a 10" crack that has formed from an existing rock chip that was supposedly sealed years ago. So looks like it needs to be replaced. When I'm going through the Safelite estimator, it gives 4 different choices. How do I know which one?

I do know that my V1 radar detector won't work on my windshield unless I put it down at the bottom-center of the glass where there is a little section you can see is either un-treated or coated differently. So I assume it's an IR glass or something. Is that the last option with the green tint/laser deletion area? That would make sense, but just checking.

Also, any harm in getting the cheaper glass? Not sure what benefit the more expensive glass gives us.

Blue Tint
Rain Sensor, Solar, Encap, W/Third Visor Band

Green Tint
Rain Sensor, Solar, Encap, W/Third Visor Band
Rain Sensor, Solar, Encap, W/Third Visor Band, soundproofing
Rain Sensor, Solar, Encap, W/Third Visor Band, Solar Coated, W/Compass and Laser Deletion Area
Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
This is just my theory on Safelite glass. USAA insists on you using their glass. Cheap replacement glass I'm guessing! Most of the glass they make themselves. It cracks easier, nicks easier, chips easier and pits easier. USAA does not care, in there eye's and pocketbook they have made you whole again, case closed have a nice life! Have not been real happy. I suspect the cheaper shops just order from them so you are just getting another cook in the kitchen.

I personally have had nothing but issues with the non OEM glass they use. I've complained and complained to USAA and all has fallen of deaf ears. The other issue is their install looks like a 5 year old did it. Sealant dripping on the surrounding molding. Try getting the black goop off the gray material that surrounds the glass. Not happening! Again they use cheap molding that cracks, splits and does not hold up. In a few years it looks like total crap. The last install was a train wreck. On my Subaru they sliced into the dash pad with the razor knife. They paid to have a new one installed. On my mini van they broke the cowling and the wiper motor arms. They said nothing and sent me packing until I turned on the wipers and they did not work but made a horrible noise. Took the van into Dodge they asked if I had the windshield replaced. Yep. They showed me where they used duct tape to tape up the arms. I called USAA, which turfed it right back to safelite who tried to tell me to suck on a lemon. After many calls and climbing the food chain it was fixed. Once you swap out a window it's never the same again. I would suggest you thoroughly go over the job before you leave the shop.

Last edited by CBR Dude; 02-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the USAA/safelite relationship. My plan was to go elsewhere, but I just wanted to be knowledgeable so I got the right window. My MB dealership actually recommended a local company that does all their installs and they order OEM parts. It's like 890 bucks! My deductible with USAA is 200 so hopefully they will cover a non-safelite installed window. We'll see.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Luxury brand windshields are usually in the $1000 range from the stealership. So, you're probably getting a deal.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the USAA/safelite relationship. My plan was to go elsewhere, but I just wanted to be knowledgeable so I got the right window. My MB dealership actually recommended a local company that does all their installs and they order OEM parts. It's like 890 bucks! My deductible with USAA is 200 so hopefully they will cover a non-safelite installed window. We'll see.
USAA here too. After replacing three windshields in two years, I finally talked them into replacing with a factory windshield and told them it would be cheaper in the long run. They looked back at the history and decided to pay for the factory MB windshield. Well, another three years goes by and it is still good. The aftermarket ones are just horrible in comparison to the factory glass.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM

GL550
I must not be the only one complaining about this company?

SAFELITE = Crappy Product/Job!

Nothing but issues!

On my Montero which has a windshield like a Jeep = Rock catcher. They were the only ones installing my glass as that's who USAA uses. 1) Dropped glass on hood! Dent, they paid Dent Wizard to pull it. 2) Had the glass replaced so many times they would not warranty the job as they said the body where the glass sits was rusted. It was from the removal tool they used that tore up the channel.

On my other Subaru the rubber molding around the glass shrank and they refused to fix it. Again siting it was not there repair. Yet it was there name stamped in the glass.

If you can get USAA to use the factory glass go for it.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I did not ever have a problem with Safelite's work but I did have a problem with the crappy glass that they used on my GL. The slightest rock hit would cause the glass to star and or run.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:08 AM

GL550
Sorry to rant all over this! Most people don't care! I do and care! I can spot a non OEM piece of glass. Once you replace the factory glass it's never the same.

The problem lies with the insurance companies. You pay retail prices for coverage, yet they want to do wholesale work and less when it comes to pay out. They make you whole again at your expense and that's all that's required. They don't care how many times you have to get pissed off or take it back, they look at it as they did their job and off to the next victim! It's a racket!

SafeLite is cheap at everything! The others are not any better but you would think not since it's their bread and butter.

You're paying for it in the end through your premiums, so why not get the quality that one expects!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Go with OEM, the polarized look on our pricier windshields look "upper tier".